• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

ART Topic of the Week Nutrient Timing 4/23

IML Gear Cream!
I would love to see a couple members post up their meals for each day and if they're cutting, bulking, or maintaining. Along with their training time in there with pre and post workouts noted.

and monte, in the other thread you mentioned no/low carbs on workout days and carbs post workout on training days.
so are you not taking carbs preworkout and only doing carbs post workout but not the rest of the day?

im currently experimenting with high carbs Wednesday and Sunday (leg day and soccer day) and low carbs the other 5 days.
im just interested in what everyone else has done or tried with success or failure.
And I am a believer in timing of food. I do agree that you need to get the right food in every day, but I gain easy and timing does make a difference for me.

Since we are on the topic of nutrient and nutrient timing why not base a diet like a sustanon blend protein wise. If the body can only absorb a certain amount of certain proteins at a time why not stack multiple types and to take it even further do it to create a bigger Time release and a constant feed for your body.

I won’t get to in depth because I don’t want to give out one of my ideas before tested. If you can only absorb 10gwhey in a hour 6g eggs don’t Remember exact amount for fish beef and chicken and cottage cheese you could set all these sources to keep feeding after the fast protein sources are burned. This would not be like a whey mix this would all be sourced from real food. So if your set meal is 50g protein you could get it from these sources and still absorb in the one hour time frame without being limited from excess of one type of protein.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could take it even further and do your carbs the same way.

So correct me if I'm wrong, it seems your goal in the above is to keep your body confused?

What is your typical carb intake on your "low" days?
What's your typical fat intake on "load" days? or do you even bother to track it?

After hearing you break this down in more detail, it appears I may already be doing something kind of similar already, but I'm only allowing myself one load day (24 hours) per week, and I haven't been consciously manipulating my fats like you are. I'm going to start by adding another load day and bump up my fat intake to 150g on my low carb days and see what happens. Does it sound like I'm on the right track here?

Good shit, Monte!

I wouldn't say confusion. More live taking advantage of situations you're enducing.

My low days are trace carbs from nut butters, almonds and veggies

Fats on low days are as low as possible. I won't add any fats to any meals and I'll use carb sources that are very low in fat. I try to stay under 30g but, it depends on how much I'm loading if that's possible. These carbs can be whatever I like. Low fat pancakes, syrup, fruit, fat free fig Newton, rice, pasta, low fat pasta sauce, sushi (not rolls just fish and rice), cereals and so on.

Depending on how I set up my carb cycle, how many carbs and how far between loads things can change a lot.

I never did a seven day cycle since that's a bit too long. Normally 4. Would get up to 800g of carbs in a day easily.

Since we are on the topic of nutrient and nutrient timing why not base a diet like a sustanon blend protein wise. If the body can only absorb a certain amount of certain proteins at a time why not stack multiple types and to take it even further do it to create a bigger Time release and a constant feed for your body.

I won’t get to in depth because I don’t want to give out one of my ideas before tested. If you can only absorb 10gwhey in a hour 6g eggs don’t Remember exact amount for fish beef and chicken and cottage cheese you could set all these sources to keep feeding after the fast protein sources are burned. This would not be like a whey mix this would all be sourced from real food. So if your set meal is 50g protein you could get it from these sources and still absorb in the one hour time frame without being limited from excess of one type of protein.

I like the idea of varying protein sources to get full amino acid profiles but, never thought of it in the way you're talking...... I could definitely see how that would work.

I would love to see a couple members post up their meals for each day and if they're cutting, bulking, or maintaining. Along with their training time in there with pre and post workouts noted.

and monte, in the other thread you mentioned no/low carbs on workout days and carbs post workout on training days.
so are you not taking carbs preworkout and only doing carbs post workout but not the rest of the day?

im currently experimenting with high carbs Wednesday and Sunday (leg day and soccer day) and low carbs the other 5 days.
im just interested in what everyone else has done or tried with success or failure.
And I am a believer in timing of food. I do agree that you need to get the right food in every day, but I gain easy and timing does make a difference for me.

Here's a second vote for this Monte.

Could you post what your meals look like for your two to three low day cycle? I'd like to know also what is your pre-workout meal/post workout on your low carb days.

