• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Gear use and traing ALONE?

IML Gear Cream!
Been solo in both regards. Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm an eccentric loaner. So probably not. (As is prep enough chicken thighs and broccoli to feed the village whilst solomnly listening to Radiohead)

I'm good being my own quiet fool.

I have friends that I will occasionally go to their resort style gym and lift, hangout in the saunas and hot tubs and just make an afternoon of it, but I don't actually train that way. I help them with their cycles etc and point them to shops that seem on top of things, but 95% of training and gear discussion I do alone. I like training alone. I time my rests and just get into the zone. I like to hit everything and gtfo.

Last edited:
Train alone and the only one that knows I'm "on" is my wife. I do get asked if I "juice " by the younger guys. "Nope it's the creatine, bcaa's and diet". "Gotta eat big if you wanna be big"!!

I use alone, i train alone. Kind of relaxing to be at the gym alone with your headphones in after being at a 9-5 all day interacting with people constantly.

I have buddies that i consider my brothers but, like you, as we get older things change (jobs,locations,goals).
My ex used to bust my balls all the time for looking "unapproachable" too. I never understood haaah I'm always smiling...

It depends, It's just like a hobby. Someone like use and training alone while others prefer do it with partner.

Train alone and the only one that knows I'm "on" is my wife. I do get asked if I "juice " by the younger guys. "Nope it's the creatine, bcaa's and diet". "Gotta eat big if you wanna be big"!!
LOL. Had that exact same conversation earlier today. "Diet Bro. It's all about the diet."

Iift alone at home 5 to 6 days a week. Miss going to the gym until i read some of your stories about idiots and lazy fucks there. 4 people know i use aas. Cant trust anyone to keep there mouth shut. I would like a spot once in a while. But lifting alone is best for me.
I dont go to company get to gethers.

I have a gym bro. It's amazing how it's changed my workouts. I use to think I went hard and didn't need anyone. Much like you wife says I look mean and stuck up so I dont get approached by men or women. My current gym partner is the biggest guy in the gym. One day I asked him about one of his workouts and he said if you want to try it be there the next day and we would train together. I said sure why not.

Worked out for both of us and that was 8 months ago.

I think this sums up the majority of gyms these days lol. What's with the fucking yoga pants on dudes? When the fuck did that become acceptable?

No shit, I saw a dude today that was wearing yoga pants with cut outs in the legs like the girls wear. I was like WTF is going on!

Train alone. Rarely have someone to go with. And their plan doesn't work in with mine. And when I train hard I do my shit hard. When I'm not. I don't.
No one apart from guys.in here know I'm taking aas.
Prefer it that way. You can't trust anyone.

Get Shredded!
I was wondering if there's anyone here that uses without a swolemate, no lifting partner, or anything, no discussion about gear other then on here??

I have a few guys in my tight circle but as we get older our lives change, direction, careers, location, goals etc etc..I mean, I still have my die-hards, but not like it used to be..Anymore I workout alone, no spotter or anything..My gear use has always been under wraps with just a few solids knowing the deal, anything else is clearly obvious..I've mostly always kept to myself, and the wife says I don't look easy to approach, I've been taking offense to that statement for years,she claims people have even mentioned that I look grumpy or pissed, when in fact I'm not, it's how I look,maybe because I'm always thinking about something and shit on my mind.

Anyone else here use ALONE, train ALONE?

When I'm invited to company hangouts, friends/family gatherings, I'm like the odd ball with nothing but average Joe's talking about shit that I can careless about..

Swolemates are fading away...

We are the minority, no kidding..:(
Man, I'm 100% alone in this. I train alone, the only one that knows I still use hormones is my wife, everyone else eats crap. I'm 45 so I'm tending to notice that a really in shape guy at 45 sticks out, it's not usual, these guys really let themselves go. I look like 10 years younger though but I'm convinced that's the years of training and eating well.

I stopped talking to all my bodybuilding connections years ago. My best friend in bodybuilding, who ironically was a woman, committed suicide last March, hadn't talked to her in years she was a iffb pro bodybuilder. But to tell u the truth alot of my old friends, from what I do know, still live with their parents, are single, have basically no life. It's sad but all they cared about was bodybuilding and when you do that and don't turn into the next Ronnie Colman what the hell else are you supposed to do with your life.

I think this sums up the majority of gyms these days lol. What's with the fucking yoga pants on dudes? When the fuck did that become acceptable?

I haven't seen a real bodybuilding, powerlifting gym in years. There were a few of them I trained at over the years and it was wild. Seeing all these big ripped, dudes, pros, top amatures just made u train harder. Last one I can say I went to like that was a place called Flex gym in Virginia Beach, VA. Alot of competitors, great atmosphere. But that was like 2000. Nothing can ever compare to Diamond Gym in NJ though. Maybe Golds Venice, never been there. But Diamond was ridiculous, but again havent been there since maybe 98. I NEVER see anyone in the gyms I've gone to lately who impresses me at all anymore.

