• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Best Quad Excercise for Bad Knees

bigmoe

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Does anybody have any recommendations for a movement that can really help define the quad. I have terrible knees and cant really do heavy squats but am really curious what I can do to get a nice sweep going.

Whatever movement that you are able to perform without any pain.

You mentioned "heavy" squats. What about higher rep/lighter weight squats? And let me be clear that I'm speaking of old fashioned barbell squats. I've had three knee surgeries,( one due to a car accident) and I perform barbell squats and leg extensions, and both exercises have played a big part in my total knee rehabilitation. But I stay away from hack squats and smith machine squats. And I also make sure to put equal effort into building the hamstrings with leg curls, as well as the calves with standing calf raises. The knee joint needs to be equally supported on all sides by these other muscle groups. otherwise, you can create an imbalance. In addition to this, I would suggest trying weighted lunges, (as long as you already have a decent degree of quad development built up from these other exercises).

Foot placement and the way I let my knees tavel made the biggest difference.

I started turning my toes out very slightly and letting my knees travel out instead of keeping them straighter. This sounds counterintuitive but it's a more natural ROM. This will also place more tension in the outer part of the quad aka sweep.

Leg extension different ways of doing it pyramid it but those blow up your quad if you just wanna skip the big movements like squat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hack squats very deep with toes out some helped my knees . . . going deep reduced the weight and made a big difference in the way that my knees felt. Sounds counterintuitive that going deep would help knees, but it did.

I got to have a knee replacement soon and I found doing high rep leg ext. then doing light weight high rep zercher squats helped me with sweep and didn't cause knee pain.Also like tall Deck said do some hamstring exercises also.

I avoid leg extensions altogether now, and my knees have thanked me for it. I used to love them, but it got where they were painful.

Hack squats very deep with toes out some helped my knees . . . going deep reduced the weight and made a big difference in the way that my knees felt. Sounds counterintuitive that going deep would help knees, but it did.

sounds counter-intuitive but for those that really understand the mechanics of the knee it's not at all.

IML Gear Cream!
I don't understand the mechanics of the knee, but I do know it worked.

I had a buddy who would go really light on leg extension and he had a huge quads never squared a day in a his life and stuck to a couple of machines. I had a operation on my knee to flip a chunk of it to stunt my growth at first it was painful after a while it adjusted. Avoiding knee pain is really hard have to tried using stuff like compression pants or brace?

Does anybody have any recommendations for a movement that can really help define the quad. I have terrible knees and cant really do heavy squats but am really curious what I can do to get a nice sweep going.

There is not one that I know of.

I would lay off the leg exercises.

Whoa! What?!? :hmm:

Lmao yeah they did that when I was 14 but I started training legs hard at 17 at first leg extensions hurt but it passed I use a knee brace for a couple of weeks then it passed my body adjusted

Back