• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

ART Topic Goal setting 6/4

Montego

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
This week's topic will be

Behavior modification and goal setting and how to incorporate it into training/diet.

The idea here is what changes do you make to these aspects of your regiment to help you attain your goals.

Thank you @Oldschool for this topic. If you don't mind going first to see some of your ideas.

@heavyiron @sherk @skipfoursome @REHH @toureagv8 @tren2k14 @vision @ldog

This week's topic will be

Behavior modification and goal setting and how to incorporate it into training/diet.

The idea here is what changes do you make to these aspects of your regiment to help you attain your goals.

Thank you @Oldschool for this topic. If you don't mind going first to see some of your ideas.

@heavyiron @sherk @skipfoursome @REHH @toureagv8 @tren2k14 @vision @ldog

Can’t remember if this is the thread where I’m not supposed to comment; feel free to delete if so. I’m looking forward to this one. Exactly what I need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Behavior modification and goal setting are used in sales, drug rehab, marketing etc. Trainers use these tactics to help their clients and you can use these powerful tools to achieve your goals.

There are 4 stages to change according to the Trans Theoretical Model:
PRECONTEMPLATION. you are not thinking about s certain change.
CONTEMPLATION. just thinking about it. No action taken yet.
PREPERATION: decision made but no action yet.
ACTION. action started but not a habit yet.
MAINTENANCE. the action has turned into a habit.

We can see these stages in dieting for example. Also note that one can fluctuate between stages - like preperation and action... like making a decision to diet, starting it and then quitting but still thinking about it.
If we recognize these stages in our own dieting/training attempts we can better recognize how to move e from one stage to the other.

There are also recognized behavior influences.
1. Our thoughts towards something
2. Our attitudes towards something
3. Our behaviors (habits)
4. Our circle of friends, family, peers
5. Our environment
Recognizing and dealing with these influences allows us to better plan for our success...

Goal setting.
THE most powerful tool in your toolbox.
SMART goals are:
1. SPECIFIC. Detailed and narrowed down as precisely as possible. Be able to write it out in a sentence.
2. MEASURABLE. "I want to lose weight" is not measurable. "I want to lose 10lbs" is measurable.
3. ACHIEVABLE. Set a goal that you can accomplish.
4. REALISTIC. Is benching 800lbs realistic? Maybe 350lbs sounds more reasonable.
4. TIME SENSITIVE. This is why some never achieve their goals: there is no time frame. "I want to lose 20lbs in 10 weeks has a time limit and you are far more likely to stay on track and achieve that goal.

I suggest writing goals down.
Try it for one specific goal and see how well it prepares your mind for success.

Hard to say much more than what old school already said, he's obviously well informed on the subject, I agree with pretty much everything he said. Setting realistic goals is always a good idea. Keeping logs of everything you do can help a lot. I only log AAS use now, but I've been at this a long time and feel that's all I need at this point for my goals. I used to log workouts and diet as well which is very helpful. So my advice to help someone achieve their goals is keep detailed logs.

Last edited:
Yep...oldschool is speaking truth. I agree that having a goal is extremely important....at least for me as it helps keep me pushing and growing both physically and mentally. I also never forget where I came from and what it took to get where I'm at today. Again, oldschool said it best. It's worth printing his posts and putting them on the fridge. Every week, read the comments and apply the knowledge.

Love it @Oldschool

I like the SMART goal acronym better then the DUMB goal one.

I recently had a member ask me about what I did mentally to change my life and this is a very good example.

One thing I do that helps me with EVERYTHING Oldschool posted is meditation. Not the traditional idea is meditation where you're humming though.

Every morning before I get started with my day I'll sit in a relaxing place, usually outside when it's still cool and the birds are chirping, and think about what I need to do that day to be successful and achieve my goals.

I'll spend about 10-15 minutes in silence enjoying the outside and just relaxing, clearing my head and sorting my duties.

I run EVERYTHING through my head. My meals I need to pack, my training, my work, my father duties husband duties, house work and so on.

