• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

ART Topic Cardio 6/18

Montego

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
This week's topic for the vets is cardio.

How, why, when, what type, and so on.

Please ask our vets questions but, as normal in these topics, only vets are wanted to their opinions on the question.

@Oldschool
@tren2k14
@toureagv8
@REHH
@skipfoursome
@sherk
@heavyiron
@jerseydevil
@vision
@ldog

Outstanding topic.

Thoughts on fasted vs non fasted cardio?

Thoughts on LISS vs HIIT?

In terms of efficacy for fat loss, effect on muscle loss especially in the legs, etc

I'll move to the sidelines on this one, lol. :p

I haven't done cardio in two years so I'll wait to catch my breath too lol

What is good time duration to do if I like steady state cardio? Should I be trying to keep heart rate at a certain level . My cardio would be for fat loss.

What is good time duration to do if I like steady state cardio? Should I be trying to keep heart rate at a certain level . My cardio would be for fat loss.

LISS cardio is what I used to do the last time I did cardio regularly. I would shoot for a heart rate of 125-130 BPM for 30 minutes after my training.

I would say the minimum you need to produce fat loss. Heart rate where @toureagv8 mentioned.

This is going to be determined by how much you're already doing, body fat, when you do it and so on.

I typically start guys on 20 minutes of fasted LISS 3 days a week and increase from there over an extended period of time.

I'm also a big believer in doing cardio as far away from training as possible. Don't want to waste any energy before the session, shouldn't have enough energy after a session to be effective lol.

Also with HIIT, splitting up the cardio and training is a must but it also allows a two points of EPOC.

If I want profound changes in my look I need a lot of HIIT and some LISS. Usually at the end of a cut I'm up to ten 45 min cardio sessions per week. Post training or fasted is most effective for me.

04e34da34991a6d18a302d5a5f5394a5.jpg

IML Gear Cream!
In all honesty, I don’t do cardio. I’ve never really needed to. I have an extremely high metabolism. But for clients, yes. I try to split their cardio up from their training if their schedule permits. Incorporating some cardio immediately following your training is actually a great idea. Fasted HIIT in the am and LISS immediately post training has always gotten my clients good results. Not all of them are on that type of program though. Time duration will vary as well. Typically starting out at 15-20 min sessions and working their way up to 45 min sessions by the end of our program. Unless the time line won’t permit our they’re advanced already like a competitor.

Let's go over the basics so anyone can design their own program.

DETERMINING TRAING ZONES.
Heart rate reserve or Karnovin method.
1. Find your resting heart rate. This is your beats per minute while you are first awake and still in bed.
2. 220 minus your age.
3. Subtract your heart rate.
4. Multiply by desired intensity.
5. Add your heart rate back in.
Example:
48yrs old HR=72bpm. 40% inten.
220-48=172
172-72=100
100×.40(intensity)=40
40 + 72 (bpm) = 112
So for this, at 40% intensity, target heart rate is 112.

Now lets define intensity ranges .
Light = 30% - 39%
Moderate = 40% - 59%
Vigorous = 60%-89%
So the upper range of our example for moderate intensity would be 163 bpm.

Using calculated training zones we can design a program.
FOR GENERAL HEALTH AND WEIGHT MANTENANCE
150 minutes of moderate cardio per week done in 3-5 sessions or 75 minutes of vigorous intensity done 2-3 days per week.
Intensity and volume can be gradually increased to meet goals.

I feel like waste my time while doing cardio. I always add more weights instead of doing cardio but IDK maybe I should up my ass and run a bit

Using calculated training zones we can design a program.
FOR GENERAL HEALTH AND WEIGHT MANTENANCE
150 minutes of moderate cardio per week done in 3-5 sessions or 75 minutes of vigorous intensity done 2-3 days per week.
Intensity and volume can be gradually increased to meet goals.

Can you go into the health benefits that go with doing cardio. I think its important that people understand that cardio isn't just for losing weight. Heart health should be a concern of all AAS users. not to mention quality of life for those of us that are active outside... Mt. Biking Hiking alpine adventures. lung capacity and heart health are important.

I do not have coaching advice or a program to follow, I only know what works for me based on past experience.

I determine how much cardio based on my Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE), caloric consumption and weekly results.

In general I do cardio when cutting only and never do HITT, LISS only. During LISS I keep my heart rate at 120-125 BPM, that works great for me.

With the right amount of calories I start a cut with 20 minutes of LISS five days a week and I look for 1.0-1.5 pound drop in body fat per week. If I get under 1.0 pound loss per week I up the cardio to 25 or 30 minutes, I have gone as high as 40 minutes.

I cannot do fasted cardio as I feel it effects me negatively not having fuel in my furnace to have a fire to burn..........referring to my metabolism needing food for fuel.

For me fasted cardio stalls my metabolism, but I know others swear by it, has not worked for me.

Once I am down to desired body fat and I start bulking I generally drop the cardio and add calories slowly so not to blow up what I accomplished during the cut.

I do not have coaching advice or a program to follow, I only know what works for me based on past experience.

