• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

At what age is to young to lift?

Bigtoe

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
My boys are interested in lifting but is 10 too young? I cant see any harm unless they go too much on their tendons and ligaments. Any input on this?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

opinions may vary here... I would teach short wind sprints and time him so he can compete against himself. Chin-ups, some sort of box jumps or long jumps things using his bodyweight for resistance are better suited for a young boy still growing

I agree with the previous two responses. I think anything under 13 is too early to train with moderate to high poundage weights.

The ONLY thing out there showing lifting at a young age being dangerous is a study that involved children who were INJURED while lifting and even then it was damage to the growth plates that were the real "danger". Then again my buddy broke the growth plate in his femur in high school falling off a horse so it can happen to anyone doing anything.

While their hormones arent quite in overdrive yet, their body is still deciding what it wants to do. GH is elevated, you put your kids on a solid routine and keep them safe and i can guarantee they will be 100x better off than if they wait till they are 16 or 17 or 18.

Minimum age at my gym is 12. So someone on a corporate level predetermined 12 as an acceptable age, but again, look at most high level athletes. They were killing it as kids. They were taking fight sports or swim or were highly active young.

If youre confident in your abilities as a teacher, start training them now. As long as you dont push their egos and force too much weight on them too quickly there should be no problems other than them being jacked teens.

I think Monte has the best approach. Get them doing bodyweight stuff but I would let them start lifting once they get to a solid level.

Also, when did I think it's ok to let my own son train with weights?

Not until Jr high when they started with them in football and such so 7th grade.

My son has zero interest in going to the gym so, I haven't taken him personally. I don't think it's healthy to push things like weight training on your kids unless they do show interest.

General health, yes. Staying active and TRYING to get them to eat healthier choices of food is always on my mind especially since I was very over weight most of my life. 5'4 280lbs in Jr high was no fun. Worse then 300+ in 2009 like I was even.

What they eat I'm trying to work on. They are out for summer and eat crap all day. They want to totinos pizza once a day along with a dose of ramen and no telling how many bowls of lucky charms they go through a day. Luckily they have the genetics to eat crap and stay around 7% or lower for one of the twins.

I keep healthy choices around for them to eat. I have tried not buying crap food then they stop eating and try to live on cereal. Except for breakfast and dinner, meals I'm in charge of, they continue to eat terrible.

Not until Jr high when they started with them in football and such so 7th grade.

My son has zero interest in going to the gym so, I haven't taken him personally. I don't think it's healthy to push things like weight training on your kids unless they do show interest.

General health, yes. Staying active and TRYING to get them to eat healthier choices of food is always on my mind especially since I was very over weight most of my life. 5'4 280lbs in Jr high was no fun. Worse then 300+ in 2009 like I was even.
There is no way I would have ever guessed you were overweight. That is a very impressive turn around!

IML Gear Cream!
Body weight stuff at that point imo.

Maybe some very light curls so he feels like he's building his arms up.
Think we will start with this. They are twins and should work out well. One will always try to outdo the other.

There is research showing certain nutrition in Pre pubescent boys will jump start or increase testosterone production during puberty. I’d focus on nutrition and push ups, cardio. Then when they when puberty hits start throwing weights around with them. My boy is 5 and he is always flexing on me.....and grabbing his junk. He’s obsessed with his weiner lol

There is research showing certain nutrition in Pre pubescent boys will jump start or increase testosterone production during puberty. I’d focus on nutrition and push ups, cardio. Then when they when puberty hits start throwing weights around with them. My boy is 5 and he is always flexing on me.....and grabbing his junk. He’s obsessed with his weiner lol
My oldest boy was obsessed with socks. I was outside his window in the winter and found a pile of socks frozen to the ground. I was like wtf socks dude? use your damn hand a piece of ass does not feel like a sock!

Lol......when he turns 18. Embarrass him with a bday gift of those same socks and maybe a pocket pussy or something. Lol

Wow bro, I’m impressed man...I’m like fucking proud of you dude!! Now I understand the dedication you have. You’re good dude keep up the hard work!!

My oldest started at 12 with me. hes now almost 16 and starting to look like a young arnold, including the shaggy ass hair. lmao.

My 6 yr old son will grab his moms 2lb or the zumba weights and will do some curls every now and then. Over the weekend we were watching some ab training exercises and he displayed some interest in that, so I will be doing abs at home with him until he loses interest. Which with his attention span, tomorrow maybe. LOL.