For me, being an addict and alcoholic, this is something I HAVE to do. It gives me the ability to stop and think when I do have indecision in my life. That goes from drugs and drink all the way down to food.... Craving junk? Stop. Get away from it. Drink 20oz of water. That's usually enough time to have it pass.

Another powerful behavior change tool:
Surround yourself with people that have achieved your goal.
1. You will hold yourself more accountable.
2. You will find more support and encouragement.
3. You will learn through visual (watching) audible (listening) and mimmicking their behavior.

An example would be a person who is trying to begin exercising. What would be a better choice for him/her? To hang around people that sit around the TV and binge eat all day or people that incorporate fitness and healthy eating in their daily lives? (Thats what forums should do, IMO)

Another thing that needs to be covered is: RELAPSE.
Planning for handling relapses will make the difference between giving up on your goal or completing it despite barriers that can arise.
Ex: what will I do if fall off my diet or training?
Do I just give up or do I have a PLAN to get back on track?
Honing this skill will pay off in the long run as you train yourself to be more successful. Set backs are only failures if they make you give up on your goal. Set backs can be used as a teaching moment as they will force you to re-evaluate and adjust your behavior to accomplish what you set out to do.

IML Gear Cream!
I find myself struggling to participate in this topic mainly because bodybuilding has been a lifestyle for me and I'm not great at setting short term [measurable] goals. I mean, my goal has always been to be as big and as strong as possible, and based on Oldschool's feedback above my goals aren't very specific and not measurable.

With that said, I do maintain a training log which I find that I look back on frequently and that's been very helpful. My weight training is always based on progression and if I identify that things aren't moving in a positive direction with the weights or with my body composition I take action and make changes to see if I can illicit a response.

I find myself struggling to participate in this topic mainly because bodybuilding has been a lifestyle for me and I'm not great at setting short term [measurable] goals. I mean, my goal has always been to be as big and as strong as possible, and based on Oldschool's feedback above my goals aren't very specific and not measurable.

With that said, I do maintain a training log which I find that I look back on frequently and that's been very helpful. My weight training is always based on progression and if I identify that things aren't moving in a positive direction with the weights or with my body composition I take action and make changes to see if I can illicit a response.
This topic can be applied to any facet of our lives

Gotta love Corp America with their endless meetings and initiatives...

I'm going to apply this towards improving my role as a father. Want to try to make this summer memorable for my kids. Weekdays are rough and weekends are packed with chores and house repairs. Gotta change that.

On a side note, this thread is simplified by the following quote:

"Ain't nothing to it, but to do it"

Ronnie Coleman

Tell that to my kids at least twice a day

After a couple of deployments I decided to tell my sailors this:
Set a goal. Getting fit. Getting fat. Save money. Go home broke.
Because one thing is certain, not having a goal means your life is in stasis. You will leave here after one year no different than before.
"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there.-Lewis Carrol

Gotta love Corp America with their endless meetings and initiatives...

Yep! And the SMART goals aren't enough. We are expected to set at least one "stretch" goal also...because showing up on time and doing your job is never enough. [insertpukeemoji]

I'm sure everyone has heard this before but, if you write down your goals you're 1000x more likely to achieve them.

I used to carry around a laminated note card that had mine wrote on it.

Makes sense. You seem like a very driven person who doesn't need much motivating to complete a task whether you enjoy it or not. Not many people like you in the world.

You do have daily short term goals though. You just don't think about them

Makes sense. You seem like a very driven person who doesn't need much motivating to complete a task whether you enjoy it or not. Not many people like you in the world.

You do have daily short term goals though. You just don't think about them

This...
This is what makes Tv8 so successful... he does this subconsciously.

Goal setting for me is a bunch of small goals leading to one major that way I still feel I’m accomplishing something. Now that I’m being honest I don’t necessarily have to set a goal or get into a mindset to reach it I should say I’m just a doer by nature if I want it I’ll have it.

Now my clients on the other hand I do much more then bodybuilding coach for them i life coach and help them set up there goals and make sure they stay satisfied never full still hungry but satisfied at that moment and time.
I help rewire brains so that goal doesn’t seem so unattainable because it is yours just are you willing to work for it?

Treat your small wins just like your big and keep pushing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back