• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Goddamn unions

Gmoney

Registered
Reaction score
Anywhere the ducks are bombing and the turkeys are
Get Shredded!
I've been a pipewelder for 14 yrs now and I've been across the country and back several times,I've made a decent living but never had any insurance because you simply don't stay with one contractor. It just doesn't happen,contracts come and go. So my uncle has been on my ass to join our local union for years now...well as usual I was between jobs and said fuck it I'll see what they have to say. I go up there and they're exact words were " your a welder! We are in desperate need of welders!!" So i test,pay dues and off to work I go! I started Nov of 2016,and I'm one happy dude because the pension and insurance is unreal! We'll it wasn't but a few weeks before all benefits kick in and guess fucking what? I'm layed off with no jobs coming up and I'm at home fucking around in the pit! If this shit keeps up I'm going back non union! They have one more week and I have no choice,i have got to go back to work! Fuck em!

Only do Union that operates 365 with 24hr rotating shifts. 《... (Contractor to company) that's best way

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

It's not the unions fault there isn't any work in your area. Plus maybe you're a shit welder so they skidded your ass off of site.. :coffee:

It's not the unions fault there isn't any work in your area. Plus maybe you're a shit welder so they skidded your ass off of site.. :coffee:
LMAO That is how it works tho, u can always put in for unemployment

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I've never been union, but on a side note, I have witnessed backlash over unions being difficult and employers saying ok well just shut it all down

I've never been union, but on a side note, I have witnessed backlash over unions being difficult and employers saying ok well just shut it all down

Which is the reason why unions were made in the first place, to help the workers fight crap like that.

Im union but our contract is for one utility company... its not the greatest but its nice to know I'll always get a paycheck and benefits for my family.

IML Gear Cream!
And it is there fucking fault! These stupid motherfuckers just turned down work at a site they have had since the mid 70s and now a non union contract has it!!! Good job retards,I'm gonna leave em in the wind

You'd have to read the offered contract to see exactly why they said no to it. I bet the non union guys are getting fucked somewhere and don't even see it yet.

How many people are on the books? You should go back to the top if you didn't work but a couple of weeks...

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

You'd have to read the offered contract to see exactly why they said no to it. I bet the non union guys are getting fucked somewhere and don't even see it yet.

Man these fitters and welders walked off the job because they didn't want to do small bore sockets!!! Gravy train! Now were fucked

- - - Updated - - -

How many people are on the books? You should go back to the top if you didn't work but a couple of weeks...

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

A pile on the books! It's not good dude

I was on a maintenance contract myself,only 40 hrs but I was home every night,like you said not the best but i was good with it

We get plenty of OT. I've been there 10 years and could've done 500-1000 hours OT every year since. We work round the clock shifts, medical, 401k, stock options, dental.... its just a stressful job and you have to fight for everything. Being a steward is even more-so for me. But I could only imagine how rough it would be without the union. I think OP shouldn't be blaming the union for lack of work. A union can only give up so much before their entire existence is pointless. It might as well be non-union at a certain point. Man up and stand behind them. Its the only way things get better. YOU GOTTA FIGHT!!! And I don't wanna hear "I need a paycheck" then just go non-union, pay for ur own benefits, and stop bitching. But don't bitch when you're sucking dick for a nickel raise.

We get plenty of OT. I've been there 10 years and could've done 500-1000 hours OT every year since. We work round the clock shifts, medical, 401k, stock options, dental.... its just a stressful job and you have to fight for everything. Being a steward is even more-so for me. But I could only imagine how rough it would be without the union. I think OP shouldn't be blaming the union for lack of work. A union can only give up so much before their entire existence is pointless. It might as well be non-union at a certain point. Man up and stand behind them. Its the only way things get better. YOU GOTTA FIGHT!!! And I don't wanna hear "I need a paycheck" then just go non-union, pay for ur own benefits, and stop bitching. But don't bitch when you're sucking dick for a nickel raise.

I believe in the union way but I've got to eat!

Man these fitters and welders walked off the job because they didn't want to do small bore sockets!!! Gravy train! Now were fucked

- - - Updated - - -

A pile on the books! It's not good dude

I'm not a welder so whats the downside of doing "small bore sockets"?

That ain't the case dickhead,I have my certs...im not in the damn buddy system

Old Chinese women have their drivers licence and baby Jesus knows they shouldn't be on the road... The first step to moving on is accepting the fact you suck donkey dick at your craft. Walmart is always hiring door greeters but I have a strong feeling you'd suck at that too.

