• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Wanna hear from the women on this forum, advice on training

LowTman

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
My wife has come around and wants to start a beginners training in the gym. The typical fallback is to have her do what I do with lighter weights. But wanted to hear from the ladies or me who train women. I’d like to start with some basics and not overwhelm her. Hoping she catches the bug and advances from there.

She cycles, walks/jogs and does other thing to be fit. However, I thing that she would really get into the gym once she sees some structure for her and gets over any intimidation that gyms can give to newbies.

All advice welcome, guys too.

LowT

When I started out I found everything intimidating. It helped to limit my learning to 4 movements at a time, get those down solid, and then start adding one or two new things every week or so. Find out what she wants to fix, and then explain how the movement she’s learning will help gets her where she wants to be. There are also certain kinds of workout that tend to be more gender-specific because women tend to be more interested in having a great ass than killer pecs and such, so it might be helpful to find women bodybuilders with good YouTube channels and see what they’re focusing on.
If she’s worried about getting too bulky, you might need to reassure her that the vast majority of women just aren’t built to bulk - it’s really hard for us even when that’s our goal, so she doesn’t need to be afraid to push bigger weights once she’s got a base built up.

The biggest obstacle is convincing a woman that her best bet is to train like a man and that she's not going to turn into Chyna from the WWE as a result. Start her on squats, deadlifts, and bench presses and work from there, My wife made the biggest progress doing the same movements as me when she trained. All the serious women at my gym (some compete, some don't) all train like this as well. They are all very feminine and have beautiful physiques. Leg extensions, crunches, and Body Pump classes only get you so far.

Does she want to try it out LowT? If shes saying she does maybe offer to take her a few times to get her comfortable with the free weight area. Thats a game changer for us once we feel comfortable with them, machines are so deadly dull. But it is a little intimidating when you dont know what your doing and that area is filled with big strapping boys. Try and keep it low key and stay with her the whole time for a few days until she feels ok to do it on her own. Everyone is different, she may be bit by the bug and may not. I just know that Ive done this for several of my female friends. They want to workout like I do but dont know where to start, do NOT want to look foolish and need to be with someone else helping them along until they feel confident to go it on their own. Its some sort of female pack mentality I guess, Like how we wont go to the bathroom alone
:roflmao:

Does she want to try it out LowT? If shes saying she does maybe offer to take her a few times to get her comfortable with the free weight area. Thats a game changer for us once we feel comfortable with them, machines are so deadly dull. But it is a little intimidating when you dont know what your doing and that area is filled with big strapping boys. Try and keep it low key and stay with her the whole time for a few days until she feels ok to do it on her own. Everyone is different, she may be bit by the bug and may not. I just know that Ive done this for several of my female friends. They want to workout like I do but dont know where to start, do NOT want to look foolish and need to be with someone else helping them along until they feel confident to go it on their own. Its some sort of female pack mentality I guess, Like how we wont go to the bathroom alone
Mrs R. Makes a great point.

Being embarrassed and uncertain is probably the number one thing that keeps ANYONE out of the gym, especially women.

I would suggest taking her to the gym with you during the slowest time you can. Take YOUR ass into the women's section, if your gym has one and the ladies there don't mind, usually they don't if you explain why you're in there. Show her simple movements. Don't train yourself, if you want to train with her, use what she is using. My wife felt silly and was upset that when we trained the first time we had to rack and unrack so many weights she felt like she was wasting my time.

Make the next however long it takes about her. That in itself is very motivating and I promise it will help.

^^^^Thanks. All good stuff right there.

LowT

Back