• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 🩺Muscle Gelz® HUMANOGEN® - Powered by Ibutamoren® Increases Growth Hormone! (Transdermal - No Injecting!)🏥

How many sets for person who had long layoff?

Trace Pyott

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
I recently started lifting again. I've been on a really strict diet and have lost 40lbs in 4 months. I started weightlifting to start adding some muscle and to preserve the muscle I got (I still want to lose another 20lbs). Anyways, I used to be in amazing shape but I haven't consistently lifted in prob 12 years or so. Anyways on Monday for example I did chest. I did the Power matrix workout which is basically flat bench barbell and
1 set of 8
1 set of 5
1 set of 3
3 sets of 1 rep approx 80% of 1rm
1 set of 5

After that I did 3 sets of 10 of incline dumbbell press. I'm so weak and out of shape that right as soon as my muscles started burning they literally failed and went limp like a noodle. It's like my endurance failed before the muscle could get pumped lol. Anyways 3 days later and I'm still super super sore. So my question is, since I'm so sore is that enough volume and sets for growth? My gut says if I'm sore then I def worked the muscle enough. It's like that will all my muscles btw. I did back and biceps lastnight and they fatigued so early and are super sore and I only did 6 sets lol. Should I just stick with this volume until I'm no longer sore and then add a few more excercises and sets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At this point I would say stick to what you have started with. Your muscles will definitely need to become accustomed to strenuous resistance again but they will get there. I would also suggest warming up before your working sets listed above and for the rest of your routines. Just very light higher reps to warm up and get some blood into some of the muscles before beginning.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

It's a double edged sword I guess. I know about muscle memory and all that so the gains I get will probably come really fast and easy but the bad part is how freaking weak I am now lol. In my prime I weighed 165 at about 12% bf and could bench 380x 1. I was 17 then. Now I'm 32 and I weigh 192 down from 230 (I'm 5 foot 5 so I was really fat ) and this week doing that routine 165x 3 was rough lol. Oh well we all gotta start somewhere.

Hey it’s definitely something that tugs at you I get it completely. There will be a little bit of mental battle that you will experience through this and if you cut through it you will be back and honestly potentially better. Just depends on your long term goals in reality.

Back