• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 🩺Muscle Gelz® HUMANOGEN® - Powered by Ibutamoren® Increases Growth Hormone! (Transdermal - No Injecting!)🏥

Oven bags for a cleaner approach.

CoachCabo

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
So I know plenty of folks use the oven for dry heat sterilization. It grosses me out thinking about using your dirty ass oven for supposedly cleaning vial, etc.

I used to only use an oven to be sure there was no moisture in my glassware before running through the autoclave. Now I am faced with cooking my vials in the oven too.

I am considering transferring my RFS commercially washed and packaged vials into oven bags (inside my hood, of course) then baking those suckers for about an hour at 200c (just under 400f).
Just seems like this would be a significantly cleaner approach than open baking in your kitchen oven.

Thoughts?

I can't see any reason why this shouldn't work well, though I'd be tempted to try it on a small batch to start, just in case the stoppers aren't as heat tolerant as you might like.

Ditch the kitchen oven. There is a better option..

How many vials are you trying to heat at one time?

Why do you ask? You DEA man?

Why do you ask? You DEA man?

Whoa 358 vials? That is potentially a shit load of gear you brewing. All those should fit nicely in a large cookie sheet.

Only need 250F for sterilization, 30 mins is Good, stoppers and caps will do fine at that, 400F probably not so much.

Only need 250F for sterilization, 30 mins is Good, stoppers and caps will do fine at that, 400F probably not so much.
You sterilize your caps? I just spray mine with Febreeze.

I was only going up to 400f because the bags will take it. Overkill is my middle name. I'm actually probably just going to end up going to one of the mini hospitals here and pay them $20 to run the trays of vials through their big autoclave since they are ready-to-go packaged.

I was mostly talking about oven bags as an alternative to give some other folks some ideas. Anything to add a degree of cleanliness to the process.

I use a clean toaster oven . 100 bucks or so at Wally and box it back up and put it away for next time . Cost less than my hot plate. No need to use your oven. Not sure you can put that many in it but I don’t make a life times worth in one batch .

You sterilize your caps? I just spray mine with Febreeze.

I was only going up to 400f because the bags will take it. Overkill is my middle name. I'm actually probably just going to end up going to one of the mini hospitals here and pay them $20 to run the trays of vials through their big autoclave since they are ready-to-go packaged.

I was mostly talking about oven bags as an alternative to give some other folks some ideas. Anything to add a degree of cleanliness to the process.

Yeah caps, stoppers and vials on a stainless steel tray and covered with a sterile drape at 250F for 30min. Pre wash with Sano128(hospital grade disinfectant), rinse with hot water, next is alcohol bath, then dry heat sterilization in the oven.

That video is bound to give someone an abscess.

It astounds me the lack of understanding of microbes by people trying to do aseptic work.

That video is bound to give someone an abscess.

It astounds me the lack of understanding of microbes by people trying to do aseptic work.

You just need proper oven mitt technique. Also, I don’t think you really listened to the happy music.

You just need proper oven mitt technique. Also, I don’t think you really listened to the happy music.

Lol, I was researching some sterilization processes and this came up, actually several like that and some websites that had microwave techniques. Boiling in water and then baking in oven was another that I kept seeing.

""You just need proper oven mitt technique. Also, I don’t think you really listened to the happy music.""

Best comment of year so far lol

So I know plenty of folks use the oven for dry heat sterilization. It grosses me out thinking about using your dirty ass oven for supposedly cleaning vial, etc.

I used to only use an oven to be sure there was no moisture in my glassware before running through the autoclave. Now I am faced with cooking my vials in the oven too.

I am considering transferring my RFS commercially washed and packaged vials into oven bags (inside my hood, of course) then baking those suckers for about an hour at 200c (just under 400f).
Just seems like this would be a significantly cleaner approach than open baking in your kitchen oven.

Thoughts?
Ok, first off, if you have a dirty ass oven, you may be a redneck. I suggest you rent a Flip or Thai housekeeper to clean your hovel.
Next, buy a steam autoclave from Amazon, prices start under a hundo.

Sent from my DEA work phone

Anyone who thinks this is anywhere near sterile doesn’t know the first thing about microwaves, microbes, air, or oven mitts.

I'm sure an agrument can be made that this is for injestion vs injection of course. My Grandma used to boil her Mason jars then heat em in the oven.

I'm sure an agrument can be made that this is for injestion vs injection of course. My Grandma used to boil her Mason jars then heat em in the oven.

The boiling thing works great, but then you’re filling them with very hot food and pressure sealing them. It’s a completely different ball game. Not to mention that microwaves don’t heat evenly. Insects can live in microwaves by staying between the wavelengths. Microbes are a fuck of a lot smaller than insects. This is a terrible idea.