And good for you I'm glad u landed that full time gig! And it does look like I'm gonna have to pay for my benefits...so be it! The union have less than 2% of the work where I'm from! I can see why when you have crybabies not wanting to do something that's in their scope of work! We are a steamfitter local...therefore we weld pipe! There was no reason to cry and walk off!

- - - Updated - - -

Old Chinese women have their drivers licence and baby Jesus knows they shouldn't be on the road... The first step to moving on is accepting the fact you suck donkey dick at your craft. Walmart is always hiring door greeters but I have a strong feeling you'd suck at that too.

You need to go somewhere adults are talking

Not a thing dude,it's gravy work. Just tight spots

- - - Updated - - -

Stainless at that,very clean work

The only thing I can think is....well let me sell it to you this way. Big companies put out a lot specs...especially on safety. Most if not all of those specs tell you how to work safe and cover almost every aspect of a job function. You are required to sign these specs "most people just sign without reading too much into it" and on the surface these specs look like their purpose is ur safety and they are...but more then that they are written for the purpose of protecting the company if you get hurt or killed. A lot of workers are pinned between a spec that says if it looks unsafe say something and a foreman pushing to get the job done. Most workers give in and take the risk to get the job done. But I guarantee you this...if you're in a position where you get hurt that company will take all those specs that you casually signed and use them against you. When you way out your options, knowing whats gonna happen if you get hurt sometimes the better thing to do is walk away. Now the point of the union is everyone walks away with you and the company has to spend the extra money to make it safe. We do it all the time. I work with live electric sometimes pulling over 1,000 amps. My job is dangerous enough so if I see anything that adds risk to that... i wont do it and hopefully no one else will either. Not always the case. But it sounds like that union is a tight knit group of guys sticking together to right a wrong... One piece of advice save a chunk of change so when moments like this arise you can join the fight and still eat.

The only thing I can think is....well let me sell it to you this way. Big companies put out a lot specs...especially on safety. Most if not all of those specs tell you how to work safe and cover almost every aspect of a job function. You are required to sign these specs "most people just sign without reading too much into it" and on the surface these specs look like their purpose is ur safety and they are...but more then that they are written for the purpose of protecting the company if you get hurt or killed. A lot of workers are pinned between a spec that says if it looks unsafe say something and a foreman pushing to get the job done. Most workers give in and take the risk to get the job done. But I guarantee you this...if you're in a position where you get hurt that company will take all those specs that you casually signed and use them against you. When you way out your options, knowing whats gonna happen if you get hurt sometimes the better thing to do is walk away. Now the point of the union is everyone walks away with you and the company has to spend the extra money to make it safe. We do it all the time. I work with live electric sometimes pulling over 1,000 amps. My job is dangerous enough so if I see anything that adds risk to that... i wont do it and hopefully no one else will either. Not always the case. But it sounds like that union is a tight knit group of guys sticking together to right a wrong... One piece of advice save a chunk of change so when moments like this arise you can join the fight and still eat.

I'm glad some people still get it.

Which is the reason why unions were made in the first place, to help the workers fight crap like that.
I know a particular company in the last year had a fleet of 400A aircraft, the CEO asked the pilots to vote out the union and he would give them all raises, said the union was getting in the way of changes he wanted to make. pilots decided to keep the union so the CEO said fine I'm dropping the 400 fleet, your all laid off. and those planes got parked and sold. at least that was the story we were told

I know a particular company in the last year had a fleet of 400A aircraft, the CEO asked the pilots to vote out the union and he would give them all raises, said the union was getting in the way of changes he wanted to make. pilots decided to keep the union so the CEO said fine I'm dropping the 400 fleet, your all laid off. and those planes got parked and sold. at least that was the story we were told
I worked for a company that was union truck drivers. Management gave them an ultimatum, either take the contract they were offered or fuck off.

Teamsters decided not to take the offer, within a year my company sold off all the assets to a non-union outfit that also purchased the property.

Basically that operation went from union to non-union overnight and all the drivers that were getting paid really good money had no job.

I worked for a company that was union truck drivers. Management gave them an ultimatum, either take the contract they were offered or fuck off.

Teamsters decided not to take the offer, within a year my company sold off all the assets to a non-union outfit that also purchased the property.

Basically that operation went from union to non-union overnight and all the drivers that were getting paid really good money had no job.
thats what happened to me, I was making good money, company got sold new management offered us $16 less an hour, but said stick it out cause you'll actually make more money, I was taking home far less obviously and got a new job

Back