I do have to say though I never bring up bodybuilding, training, eating anything with anyone anymore. I train I leave and I don't think about it till I train again. I used to obsess over the subject. Even when people ask me questions outside the gym I steer the conversation in another direction. If I'm in the gym I'll answer the guy though. This is such a small part of my life now it's like inconsequential. I work alot, have family all much more important. But 20 so years ago, bodybuilding was the number 1 thing in my life.

And the unapproachable thing, when I was competing I got that all the time. Guys were afraid to talk to me, everyone thought I was some stuck up jerk off when fact was the gym, at the time, I treated like a job, It was no joke to me. When I was training, nothing personal, but stay away from me, don't talk to me and interrupt my workout(unless you're a hot chick then it was ok), I'm training for something big I'm not in here playing. It's hard to get that across to people.

Now, totally different, I'm always smiling and approachable, go out of my way to say what's up to whoever at the gym even if I don't know them. 100% different attitude but the gym is a stress release for me now, and something to just keep me looking good as I get older. It's far from a job anymore.

Last edited:
Last one I can say I went to like that was a place called Flex gym in Virginia Beach, VA. Alot of competitors, great atmosphere. But that was like 2000.

I trained here a year and a half ago. Step son is in the Navy stationed in Norfolk and I found this place when I went to visit him. Fucking awesome gym with some great old school machines. It's a shame the mom and pop gyms are being put out of business by the big box gyms.

Yes I've been training by myself since 15 and i am 21 now.. i have 2 buddy's who've ran a couple cycles but haven't used since the end of highschool and haven't trained since then either.. I literally don't have anyone to talk to thats why i joined up on here and I really don't like to train with anyone lol

Yeah. ..just like Walmart putting everyone out of business. ..I always remind people if we ever go to war with China, ,where will we get our socks and underwear. ..I love those old smelly leaking gyms. ..

This is exactly why I go to a family owned gym. Sure the hours aren't as good as other places I could go, but they're closer, they're good people, and they actually care about their customer's feedback. Hell I told them the bearings were going out on the leg press. Bearings replaced within a week. Smith machine is wore out. New smith machine in less than a month. You can't beat that. Plus they still have some cool old-school machines, and they only buy hardware made in America. Deal.

My wife and 2 guys at work know I juice, my wife is my only work out partner I have ever had. Due to our work schedules I work out alone now... Either at the gym or in my garage, need to build me a lat machine soon.

The whole unapproachable thing has kinda been bothering me lately.. She has this one friend that said I look like a killer, her co-workers are afraid of me.. I said "what am I ugly?".. Clearly that's not the case because my wife is a gem, plus getting ass was never an issue for me..They say I just look mean, when in fact I'm smiling on the inside, I don't laugh out loud often, but I do find shit funny, I'm just not open I guess..Now that she planted that seed, I notice dudes always sizing me up, and act evasive.. Here man, I'll hold a door for ya man, hey have a great day..I just cant walk around with a fake ass smile..I think to much, about work, my lifting, FOOD, bills, the kiddoes etc etc. people just judge to fast..In fact, I'm a nerd, just approach me man and say "sup" I'll talk your ear off about UFO's

I guess I harness the alone gym time as my meditation,my sanctuary, head phones on and in a zone... But I swear, I'm not thinking about eating your throat and ripping your skull off..

The funny thing though, old ladies love me.. in super markets they're always playful and joking, soccer moms do too, in fact the mommies and old ladies hold the best convos with me... Dudes on the other hand are just awkward as fuck..

Maybe because I'm always scanning shit.. I just watch how fake people are.. I'll watch women meet women, size each other up, smile, than walk away talking shit.. Dudes doing the same, mean-while I'm sitting there just taking it all in..

I'm a people watcher, I look around at the sheep..Now, on the flip side Im the one passing judgement now, but it's different.. I just can't partake in war stories, fish tails, my dick is this big and I have this and that kinda convos (yeah,cool story).. Be real, be you, because at the end of the day no one fucking cares, and no one is walking away impressed, in fact they're walking away thinking about how to one-up on you..I don't have time for that!

I'd rather be an original copy of myself, than John or Bob wasting their time trying to be a version of someone their not..

dude are you me.. holy shit man

I lift alone and my source for cycle information is right here at ASF. Free time is extremely limited so I lift during my lunch hour. I get it in quick - fast paced, very intense with little to no rest between sets. Most at the gym know me, we speak, a few passing words, and then I get back to it. I see training partners there together and I swear they look exactly the same now as they did 5 years ago - like they've never stepped foot in the gym. I'm not judging, it's their time, but you're here, why not make the best of it. I can usually get 3 or 4 sets in to their one!
Now I may just be the odd man out here......but I do not wear headphones - never have. And honestly after I'm done working out, I could not name 2 songs that played over the sound system for the past hour and a half (unless it was something that caught my attention). I can get into a zone I guess without music blasting in my head. I typically focus on one of the hot trainers in the room and zone in on that.
And I'm proud to say that I've turned into one of the best physiques in that place with some hard work, help from knowledgeable folks here on this board and the great sponsors on here as well. I'm in the best shape of my life because of it and I thank each and every one of you on here for your help and support.

