Facebook    Twitter    YouTube    Instagram

Cold filtering😫😫😫😫

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 29 of 29
  1. #16
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    444

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    69
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    Rep Points
    2147483647

    Any technique that reduces the number of transfers/glassware required without sacrificing accuracy, is the way to go. Having said that. A little practice, and pouring right from the neck of the receiver flask into the vial can be done quite well.

    I learned to pour into 1ml vials with the 13mm neck size(the narrow neck most pharm. vials use) directly from the neck of 100ml and 250ml volumetric flasks when I was doing a lot of quantitative analysis work. Saves a lot of time, and pipettes. You almost don't believe it can be done until someone shows you, though. Your first though is "Yea fuckin right, you want me to take that volumetric flask and pour into that tiny little 1ml vial without dumping the whole thing in my lap, yea fucking right."

    JR, I don't know if this little gem has made it your way or not, but get a roll of teflon tape at the hardware store. It's a pure film of teflon used to help seal threads on water/gas pipes. Put a couple of wraps on the male part of your ground glass connection. BAM, no more leaking, no more stuck joints. And, if you find your filter membrane support leaking between the funnel and the lower fritted part, put a couple of wraps around the OUTSIDE of that joint after it has been assembled, the vacuum will do the rest to keep it sealed up. Be careful, you will be able to pull a much harder vacuum now that you have done these two things, you'll have to find something else to do with your time that you save filtering...

    I need to write a book, Practical Lab Techniques and Beyond: An Introduction to Practical Chemistry and Lab Techniques for the Entrepreneur.

  2. #17
    Old
    JRotten's Avatar


    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    11,619

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    70
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    301
    Thanked in
    212 Posts
    Rep Points
    2135851380

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil6502 View Post
    Any technique that reduces the number of transfers/glassware required without sacrificing accuracy, is the way to go. Having said that. A little practice, and pouring right from the neck of the receiver flask into the vial can be done quite well.

    I learned to pour into 1ml vials with the 13mm neck size(the narrow neck most pharm. vials use) directly from the neck of 100ml and 250ml volumetric flasks when I was doing a lot of quantitative analysis work. Saves a lot of time, and pipettes. You almost don't believe it can be done until someone shows you, though. Your first though is "Yea fuckin right, you want me to take that volumetric flask and pour into that tiny little 1ml vial without dumping the whole thing in my lap, yea fucking right."

    JR, I don't know if this little gem has made it your way or not, but get a roll of teflon tape at the hardware store. It's a pure film of teflon used to help seal threads on water/gas pipes. Put a couple of wraps on the male part of your ground glass connection. BAM, no more leaking, no more stuck joints. And, if you find your filter membrane support leaking between the funnel and the lower fritted part, put a couple of wraps around the OUTSIDE of that joint after it has been assembled, the vacuum will do the rest to keep it sealed up. Be careful, you will be able to pull a much harder vacuum now that you have done these two things, you'll have to find something else to do with your time that you save filtering...

    I need to write a book, Practical Lab Techniques and Beyond: An Introduction to Practical Chemistry and Lab Techniques for the Entrepreneur.
    . I use parafilm I have for mycology


  3. #18
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    444

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    69
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    Rep Points
    2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by JRotten View Post
    . I use parafilm I have for mycology
    It will help with the seal, but make sure none of your product comes in contact with it.

    A little tip about the parafilm you may or may not know.

    The parafilm is designed to be stretched before usage. (good god damn thing, that shit is expensive!)
    One layer of parafilm will allow free air exchange (oxygen etc.)
    Two layers of parafilm will NOT allow free air exchange.

  4. #19
    Anabolic Savant
    tone's Avatar


    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Zakynthos, Greece
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,109

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    546
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    302
    Thanked in
    182 Posts
    Rep Points
    2147483647

    Phil.. me you and a few select members need to start our own forum.

  5. #20
    Board Rep
    BOARD REP
    velociraptor44's Avatar


    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    16,235

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    372
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    437
    Thanked in
    311 Posts
    Rep Points
    2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by tone View Post
    Phil.. me you and a few select members need to start our own forum.
    I agree you two are wizards!

    personally i would like to see admin here make a sub for you guys to kick around. Same with Zygl for a supplement subforum

  6. #21
    Senior Member
    Doomed's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    397

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    8
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Rep Points
    2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by tone View Post
    Phil.. me you and a few select members need to start our own forum.
    Let me know where you go if you do. Im there

  7. #22
    Member


    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    84

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    21
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    17
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Rep Points
    1700100

    Using the millipore stericup i found if i filter above 50deg C it eats the plastic in the top even with glass receiver, must be heat solvent combo and thats only using 2% 18%(no eo) just made it very very slightly cloudy.\

    next time will try 30deg C

  8. #23
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    444

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    69
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    Rep Points
    2147483647

    If im not mistaken, the plastic that couples and holds the filter on the stericup is wither HIPS or PES, neither suitable for use with the solvents we use.