Thanks

Edit: I saw your post #24

Im such an ectomorph and had my gallbladder removed so im a atypical eater. I have a hard time eating enough, have to eat micro meals all day.

Here's a second vote for this Monte.

Could you post what your meals look like for your two to three low day cycle? I'd like to know also what is your pre-workout meal/post workout on your low carb days.

Thanks

Edit: I saw your post #24
Typical day on non training/low days

5 whole eggs
5oz 96/4 beef

50g whey
2tbsp pb

8oz chicken breast
1 large avocado

7oz 93/7 turkey
1/2c almonds

8oz chicken breast
2 tbsp evoo

10oz flank
1 small avocado

I don't consider myself a nutritional expert but this has been working wonders for me. I started this the first of the year after not lifting or eating correct for awhile. Carb cycling goes maintenance, high, low, high, low, high, low, and starts on Sunday.

Maintenance - C230/P230/F77
High Carb - C345/P144/F38
Low Carb - C144/P259/F77

Whole eggs/egg whites
Oatmeal

Whey protein
Almond milk
Banana

Steak
Red potatoes
Veggies

Turkey
White rice cooked in chicken broth
Fruit/veggies

Fish (salmon)
Sweet potato

Casein protein
Almond milk

Depending on my workout time I may switch the meals around.

^^^^^
You are definitely cycling carbs but the variable that is giving you results is calorie cycling. You are cutting cals by almost 300 in your high and low carb days.

Get Shredded!
I wouldn't say confusion. More live taking advantage of situations you're enducing.

My low days are trace carbs from nut butters, almonds and veggies

Fats on low days are as low as possible. I won't add any fats to any meals and I'll use carb sources that are very low in fat. I try to stay under 30g but, it depends on how much I'm loading if that's possible. These carbs can be whatever I like. Low fat pancakes, syrup, fruit, fat free fig Newton, rice, pasta, low fat pasta sauce, sushi (not rolls just fish and rice), cereals and so on.

Depending on how I set up my carb cycle, how many carbs and how far between loads things can change a lot.

I never did a seven day cycle since that's a bit too long. Normally 4. Would get up to 800g of carbs in a day easily.

oh wow...Thats alot of carbs. I did the keto diet and i kept them between 15-20g per day until loading up on Friday night to Saturday night. wish i could say i used clean carbs, but we had pizza on fridays typically. it did work though, i went from 268lb, dirty dirty dirty bulk, to 208 in about 6-8 months, late night cereal is my weakness. Sitting around 218 currently, but with much more muscle mass. Having trouble bulking shoulders currently, but thats for a different post.....

oh wow...Thats alot of carbs. I did the keto diet and i kept them between 15-20g per day until loading up on Friday night to Saturday night. wish i could say i used clean carbs, but we had pizza on fridays typically. it did work though, i went from 268lb, dirty dirty dirty bulk, to 208 in about 6-8 months, late night cereal is my weakness. Sitting around 218 currently, but with much more muscle mass. Having trouble bulking shoulders currently, but thats for a different post.....
If you're doing a Palumbo style keto diet, you can't really load enough to fill back out unless you are going dirty.

I've talked to quite a few competitors who followed Palumbo's approach but would do a skip load on their seventh day because they couldn't get full on just a single dirty meal.

If you're doing a Palumbo style keto diet, you can't really load enough to fill back out unless you are going dirty.

I've talked to quite a few competitors who followed Palumbo's approach but would do a skip load on their seventh day because they couldn't get full on just a single dirty meal.

I found this to be true for myself, also. I'm no where near keto, but I am doing lower carbs. When I started out I was allowing myself one cheat meal per week. After a few weeks of that I realized it wasn't enough so I bumped it to a cheat day. I'm going to start working towards the model that you are doing above that you kindly layed out for us.

I found this to be true for myself, also. I'm no where near keto, but I am doing lower carbs. When I started out I was allowing myself one cheat meal per week. After a few weeks of that I realized it wasn't enough so I bumped it to a cheat day. I'm going to start working towards the model that you are doing above that you kindly layed out for us.
If you need any pointers lemme know.

It's a very simple concept but there are tricks I left out

Thank you, Monte.