IML Gear Cream!
Are you kidding me. I m 53. I m solo 90 percent of the time in gym.
As far as use....100 percent of the time

I'm 58 years old.Started training at a powerlifting gym 40 years ago and always had 3 or 4 guys training with me for the most part.All these years later I have evolved to being about as alone as you can train.I live out in the country in Texas and have a home gym (barn full of weights) and every workout is just me.I sometimes will be wide awake at 2a.m. and cant sleep and I will go down to the shed and hit a workout.When my son lived at home I used to joke that if he ever came down there and I was dead under a missed bench press that he was to slide another plate on each end of the bar and call the the medical examiner.I dont consider myself to be a loner but my alone time in my gym is my favorite part of the day.

I've trained solo 80% of the time. If I'm going close to my max on bench I might ask someone for a quick spot, but generally just do my thing without saying a word to anyone

I've trained solo 80% of the time. If I'm going close to my max on bench I might ask someone for a quick spot, but generally just do my thing without saying a word to anyone

Maxing days have long left the building.... screw that!

I train alone at home. I have acquired all Inness to have an nice set up and prefer it that way. No waiting on anybody else to show . Just me and the weight I want to move. A Couple of people know I use gear but have never seen me do so it a he said hind of thing. Lol

The whole unapproachable thing has kinda been bothering me lately.. She has this one friend that said I look like a killer, her co-workers are afraid of me.. I said "what am I ugly?".. Clearly that's not the case because my wife is a gem, plus getting ass was never an issue for me..They say I just look mean, when in fact I'm smiling on the inside, I don't laugh out loud often, but I do find shit funny, I'm just not open I guess..Now that she planted that seed, I notice dudes always sizing me up, and act evasive.. Here man, I'll hold a door for ya man, hey have a great day..I just cant walk around with a fake ass smile..I think to much, about work, my lifting, FOOD, bills, the kiddoes etc etc. people just judge to fast..In fact, I'm a nerd, just approach me man and say "sup" I'll talk your ear off about UFO's

I guess I harness the alone gym time as my meditation,my sanctuary, head phones on and in a zone... But I swear, I'm not thinking about eating your throat and ripping your skull off..

The funny thing though, old ladies love me.. in super markets they're always playful and joking, soccer moms do too, in fact the mommies and old ladies hold the best convos with me... Dudes on the other hand are just awkward as fuck..

Maybe because I'm always scanning shit.. I just watch how fake people are.. I'll watch women meet women, size each other up, smile, than walk away talking shit.. Dudes doing the same, mean-while I'm sitting there just taking it all in..

I'm a people watcher, I look around at the sheep..Now, on the flip side Im the one passing judgement now, but it's different.. I just can't partake in war stories, fish tails, my dick is this big and I have this and that kinda convos (yeah,cool story).. Be real, be you, because at the end of the day no one fucking cares, and no one is walking away impressed, in fact they're walking away thinking about how to one-up on you..I don't have time for that!

I'd rather be an original copy of myself, than John or Bob wasting their time trying to be a version of someone their not..

Murse32 - I too have a very decent set up at home, thousands went into this, but I still hit the gym now and then..

This, except I am ugly:)

Trained alone most of my life. Partners dont seem to stick with it. I dont need anyone to motivate me.
When I was younger and had a partner and needed some motivation on a bad day he would not make it. Then I was really screwed.
So I go solo.
Wife also says I look mean and unaproachable. Dont get it.

When my son lived at home I used to joke that if he ever came down there and I was dead under a missed bench press that he was to slide another plate on each end of the bar and call the the medical examiner.

This is pure musclehead gold!

Twenty eight years ago I trained with other competitive bodybuilders and we pushed each other super hard, which is cool when you are 26. I was 5'9" and my partners all 5'6" or shorter so if I could squat six plates, they could do eight. Never minded all the plate changing. It was part of the workout. Now I hate even picking up a 45lb plate.

Been working out alone for 20+ years now and love it! Put on some aggressive metal like Exodus, LOG, et al and get in and get out. No fucking around. Recently my very weak wife has decided to start weight lifting and although it is interrupting my usual phys/psych flow at the gym, it is nice to see her getting all enthusiastic. Even if it is like teaching the Dr. Seuss of weightlifting to her.

If people ask, I am free with my thoughts on steroids and their use. I can tell that any candor is usually lost on them though. People are generally idiots. My wife not only knows of my supplementation, she encourages me. "When are you going back on testosterone again?!? (hint hint)" She is a bit younger than me. Lol!

Gym clothes, music, fucking cell phones? Ugh! Here in Mexico, dudes wear androgynous clothing anyway so you can imagine how gay the gym attire is. They place either rap or that inane trance/computer shit very loud at my gym. Thank god for the iPod! Almost everyone is glued to their phones. It is beyond ridiculous.

The "strut" of anyone who is in mildly good shape, a rarity here, is also hilarious! The gym queens and their "yoked" boyfriends. The dudes that do have muscle are so smooth and basically look like dudes inside of water balloons. I suspect it's the tortillas in their diet.

Home gym should be done in 3 weeks. 900sf of me and sanity. I also have chosen home brewing most of my gear so I am very much training and using alone and I like it like that.

Back