Thread: GH lab results.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    347 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Montego1 View Post
    Looks to me like it just says unit
    Please explain. I ran a text search on the entire text and do not find what you just wrote.
    "plasma IGF-I concentrations of less than 350 U per liter during a six-month base-line" not unit
    "In group 1, the mean plasma IGF-I level rose into the youthful range of 500 to 1500 U per liter during treatment, whereas in group 2 it remained below 350 U per liter" Not unit

"In group 1, the mean plasma IGF-I concentration ranged from 200 to 250 U per liter throughout the base-line period (Table 3). Within one month after the administration of growth hormone had been initiated, the mean IGF-I level rose to 830 U per liter (P<0.05), and it remained near this value for the next five months." Not unit.
    And so on in every example of IGF-1 results.

I searched the text of the entire study, and the only time "unit per liter" is mentioned is in the dose of growth hormone injected, not IGF-1 levels.

Unless they specify what unit is used, you're just assuming.
    Well, true, I am, but I am assuming based on all of the available evidence, including the information I gave you above about the letter u being used for the Greek letter u, as shorthand for micrograms, ug, as the general reference back then due to the unavailability of the Greek letter in fonts to publish. That is no longer the case, but it was in 1990 (remember what word processors were like back then?). I admit I could be wrong, but all of the evidence points to me being right, not wrong, and there is no counter evidence yet.

But you can clearly see the refrence range posted in his lab work on the high end of normal.
    Yes. If you look at reference ranges by age, you will see it drop even lower than that by age each decade after the 20s. My question to you is twofold - (1) is that the standard? Think about testosterone? Would you want to use the low end of the published range right now for your doctor's "normal?" Lots of doctors do.
    (2) Why do we see such lower IGF-1 results than studies?

I suppose I could go out and find more modern studies with U being replace by ug.

Super Moderator
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,610 Posts
    Rep Points

Units Per Litre (U/L)

The results of some medical tests are reported in units per litre (U/L).

A unit is an arbitrary amount agreed upon by scientists and doctors.

A litre is a measure of volume that is slightly larger than a quart.

A kilo unit is one thousand units. It is written kU/L. Some medical tests are reported using this stand

See the first bullet point.
    Read the Rules Please
    Monster Labs Rep
    Montego10 for 10% off at
    http://Www.Mymonsterlabs.Com

Use code Montego15 for 15% off at
    http://Straightupkratom.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    347 Posts
    Rep Points

Ok, so which one is arbitrarily agreed upon by scientists and doctors, so that we can make some sense out of what you are saying with respect to this particular study? Note they did write "unit" when referring to dosing, but only U when referring to IGF-1 test results, so they knew how to write unit if that is what they wanted to write. It seems much more plausible they they were using U to stand for the Greek u . . .

But if you tell me this agreed upon unit so that I can figure out if it makes sense with respect to this study, that would help a lot. Oddly, if you go with the ug it all fits just fine when your read the study (and by the way, I have stumbled upon several other studies from around the same time period that are written the same way). Which other arbitrarily agreed upon unit fits? It would have to make sense in a way that other researchers reading would knew what these authors meant, right?

Super Moderator
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,610 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by malfeasance View Post
    Ok, so which one is arbitrarily agreed upon by scientists and doctors, so that we can make some sense out of what you are saying with respect to this particular study? Note they did write "unit" when referring to dosing, but only U when referring to IGF-1 test results, so they knew how to write unit if that is what they wanted to write. It seems much more plausible they they were using U to stand for the Greek u . . .

But if you tell me this agreed upon unit so that I can figure out if it makes sense with respect to this study, that would help a lot. Oddly, if you go with the ug it all fits just fine when your read the study (and by the way, I have stumbled upon several other studies from around the same time period that are written the same way). Which other arbitrarily agreed upon unit fits? It would have to make sense in a way that other researchers reading would knew what these authors meant, right?
    I'm gonna let you figure this one out on your own.

I've explained my point. Op blood work shows the ranges.

You're just trying to either cause an argument or discredit a product. Either way I'm not playing with you anymore.
    Read the Rules Please
    Monster Labs Rep
    Montego10 for 10% off at
    http://Www.Mymonsterlabs.Com

Use code Montego15 for 15% off at
    http://Straightupkratom.com