So now that we've gotten into "what to eat", can we get more into nutrient timing? Is nutrient timing based mostly around training (pre, intra, post), or are there some other secrets to it for the rest of the day?

Here's meal #3, by the way...
Grilled chicken thighs
Broccoli
2 tbsp olive oil
C3oxOfK.jpg

Thank you, Monte.

So now that we've gotten into "what to eat", can we get more into nutrient timing? Is nutrient timing based mostly around training (pre, intra, post), or are there some other secrets to it for the rest of the day?

Here's meal #3, by the way...
Grilled chicken thighs
Broccoli
2 tbsp olive oil
C3oxOfK.jpg
This may get long winded.

So I do two types of carb cycling. One is when I'm gaining, the other is when I'm cutting.

The gaining type is more of a calorie restriction like Oldschool mentioned above based on Nocode's layout which is similar to what I do but based on training days. I DO NOT like a traditional carb cycle or keto with loads when I'm trying to gain size. It's too hard to manage imo since so much can vary from load to load when you're in an excess of calories. Ie tracking your weight.

This type of cycling is VERY much set up on timing macros around training.

The one I listed before, with multiple low days, followed by a load is not as rigid.

The multiple low days should have a pretty consistent amount of protein and fats in each meal. The only variable would be the pre workout meal having some extra fats in it to fuel training but, if you're training later in the day and have been feeding consistently, that's probably not needed.

Now if you train early, yes, you will need to add in some fats to your pre workout meal. Mct, coconut, extra virgin oils work nicely since they are used so well for energy.

Protein sources are pretty self explanatory. Early first meal should be a quicker digesting protein like eggs/whites. Meals after that your typical chicken, fish, or turkey. Last meal of the day I prefer beef since it's digestion rate is a bit slower.

The way you pair your fats to your protein matters as well. Besides first and last meal, you want to offset the protein source with the fat. So let's say whey and pb combo. Quicker digesting protein with a fat that will slow down digestion a bit. Chicken and Coconut Oil. Slower protein with a quicker fat. The consistent flow of nutrients here will keep energy up since that's a pretty typical problem with a low carb plan for a lot of people.

Loading days. Two ways to do it.

One way is cut protein in half with zero added fats and VERY minimal fats in carbs.

Other way is keep protein the same with the same rules on fats but, you cannot use as many carbs. This works very well for those who are carb sensitive in general or, haven't gotten to a point where they can load enough carbs without going backwards.

Either way, on load days split carbs evenly in every meal besides the last meal of the day which is zero carb. Carbs can be whatever. Timing here isn't important really. You can place things in certain spots like fruit in the morning with your first meal or sugary cereal post workout but, it doesn't make a big difference unless, again, you train early. Then I would have a client load quite a bit of fruit pre, some type of intra carb like HBCD's cereal post, pancakes after then rice or potato the rest of the day.

I missed a lot I'm sure. Please ask if I didn't quite answer your question.

You could do a cheat meal once per week then 3-4 days later do a load day (no fat). For me that setup is gold.

What about supplement timing? Any specific supps or steroids at specific times?

Do any of you take vitamins or supps that help regulate blood sugar like Berberrine?

I know this has been asked but since we have all of you in one thread what vitamins and supps do you guys take everyday?

What about supplement timing? Any specific supps or steroids at specific times?

Do any of you take vitamins or supps that help regulate blood sugar like Berberrine?

I know this has been asked but since we have all of you in one thread what vitamins and supps do you guys take everyday?
Let's save this for a future Q&A?

Or, ask it in the general thread please.

Trying to keep things streamline so I can catalog them at a later date.

So I eat 5x a day, first meal at 445a.m. ish depending on my snooze button. First meal is 1 3/4 scoops of protein powder with 10.5oz strawberries (gonna try out adding in 1/2c of oats starting nxt week per GarlicChicken and Vision) 1tbs peanut butter, and an 8-10oz apple. I drink 1 3/4 scoops of protein powder post workout
Meals 2-5 are 3/4 hours apart and are basically the same with a meat protein, veggie and fat. This week its been 6oz pork chop, 3/4c broccolli and .75oz of pistachios or cashews. Im 6”2 215lb and id say aroundd 18% bf what do yall think about this?

Back