I determine how much cardio based on my Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE), caloric consumption and weekly results.

In general I do cardio when cutting only and never do HITT, LISS only. During LISS I keep my heart rate at 120-125 BPM, that works great for me.

With the right amount of calories I start a cut with 20 minutes of LISS five days a week and I look for 1.0-1.5 pound drop in body fat per week. If I get under 1.0 pound loss per week I up the cardio to 25 or 30 minutes, I have gone as high as 40 minutes.

I cannot do fasted cardio as I feel it effects me negatively not having fuel in my furnace to have a fire to burn..........referring to my metabolism needing food for fuel.

For me fasted cardio stalls my metabolism, but I know others swear by it, has not worked for me.

Once I am down to desired body fat and I start bulking I generally drop the cardio and add calories slowly so not to blow up what I accomplished during the cut.

Same here... I typed up a long-ass reply but it disappeared and I'm not typing it again

I try to do 3 treadmill sessions of 15 minutes fast walking 3 times per week. I'll switch it up every few months and drop the treadmill and decrease my rest time between sets as a form of cardio. I'm not a huge cardio guy anymore but while in my unit in the USMC, I ran like crazy. Now, I make the calls on how much I run! The biggest benefit of cardio is an improved lipid profile which for guys who blast and cruise year round...you need to incorporate this into your lifestyle. If your workouts are hard core, you don't need a ton of cardio. The key to this is how hard you push yourself during your workouts. Hardcore is different to each person. My two cents.💪

Can you go into the health benefits that go with doing cardio. I think its important that people understand that cardio isn't just for losing weight. Heart health should be a concern of all AAS users. not to mention quality of life for those of us that are active outside... Mt. Biking Hiking alpine adventures. lung capacity and heart health are important.

Excellent point.

Physiological adaptations to cardio:
1. The left ventricle (heart muscle) becomes stronger and actually larger with chronic cardio.
2. Resting heart rate goes down. (Heart beats slower at rest allowing more work to be done with less effort)
3. VO2 max improves. ( body uses more oxygen allowing more work to be done)
4. Greater caloric expenditure.
5. Stroke volume (heart beat output) improves.
6. Decease prevention. Cardio can help prevent cardiovascular, metabolic and renal deceases, mostly by weight management, and is one of the best medicines for those with these deceases.

Question, is doing cardio broken down into 2 categories? One for weight loss and one for heart health? I despise cardio. I don't need it for fat loss. I'm around 255 lbs and 10-11% bf. If anything, I need it for heart health. I get winded pretty quick, but usually running tren that kills my breath. Cardio is no fun when running tren.

Get Shredded!
Question, is doing cardio broken down into 2 categories? One for weight loss and one for heart health? I despise cardio. I don't need it for fat loss. I'm around 255 lbs and 10-11% bf. If anything, I need it for heart health. I get winded pretty quick, but usually running tren that kills my breath. Cardio is no fun when running tren.

Depends...
1. How much weight loss is needed will dictate the duration and intensity of the volume of cardio needed. You can do very long duration at lower intensities to produce weight loss but wont stress your CVD system.
2. Heart benefits in healthy individuals is most beneficial when cardio is done at moderate - vigerous intensities.

I try to do 3 treadmill sessions of 15 minutes fast walking 3 times per week. I'll switch it up every few months and drop the treadmill and decrease my rest time between sets as a form of cardio. I'm not a huge cardio guy anymore but while in my unit in the USMC, I ran like crazy. Now, I make the calls on how much I run! The biggest benefit of cardio is an improved lipid profile which for guys who blast and cruise year round...you need to incorporate this into your lifestyle. If your workouts are hard core, you don't need a ton of cardio. The key to this is how hard you push yourself during your workouts. Hardcore is different to each person. My two cents.💪

15 minutes of moderate intensity cardio daily can be beneficial but wont produce the health benefits that longer duration sessions will. Consider that it takes roughly 3 minutes for your body to start using its aerobic energy pathway and you are left with only 10-12 minutes of actual cardio work. Not to mention that EPOC (exercise post oxygen consumption) will be virtually non existant because the CVD system hasn't been stressed long enough. 15 minutes would be a good warm up period for resistance training though.

At a HR of 120 - 125 you are not doing LISS but moderate intensity steady state.

At a HR of 120 - 125 you are not doing LISS but moderate intensity steady state.

I do 110-120bpm for LISS, Then if doing HIIT I'll go up to about 140 2-3x per session. HIIT is best for lowering blood pressure and heart health.

I do 110-120bpm for LISS, Then if doing HIIT I'll go up to about 140 2-3x per session. HIIT is best for lowering blood pressure and heart health.
This is about where I'm at. 100-120bpm LISS for 40-45 minutes. I usually only do this on non weight training days. For HITT I use an elliptical, bpm gets to 140, I go 3 rounds after a weight training session (on a cut). Sometimes I'll do 10 minutes of HITT followed by 30 minutes of LISS. At least for me there is quicker way to get in good cardiovascular shape then doing 3-4 HITT sessions a week

Back