• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Starting to have hate for the gym I go to currently.

Gymrat79

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
My wife and I train at Lifetime Fitness. But I'm really getting sick of it, its too corporate. It gets more and more so every year.

I just dont feel that a place that is for working out should be used for pampering , I just don't. This place feels like more of a country club than a gym.

What would your advice be to me?

Depending on your location, you may not have many other options. I hate my gym (country club) also, but there are no other better options within 45 minutes from my house so I put up with all the stupidity from the dumbass members.

Depending on your location, you may not have many other options. I hate my gym (country club) also, but there are no other better options within 45 minutes from my house so I put up with all the stupidity from the dumbass members.

We have spoken before about this. When I go to my gym I feel like my teachers from high school are running the joint.

Its a joke.

Lifetime don't get me wrong is a nice facility and I like that its open 24 hours. No way shape or form is it a gym that is based around bodybuilding or powerlifting.

I'm going through the exact same thing. When me and the wife started it was all good. 3 years later everything is all fancy catering to older folks. Nothing against old folks but it just doesn't have the same vibe. Only other option is 15min further and it's a planet fitness. My wife's been there a few time enjoys it. I hear they have pizza there also lol

granabolic.is granabolic@gmail.com

My wife and I have begun talking about moving to TN (Knoxville area) and there appear to be better options in the area we are looking. In addition to that getting around town will be much easier than it is here in the Atlanta area due to all the fucking traffic everywhere so if I find a good gym across town it won't be as big a deal as it is here. I already have my eye on a hardcore gym up there that's owned by a bodybuilder ( I believe he is former IFBB) so that will be the first place that I visit during my new gym search. Hopefully it will work out. We are going up next week to look at houses with a realtor.

I'm going through the exact same thing. When me and the wife started it was all good. 3 years later everything is all fancy catering to older folks. Nothing against old folks but it just doesn't have the same vibe. Only other option is 15min further and it's a planet fitness. My wife's been there a few time enjoys it. I hear they have pizza there also lol

granabolic.is granabolic@gmail.com

What is funny is that they have pizza days for a place that shuns bodybuilders. If you make those days (Pizza is served on the same day every week) a carb loading day or just a cheat day, Pizza post workout would be awesome especially while bulking. Take advantage of it!

I have a invested in a membership there only because I travel and its cheap. They have so many locations pretty much every town you visit has one. Plus tanning is free. Much better than working out in a hotel gym anyday.

Most modern gyms suck ass bad...
I miss the 1979 YMCA I went to,and then the early 80's hardcore gyms. Hard to find a good one these days. Not a fan of the box (Crossfit type) of gyms that are around these days.
Too many nimrods jumping around like fruitcakes. Old school bodybuilding is long gone... HOWEVER, the gym I go to is pretty awesome, but only at 5 AM.
When I went after work, it was filled with modern day, cell phone toting, rubber ball bouncing, whackjobs. (YES IM ANGRY, GET OFF MY LAWN)! :)

Most modern gyms suck ass bad...
I miss the 1979 YMCA I went to,and then the early 80's hardcore gyms. Hard to find a good one these days. Not a fan of the box (Crossfit type) of gyms that are around these days.
Too many nimrods jumping around like fruitcakes. Old school bodybuilding is long gone... HOWEVER, the gym I go to is pretty awesome, but only at 5 AM.
When I went after work, it was filled with modern day, cell phone toting, rubber ball bouncing, whackjobs. (YES IM ANGRY, GET OFF MY LAWN)! :)

I agree 100 %. What is sad is that trainers and fellow gym guys don't even look out for their fellow members anymore. Just yesterday there was this kid who was very young and didin't know how to use proper form, it was really bad. Did one trainer go up to him and take him aside for a minute or two and show him the proper way to do it? Nope, just ignored him and let him continue to look like an idiot and continue to use extremely bad form.

There is no brotherhood anymore. I don't even know how young kids expect results. They sit on their phone and play on facebook or texting than actually working out. They will take 10-15 minute breaks sometimes between sets.

IML Gear Cream!
I used to go to a "family" gym. They had racquetball courts, wet and dry saunas, hot tubs and a huge lane pool. I don't go there anymore. Nobody was there to work out.