    Guys, NONE of the bottle top filters or syringe filters are really made to filter non-aquesous solutions. They were really designed for use with aqueous solutions like growth media and tissue culture growth fluids.

    The only way to get this stuff to work without any problems, ever, is to be using all glass and either a nylon or PTFE membrane. PVDF will work almost all the time, but ANY other material plus BA, BB and oils like MCT or MIG and you're asking for trouble, not to mention using EO and Guaiacol.

    These little differences are the whole difference between a high PIP batch and a smooth as silk batch.

  9. #24
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    488

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    38
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    193
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Rep Points
    1029039971

    Has anyone ever purged previously opened oil or solvent bottle in a vacuum chamber. Been a few months since using them and wonder how hydrophilic some of this stuff is?
    The fact that 97% ethanol drops in percentage each time exposed to open atmosphere made me start thinking about this.
    "Don't ask me if I take steroids and I won't tell you that you look like shit."

  10. #25
    Member


    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    84

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    21
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    17
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Rep Points
    1700100

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil6502 View Post
    If im not mistaken, the plastic that couples and holds the filter on the stericup is wither HIPS or PES, neither suitable for use with the solvents we use.

    Guys, NONE of the bottle top filters or syringe filters are really made to filter non-aquesous solutions. They were really designed for use with aqueous solutions like growth media and tissue culture growth fluids.

    The only way to get this stuff to work without any problems, ever, is to be using all glass and either a nylon or PTFE membrane. PVDF will work almost all the time, but ANY other material plus BA, BB and oils like MCT or MIG and you're asking for trouble, not to mention using EO and Guaiacol.

    These little differences are the whole difference between a high PIP batch and a smooth as silk batch.

    Very new to this all apart from syringe filtering.
    With glass can you get sterile filter membranes.

    I presume with glass as well, filtering temp isnt such a worry and as you said harsher solvents.

  11. #26
    Old
    JRotten's Avatar


    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    11,619

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    70
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    301
    Thanked in
    212 Posts
    Rep Points
    2135851380

    Quote Originally Posted by Teejay View Post
    Very new to this all apart from syringe filtering.
    With glass can you get sterile filter membranes.

    I presume with glass as well, filtering temp isnt such a worry and as you said harsher solvents.
    Depends on your filter material. A vacuum filtration apparatus uses whatman filter circles so yes .22micron nylon filters are about 25 cents. You can still melt the filter, but the filtration setups really do work a lot better and the filter is at least supported by a particle type filter as well.


  12. #27
    Old
    JRotten's Avatar


    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    11,619

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    70
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    301
    Thanked in
    212 Posts
    Rep Points
    2135851380

    Quote Originally Posted by Teejay View Post
    Very new to this all apart from syringe filtering.
    With glass can you get sterile filter membranes.

    I presume with glass as well, filtering temp isnt such a worry and as you said harsher solvents.
    Depends on your filter material. A vacuum filtration apparatus is all glass and uses filter paper, I prefer nylon. You can still melt the nylon if you are super hot.


  13. #28
    Anabolic Savant
    tone's Avatar


    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Zakynthos, Greece
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,109

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    546
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    302
    Thanked in
    182 Posts
    Rep Points
    2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by JRotten View Post
    Depends on your filter material. A vacuum filtration apparatus is all glass and uses filter paper, I prefer nylon. You can still melt the nylon if you are super hot.
    This...

    You want to filter while it's still warm.. but let it cool back to room temperature before you distribute into your vials. Hot oil expands. You will come up short on your fill lines if you don't let it cool down to room temperature.
    "You can't run from trouble.. there ain't no place that far."

    STATS:
    6ft. 230lb 14%BF

  14. #29
    Member


    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    84

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    21
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    17
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Rep Points
    1700100

    So the glass filtration filters ptfe are paper? I haven't been able to find 47mm sterile ptfe membrane. The circular?

Similar Threads

  1. filtering
    By Primodan in forum Research & Homebrew Chemistry
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-02-2014, 12:20 PM
  2. Filtering hCG
    By FrankieTheWop in forum Research & Homebrew Chemistry
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-01-2014, 07:31 PM
  3. Filtering EO
    By Raped Ape in forum Research & Homebrew Chemistry
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-28-2013, 12:36 AM
  4. Bottle Top Filtering
    By Deuce in forum Research & Homebrew Chemistry
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-07-2013, 04:22 PM
  5. Filtering gear
    By Scotts125 in forum Anabolic Steroids
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-03-2013, 07:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Copyright© 2012-2017 Anabolic Steroid Forums