Pretty disappointed with Quest Labs...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Rep Points

Pretty disappointed with Quest Labs...

Iím lucky that I have a doctor who will let me do almost (within reason) any lab work I want to. I just have to space them out. I also have to have CBC tests done every month or so. My numbers are always within a certain range...literally for years they have been. I also had asked my doctor for a testosterone and estradiol test since Iíve dropped a lot of body fat. That test was done 4 weeks ago.
    I decided to get a full hormone and lipid test done at mdlabs/quest just to familiarize myself with the process before I started my cycle, since I donít want my doctor seeing my results.
    I got my results today from the lab done on Monday. My hemoglobin, hematocrit, Test and e2 were WAY high compared to what I got last month. So because I have an open script at my doctors Lab to get CBCís done whenever, I went this morning and already got my results back. Completely different hematocrit and hemoglobin.
    Quest had me high in both as well as in my cholesterolís which were both fine a month ago and Iíve been gearing up with my diet since then so it should only have gotten better...worst case stayed the same.
    I realize tests can fluctuate...and yes, every test I take within the same hour 10-11am. My test has been around 490-500 and with quest it was 626. My e2 is usually 15-25, with them it was 32.
    My hemoglobin and hematocrit were perfectly normal...actually low end of normal. They had me at 50.8 hematocrit. I was 46.0 at my doctor. Blood pressure is perfect at 117/74 so Iím thinking my doctors labs are the correct ones.
    Now Iím fucked when I take shit...Iím going to be thinking I need to give blood or up my AI and I really donít.
    Kind of sucks ass.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Rep Points

Those numbers are not really that far off, shit can fluctuate pretty rapidly. And likely they both use the same lab for the testing and results.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Rep Points

Nope, different testing labs. Iím 47, my test hasnít been over 500 but once in 8 years and it barely was over. Now Iím in the 600ís?. But mostly itís the hematocrit and hemoglobin. I get mine tested so often that I just know myself and my range. I have my history of both saved for the past few years and itís never been as high as quest had it, not even close. I get tested at 2 different facilities that individually test their own labwork and they are very consistent with each other. Quest was way high on everything.
    Just makes it impossible to assess and adjust properly during cycle. For the cost of these tests, youíd think that they would calibrate their testing machines better. Itís very unlikely that both unrelated labs that are very similar throughout the year but are both wrong and Quest is right. Quest is off.

Iíve been tested 53 times in the last 3.5 years by both labs. Never once has my numbers been as high as Quest.

Oh well. Just sucks. I donít trust them now. I know my body. Might have to let my doc find out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Rep Points

Just got my ferritin test back, which is the indicator to me that my hematocrit would be high if my ferritin is high (I have to donate when my ferritin gets over 120 and when it does, usually my hematocrit will go to 49 or so.) Even though quest had me at 50, which itís never been at once since Iíve been testing almost biweekly for my hemochromatosis.
    So my results were that my ferritin was within my optimal range, no need to donate and no chance my hematocrit was 50 like Quests labs said. My test says 46. Huge difference when dealing with hematocrit. Done with MDLabs and Quest. Iím sure some testing facilities of theirs are accurate. But how will you know if yours is? Tests shouldnít fluctuate like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    186 Posts
    Rep Points

Personally I think you are overreacting. Those numbers are very, very close. No way in hell your numbers will stay the same. If they gave, you might want to be suspicious of the normal. Lab.

Community Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    507 Posts
    Rep Points

Hydration will effect Hematocrit. I always go in loaded with water. Dehydration usually will cause a higher reading.

All posts are for entertainment and may contain fiction. Consult a medical doctor before using any medication. heavyiron does not advocate readers engage in any illegal activity. Do not contact me about sources or advertisers as I know nothing about their business.