Now I work out at a small gym in a metal building that has free weights and old nautilus style equipment. There's no reason to show up if you don't want to lift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm super picky with gyms myself. Nothing too big, and nothing Commercial.

Like someone said, hole in the wall gyms with equipment that looks like Arnold was using it ;)

I used to go to a "family" gym. They had racquetball courts, wet and dry saunas, hot tubs and a huge lane pool. I don't go there anymore. Nobody was there to work out.

Now I work out at a small gym in a metal building that has free weights and old nautilus style equipment. There's no reason to show up if you don't want to lift.

I swear man, I go to Lifetime and its social hour there. More people laying in the hot tub it seems sometimes than lifting weights.

Lot of the members only join because of the pools too. They have no passion or interest for bodybuilding.

I have a membership at planet fitness because of the 24hours. Gym sucks, but it's better than nothing and I barley get to go to gold's because I'm watching the kid late.

Planet fitness is a huge contradiction- you walk in and it's all about feeling welcomed no matter how you look and NO JUDGING! Here's the kick, there's a huge sign on the wall giving the definition of a "Lunk" with a siren next to it and reads "LUNK- Someone who is slamming his weights wearing a body building tank top and drinking out of a gallon water jug.... WTF HAPPENED TO NO JUDGING?

my experience with the "country club" gyms is that they have nice equipment. all of them that i've been to have deadlift/oly platforms, all the oddball equipment you can't find anywhere and you never wait. I don't care if you can get a haircut and eat at the restaurant inside, as long as it has the equipment I want that's all that matters. Thankfully in this area the majority of the gyms are just "normal" gyms. they don't cater to any one demographic and have decent equipment. the best gym that has all the bodybuilding and strongman stuff you can dream of of course has terrible hours that I can never make. I've lived in the area for 7 years now and never gotten a full workout in the place because of their hours.

The biggest gym in my area actually has the worst hours. Close at 9pm, open late and. Lose early on Saturday, closed all day Sunday.

The small gyms near me have a keycard system where you can let yourself in even if no one is there.

I agree 100 %. What is sad is that trainers and fellow gym guys don't even look out for their fellow members anymore. Just yesterday there was this kid who was very young and didin't know how to use proper form, it was really bad. Did one trainer go up to him and take him aside for a minute or two and show him the proper way to do it? Nope, just ignored him and let him continue to look like an idiot and continue to use extremely bad form.

There is no brotherhood anymore. I don't even know how young kids expect results. They sit on their phone and play on facebook or texting than actually working out. They will take 10-15 minute breaks sometimes between sets.

^^^^This.

I have literally gone thru several machines while watching the same guy sit on his phone and fuck around on a single machine (usually one I am waiting for so that is how I notice).

Have the guys under 25 have their heads down in a fucking cell phone all day long. "Liking" this or that. They are in for a rude awakening. The are in constant need to be satiated like an infant. Women their own age who are more mature want nothing to do with them...and the guys scratch their heads and wonder why?

This country is developing too many Beta males thanks to the king beta male himself Mark Zuckenberg. IMO

What city? I grew up in Stone Mtn and Buford, GA...

I'm 22 and it's sad to see my generations work ethic in the gym! I've done a a full workout and there was still the same group of assholes my age on the same fucking lat pull down! I wanna start asking em if they are gonna do a set or stand around and fucking jerk each other off because I need the machine!

Was in the gym last night. Went around 7 pm and of course the young crowd was in there. People actually standing around talking like they are in a nightclub or whatever.

I feel like they don't appreciate the gym because the only reason they have a membership is cause they are on their mommy and daddy's family plan. They do not take it seriously.

I used to play golf professionally before I got into lifting. Never made it to the big time but I did make some checks down in Florida on the mini tours. I remember how we used to spend hours in the hot sun in the middle of summer beating balls off the dirt for hours. We would practice in the back of the range where no one would go and just worked on our game. Practicing off the dirt really made golf easier cause after doing that, and becoming good at it, you could go to any course and the conditions seemed like Augusta National. It would get like 120 degrees out there in central Florida during the day you would have sweat dripping down your face and arms and in your eyes.

I remember those days and I remember how many kids would hang out at the course and use it as a social club. I see many young kids doing the same with these country club style gyms. They don't go there to work, they go there to fuck around on their parents dime.

Last edited:
Back