The boiling thing works great, but then you’re filling them with very hot food and pressure sealing them. It’s a completely different ball game. Not to mention that microwaves don’t heat evenly. Insects can live in microwaves by staying between the wavelengths. Microbes are a fuck of a lot smaller than insects. This is a terrible idea.

It's all over the Internet when you search, bunch of sites with how to sterilize your baby bottles in the microwave.

Last edited:
Get Shredded!
It's all over the Internet when you search, bunch of sites with how to sterilize your baby bottles in the microwave.

Yeah but this is fine when ingesting to stomach, not for injections

Not to mention the fact that baby bottles don’t actually need to be sterilized. They need to be clean, yes, but not sterile. It’s completely unnecessary, so the fact that people do it half-assed isn’t a problem.

I mean babies put literally everything in their mouths. Everything. They lick the floor.

I'm not arguing either way I just put this out there for information purposes I posted my sterilization process above in this thread.

I think as information goes, it’s terribly dangerous in a context where most people are looking for sterilization methods for injection. On the other hand, it did lead to some good discussion of why it’s not sufficient, so hopefully it will do some good by stopping some rookie from trying it themselves :)

I think as information goes, it’s terribly dangerous in a context where most people are looking for sterilization methods for injection. On the other hand, it did lead to some good discussion of why it’s not sufficient, so hopefully it will do some good by stopping some rookie from trying it themselves :)

There's some guys on here using the microwave.

There's some guys on here using the microwave.

I wouldn't doubt if there were sponsors on here using microwave for sterilization they're not held to any standard whatsoever and can use no sterilization process at all and sell to thousands of people. This is an illegal drug trade they can do whatever the hell they want and no one's going to stop them. It's all about the money they don't give a shit about People's Health, most of them don't anyway

Last edited:
Ok, first off, if you have a dirty ass oven, you may be a redneck. I suggest you rent a Flip or Thai housekeeper to clean your hovel.
Next, buy a steam autoclave from Amazon, prices start under a hundo.

Sent from my DEA work phone
JFC! I thought I was racist but your posts make me seem like the President of the Rainbow Coalition.

You can hire those ladies to clean your oven and it is still dirty in regards to the purposes of this topic.

My lab doesn't have issues with cleanliness, sterility or accuracy. My equipment assures it.
Based on the discussion I see here, I'm guessing I'm pretty close to the cleanest on this forum.

My post was about trying something different to ADD a level of cleanliness. If 250F is good for most then 400F should be better. Still won't be good enough to kill bacterial endospores but hey, that's a whole other can of worms.
Putting thing in a sealed bag has got to be better than simply draping with a cloth in an open oven.

The best suggestion I've heard was placing new, single purpose toaster ovens INSIDE your hood. The thing is, pretty much no one has a hood big enough, myself included. At least not any more.

JFC! I thought I was racist but your posts make me seem like the President of the Rainbow Coalition.

You can hire those ladies to clean your oven and it is still dirty in regards to the purposes of this topic.

My lab doesn't have issues with cleanliness, sterility or accuracy. My equipment assures it.
Based on the discussion I see here, I'm guessing I'm pretty close to the cleanest on this forum.

My post was about trying something different to ADD a level of cleanliness. If 250F is good for most then 400F should be better. Still won't be good enough to kill bacterial endospores but hey, that's a whole other can of worms.
Putting thing in a sealed bag has got to be better than simply draping with a cloth in an open oven.

The best suggestion I've heard was placing new, single purpose toaster ovens INSIDE your hood. The thing is, pretty much no one has a hood big enough, myself included. At least not any more.

That's what I did, bought a toaster oven, will probably buy some oven bags like you suggested.

I think the issue here is in the term "sterilize" which people seem to be readily substituting for "sanitize", ""Pastuerize" and "clean".
For the record, I don't do any of these for my orals in suspension. The "inject" "ingest" thing you mentioned.

It's sort of the same thing with all this discussion of air scrubbers and "clean rooms". You could run those airscrubbers in a room for 24 hours but when you walk into the room you just carried in contaminates. Move anything in the room, bump into the wall, scoot a chair and you have airborne contaminants. I would bet I could walk into said room, open an agar plate for 30 seconds and in a week have a plate so gross you'd change your mind quick on this subject.

On the other hand, you can put a proper laminar flow hood in the men's restroom at an outdoor biker rally and have a completely aseptic work area. For the most part anyway.

I would trust vials run though an All American sterilizer in autoclave indicator bags over ones cooked in an oven any day.

I guess it boils down (sorry for the pun) how clean you want to be.

I know you have access to the scrubbers so it makes sense to use them. But for the average guy, the cost of those scrubbers would be better spent on some sort of BSC or laminar flow hood. There are soooo many bad ass ones on eBay under $1,500. You just need to find one close enough to pick up.

Of course now the issue is moving it into your house. It doesn't look to good to nosy neighbors. The problem with having a proper lab for most people is that it ends up looking like...well, a lab.
Hard one to explain to visitors.

Back