• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Anybody do rack pulls?

Btheman

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
I have to visit the chiropractor monthly because of a lower back problem. This makes it really hard to deadlift . When I was younger I could pull over 500 for reps now anything over 225 and I can’t walk the next day. So I have been watching John Meadows on YouTube . He has a lower back problem and sewers rack pulls are the way to go. I tried them today . Went to 315 for two sets of 6 . No pain so far . Does anybody else do rack pulls? If so do you think they build core strength like a full deadlift?

I cannot deadlift due to a lower back injury and have been working on thickening up my lower/mid back. Rack pulls are a staple in my back training. Obviously you are not getting the quad/ham/glute recruitment that a full deadlift provides, but if you are working around an injury, who cares? I feel like they do a nice job working my posterior chain.

I love rack pulls.

I do them as well as my lower back is toast.

Do you do them on the squat rack or smith machine? I keep telling my son I want to incorporate it into our back workouts for my lower back issues. 15 yrs old and getting bigger than me, not too much longer and he will be outlifting me for sure.

Do you do them on the squat rack or smith machine? I keep telling my son I want to incorporate it into our back workouts for my lower back issues. 15 yrs old and getting bigger than me, not too much longer and he will be outlifting me for sure.

Squat rack, bar just below my knees. I’ve never tried doing them with a smith machine but I can’t see why it wouldn’t work with it.

Squat rack, bar just below my knees.
Same here as well with having the bar set to just below my knees which means bar is 8-10 inches off the floor.

Squat rack, bar just below my knees. I’ve never tried doing them with a smith machine but I can’t see why it wouldn’t work with it.

I've tried them in a smith and I don't like it at all. Being locked into the vertical plain of the smith prohibits your body's natural movement, and the bar rolls in your hand so the catch has a tendency to bang on the bar stops. Fucking annoying.

I use rack pulls as a plateu buster for my deadlifts. Cycle them in once or twice a month.

Squat rack, bar right below the knees. Allows for a 10-15% weight increase vs my deadlifts. Love it.

I love rack pulls. We have a smith machine at our gym that does not have the pulley system. So basically the 50lb bar is the true weight. So I do the rack pulls off of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just recently started doing rack pulls myself and love them.

I like throwing rack pulls and weighted hyperextensions in every other week.

Yes alternate from deads every week. I can do more weight 4 plates for reps 8-6 and add more when feeling stronger.
Sometimes after rack pulls I lighten the weight and do rack shrugs. Same way just shrug at the top. More like a power shrug.Traps sore next day guaranteed!

I do them in the power rack. Last summer my goal was to lift past my body weight. I achieved it plus more. 135 for 15 reps x 3. May not seem like a lot of weight for most people, but pretty good for a 58 year old female!!

I do rack pulls as an accessory movement after deadlifts. Usually set the pins at where ever my sticking point is in the deadlift. I'm really fast off the floor and sticking point is right above my knees. Really focusing on contracting the glutes and hip extension on rack pulls.

Get Shredded!
Thanks for the input . Looks like I will keep doing them. Back is sore but no pain like deadlifts do me the day after.

Yes alternate from deads every week. I can do more weight 4 plates for reps 8-6 and add more when feeling stronger.
Sometimes after rack pulls I lighten the weight and do rack shrugs. Same way just shrug at the top. More like a power shrug.Traps sore next day guaranteed!

Friday I finally tried rack pulls. Only did 135lb just to try it out but will be upping the weight next time. Went straight to shrugs afterwards. Nice little combination.

Rack pulls are great. Especially when working to finish the top part of the deadlift. Are they as effective as a full deadlift? I don't think so but do feel like the same muscles are definitely worked. Also really depends on how high u start the bar. Rack pulls are definitely a great alternative though if previous injuries are a issue with performing a full range of motion. Who knows, stay at one height for a while and if all goes well and form stays strong move down to the next pin placement for the rack and so on, u may surprise urself and eventually get down to the floor gradually and over time.

I cannot deadlift due to a lower back injury and have been working on thickening up my lower/mid back. Rack pulls are a staple in my back training. Obviously you are not getting the quad/ham/glute recruitment that a full deadlift provides, but if you are working around an injury, who cares? I feel like they do a nice job working my posterior chain.

I’ve had similar issues with back, I fractured lower spine few years ago and SI joint gives me trouble from time to time. Recently had x-ray to confirm.
So my question is what are you doing to get those
Massive legs of yours!??
I would love to do dead’s but I really don’t wanna fuck myself up.
What types of lifts would you recommend for lower half? Or should I just say fuck it and try deadlifts?

I’ve had similar issues with back, I fractured lower spine few years ago and SI joint gives me trouble from time to time. Recently had x-ray to confirm.
So my question is what are you doing to get those
Massive legs of yours!??
I would love to do dead’s but I really don’t wanna fuck myself up.
What types of lifts would you recommend for lower half? Or should I just say fuck it and try deadlifts?

You don't have to do deadlifts to develop big legs. If that were the case mine wouldn't be anything to speak of. I have two herniated discs that I've been working around since 1994. Luckily, the only movement I cannot do is deadlifts. Squats and leg presses never bothered me so I've pounded my legs with these movements over the years. Heavy compound movements in the 6-10 rep range have been the key to my leg growth.

Hell yea love love i can focus more on my back then full deads. Wide grip weighted pull ups, rack pulls, bb rows ,and close grip rows have done gteat for me. I wanted to add size and went to the basics and put on 24 pounds . rack pulls are a great movement

Back