• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Oven bags for a cleaner approach.

IML Gear Cream!
That's what I did, bought a toaster oven, will probably buy some oven bags like you suggested.
I only thought of the bags because I have a shitload from trying to sterilize grain in them. A major fail. Living somewhat remotely, I have improvise frequently.
Its pretty fucking boring being retired AND living in a smallish town. I have way too much time to contemplate things. Like rewriting recipes while waiting forever for raws to arrive.

I think the issue here is in the term "sterilize" which people seem to be readily substituting for "sanitize", ""Pastuerize" and "clean".
For the record, I don't do any of these for my orals in suspension. The "inject" "ingest" thing you mentioned.

It's sort of the same thing with all this discussion of air scrubbers and "clean rooms". You could run those airscrubbers in a room for 24 hours but when you walk into the room you just carried in contaminates. Move anything in the room, bump into the wall, scoot a chair and you have airborne contaminants. I would bet I could walk into said room, open an agar plate for 30 seconds and in a week have a plate so gross you'd change your mind quick on this subject.

On the other hand, you can put a proper laminar flow hood in the men's restroom at an outdoor biker rally and have a completely aseptic work area. For the most part anyway.

I would trust vials run though an All American sterilizer in autoclave indicator bags over ones cooked in an oven any day.

I guess it boils down (sorry for the pun) how clean you want to be.

I know you have access to the scrubbers so it makes sense to use them. But for the average guy, the cost of those scrubbers would be better spent on some sort of BSC or laminar flow hood. There are soooo many bad ass ones on eBay under $1,500. You just need to find one close enough to pick up.

Of course now the issue is moving it into your house. It doesn't look to good to nosy neighbors. The problem with having a proper lab for most people is that it ends up looking like...well, a lab.
Hard one to explain to visitors.

There's a medical supply company 20 minutes from my house that have nice used 6-foot laminar hoods for 1000 to $2,000 but it's not practical for me with the friends and family that visit my house, would not work in my situation.

I don't know if it was me who suggested the ovens inside the flow hood.. but that's exactly what I do. My flowhood is 6ft though. It may be tough to fit it in smaller ones.

I need to get off my lazy ass and buy a nice autoclave.. but the mini ovens are so much fun!

There's a medical supply company 20 minutes from my house that have nice used 6-foot laminar hoods for 1000 to $2,000 but it's not practical for me with the friends and family that visit my house, would not work in my situation.
Damn, that's too bad! I wish I had easy access like that. I had a five footer but just sold it to the university because it was over kill. Now I wish I had it back. Same with my bigger autoclave. We don't allow people over to our house. Only maybe 6 people know where we live. The paranoid remnants of an occupational habit.

Like I said though, you could buy a six footer and use it in your garage for beautifully aseptic conditions.

Damn, that's too bad! I wish I had easy access like that. I had a five footer but just sold it to the university because it was over kill. Now I wish I had it back. Same with my bigger autoclave. We don't allow people over to our house. Only maybe 6 people know where we live. The paranoid remnants of an occupational habit.

Like I said though, you could buy a six footer and use it in your garage for beautifully aseptic conditions.

If they had a 4ft I woulda bought it, only the huge 6fters. You gave me an idea though, I have a 7ft high dirt crawlspace under part of my house, it's fully encapsulated with 12mil poly, cement walls painted with waterproof antimicrobial membrane, ceiling Joists treated with a waterproof antimicrobial as well. It has Double Wide Doors, I drive my lawnmower under there. I could put a 6-foot laminar down there probably. Would I still be aseptic?

If they had a 4ft I woulda bought it, only the huge 6fters. You gave me an idea though, I have a 7ft high dirt crawlspace under part of my house, it's fully encapsulated with 12mil poly, cement walls painted with waterproof antimicrobial membrane, ceiling Joists treated with a waterproof antimicrobial as well. It has Double Wide Doors, I drive my lawnmower under there. I could put a 6-foot laminar down there probably. Would I still be aseptic?

If the hood is properly hooked up, maintained, and operated, it'll be aseptic anywhere.

If the hood is properly hooked up, maintained, and operated, it'll be aseptic anywhere.

I was only kidding, would never put one down there. I know theoretically a laminar will work in any conditions but on some of my equipment to replace the HEPA filters is over $200, working in an environment with heavy particulates would clog up the HEPA filters pretty quick. I would hope the laminars have multiple pre-filters to extend the life of the primary HEPA. Some of my scrubbers have 3 pre-filters before you even get to the HEPA. I put new pre-filters in on every job.

Last edited:
Wanted to bump this thread with an update.

I finally tried this oven bag thing.
Bear in mind that I buy washed, ready for sterilization vials in autoclave bag/trays. I opened the bags in laminar flow and put 50 vials into each oven bag. Then I put them in the oven in a SS tray for one hour at 200c. Next time I'll do 250c. Oven bag mfg says not to exceed 400f but I doubt that's the actual limit.
I left them in the oven to cool. Pulled them out and placed them in a cabinet.
It was so easy just grabbing a bag of 50 when I needed it.
Pretty sure they are pretty safe after this operation.
I was able to do 600 vials easy this way.

I think a person could use this for big media bottles too, although the caps would still need to be autoclaved.

Wanted to bump this thread with an update.

I finally tried this oven bag thing.
Bear in mind that I buy washed, ready for sterilization vials in autoclave bag/trays. I opened the bags in laminar flow and put 50 vials into each oven bag. Then I put them in the oven in a SS tray for one hour at 200c. Next time I'll do 250c. Oven bag mfg says not to exceed 400f but I doubt that's the actual limit.
I left them in the oven to cool. Pulled them out and placed them in a cabinet.
It was so easy just grabbing a bag of 50 when I needed it.
Pretty sure they are pretty safe after this operation.
I was able to do 600 vials easy this way.

I think a person could use this for big media bottles too, although the caps would still need to be autoclaved.

I bought some but haven't used them yet, sounds like it works well

Get Shredded!
You gonna test the sterilization at all? I’d be tempted to sacrifice a few to testing - put some rich media in them, cap them, and leave them for a few days to see if anything grows. I suspect your protocol is probably fine (though I’d be more comfortable with 250C), but a little paranoia never hurt anyone.

You gonna test the sterilization at all? I’d be tempted to sacrifice a few to testing - put some rich media in them, cap them, and leave them for a few days to see if anything grows. I suspect your protocol is probably fine (though I’d be more comfortable with 250C), but a little paranoia never hurt anyone.

“you gonna put some science on them?” is what I read

Lol! I thought Febreeze would do the trick.

I was embarrassed to post this because I thought I'd get accused of overdoing it again...

I sealed them and shot some agar/dextrose LC media in them. No growth after 5 days so far. I don't expect there to be any either.
whats another 50c betweenfriends anyway.

Btw, I am starting to suspect igfm really is a person. A Mexican Gio, but still a person.

Lol! I thought Febreeze would do the trick.

I was embarrassed to post this because I thought I'd get accused of overdoing it again...

I sealed them and shot some agar/dextrose LC media in them. No growth after 5 days so far. I don't expect there to be any either.
whats another 50c betweenfriends anyway.

Btw, I am starting to suspect igfm really is a person. A Mexican Gio, but still a person.

My man. I never should have doubted you :)

I cook vials and stoppers in pressure cooker, then rinse with alcohol and bake for a while in aluminum foil pouches.

Back