What they eat I'm trying to work on. They are out for summer and eat crap all day. They want to totinos pizza once a day along with a dose of ramen and no telling how many bowls of lucky charms they go through a day. Luckily they have the genetics to eat crap and stay around 7% or lower for one of the twins.

I keep healthy choices around for them to eat. I have tried not buying crap food then they stop eating and try to live on cereal. Except for breakfast and dinner, meals I'm in charge of, they continue to eat terrible.

I do not understand. They are 10. You are their father. Are they buying their own Lucky Charms and flipping you off and eating it when you try to feed them eggs and oats? I am a little lost. Do they tie you up, steal the car keys and your wallet, and drive to the store to buy Tortino's Pizza?

I do not understand. They are 10. You are their father. Are they buying their own Lucky Charms and flipping you off and eating it when you try to feed them eggs and oats? I am a little lost. Do they tie you up, steal the car keys and your wallet, and drive to the store to buy Tortino's Pizza?
Its a long story but long story short their mom. My ex wife. They all live with me but she buys this crap to give them and their teenage sisters. I once had control now fucked up and gave part of that back. Trying to fix that but easier said than done.

I am wondering if lifting heavy weights at a young age has an effect on their height as they get into puberty.

No. The only impact it has on height is when there is damage to the growth plates. But that is the result of improper training/too much weight coupled with an impact injury. Its been like 10 years since I saw the study that they had published.

If anything, lifting and physical training would encourage growth as the boost in HGH and testosterone would encourage more growth before the growth plates completely calcified and "shut".

Its a long story but long story short their mom. My ex wife. They all live with me but she buys this crap to give them and their teenage sisters. I once had control now fucked up and gave part of that back. Trying to fix that but easier said than done.
:wits: <---- And that's all I have to say about that! I empathize.

Get Shredded!
My boys are interested in lifting but is 10 too young? I cant see any harm unless they go too much on their tendons and ligaments. Any input on this?

My son begs to work out and lift with me but I haven’t let him until recently. He’s 10 and i stick to a body weight routine with him. We’ve had growth plate issues during baseball so I worry about more injuries at a young age that might hinder him when he gets older. He really enjoys anything he gets to do in the gym.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with you^^^ not to mention soft tissue injuries... Id stick to bodyweight and sprinting... My son is now 17 and he is built and shredded just from pushups, sprints and body weight type resistance. Of course with my genetics hahaha

They started last night have them doing push sit ups and dips etc. I gave them 3, 5, 10 and 15lbs dumbells max they can use. Ordered some bands for them to use at home too. I told them I would work out a routine for them this weekend to start next week for 3 days and if they stick to it for a month will go to 5 days.

Thats great brother. I started with my son when he was 14. We did a little bit of weights. I didnt have much at home then. We did p90x together. He lasted for a while and then didnt want to workout any more. I said ok. Later on he started going to the gym on his own. He still goes and he is 24 now. It didnt last in the begining but i planted the seed.

I would encourage swimming instead of lifting weights.

The one that really wants to lift already swims.

Great. A martial art then. Something like judo or BJJ would teach discipline and hierarchy. Weights after 16. Another good sport for youngsters is rowing.

Great. A martial art then. Something like judo or BJJ would teach discipline and hierarchy. Weights after 16. Another good sport for youngsters is rowing.
Both are already in TKD. lol

I do not think 10 is too young at all. I started working out at that age and didn't have any trouble infact grew up being told I was "stout" and "barrel chested" so maybe it was a good choice. Just like you said make sure they aren't lifting real heavy and also they do cardio stuff like running, riding bikes, just running and playing outside stuff.

I do not think 10 is too young at all. I started working out at that age and didn't have any trouble infact grew up being told I was "stout" and "barrel chested" so maybe it was a good choice. Just like you said make sure they aren't lifting real heavy and also they do cardio stuff like running, riding bikes, just running and playing outside stuff.
I lived outside at that age could not get me in the house for nothing. Alot of kids today just want to play video games and watch YouTube. Crazy how society and kids are changing. Seems to me getting lazier and lazier. When I was a teen I had a paper route, washed cars, shoveled snow etc anything I could do to make a dollar. I offer kids 100 bucks a day to come help me out and I cant get one to show up.

Back