• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

In your opinion, what's the HARDEST part about being an average Joe bodybuilder?

jozifp103

Board Rep
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
So we all know professional BBers have it a bit easier than us in some ways. Yes they have to dedicate more time, eat more/better, train more/harder and basically devote their life.

BUT.......it IS their life. Most top level competitors don't work full time jobs and have trainers, doctors, dietitians, etc etc working with them.

So for us guys who work full time, maybe have kids, wives, normal social lives, and other obligations in general.....what is the hardest part about this lifestyle TO YOU?

The grocery bill? The gear/supplement bill? Finding time to eat when working all day? Finding energy to train?

What's YOUR biggest hurdle and how do you overcome it?

akz9s4.jpg

this lifestyle is not hard at all for me, i need to have structure in my life or i get lost. but it is selfish.
so unless you have companion that lives a similar life i could see it being difficult.
i am single with no kids or responsibilities other than work so i put myself first and whatever free time i have
i date and do social stuff . it makes it pretty easy. i couldn't imagine having to deal with a wife or kids every day.
maybe i am missing out i dont know, just never really been me

Diet.
I don't like leftovers, so it's hard to pre make food. And it's tiring to cook constantly. I've finally got a few restaurants I've been to enough that they cater to exactly how I want my food, which helps.
The rest is pretty easy.

The hardest parts for me is doing it broke, timing my meals with my constantly changing work environment, and not slipping back into substance abuse. Add on top tending an egg farming business on the side and taking care of a large piece of property and it's overwhelming sometimes

The hardest part is taking time away from the family. Especially when your gone most of the time due to work and only having one income. BEyond that everything else is cake. Support system is always an issue.
Its always a fight. Especially if they really don't understand and have been misinformed from God knows where . so they have these opinions based off bad info and they base there thoughts and opinions off the same bullshit! So then they stereotype just like everyone else.

The hardest part is taking time away from the family. Especially when your gone most of the time due to work and only having one income. BEyond that everything else is cake. Support system is always an issue.
Its always a fight. Especially if they really don't understand and have been misinformed from God knows where . so they have these opinions based off bad info and they base there thoughts and opinions off the same bullshit! So then they stereotype just like everyone else.

Yeah man that's very true. I'm the only income so I'm gone all day sometimes up to 16 hours or more. Then leaving at 6:00 to do cardio and another session at night for lifting and cardio. Then eating and showering, I only sleep a handful of hours every night.

Lucky I don't get much push back from family. I get the occasional random steroids question from the kid (he's 15) so I never talk about it but he's gotta know I'm on.

The whole sole income thing is becoming very difficult for me. I barely make enough to get by, and I make decent money. Be getting a raise soon it looks like but that'll just push me into a higher tax bracket honestly.

Honestly , for me time is the biggest issue. And guilt.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

IML Gear Cream!
Yeah man that's very true. I'm the only income so I'm gone all day sometimes up to 16 hours or more. Then leaving at 6:00 to do cardio and another session at night for lifting and cardio. Then eating and showering, I only sleep a handful of hours every night.

Lucky I don't get much push back from family. I get the occasional random steroids question from the kid (he's 15) so I never talk about it but he's gotta know I'm on.

The whole sole income thing is becoming very difficult for me. I barely make enough to get by, and I make decent money. Be getting a raise soon it looks like but that'll just push me into a higher tax bracket honestly.

yep the more you make the more they take... trust me it almost sucks to be 100 percent legit and make multiple 6 fig income

This^ ! Unfortunately it didn't use to be an issue. But but due to work cutting hours. And loss of about 20k+ annually.
Going back about a yr and a half ago. We lost our home.
My time spent is looked at differently by my family now. This is where guilt comes in. Its just an overall bad situation. I feel bad for my wife and kids. Once I can get us out of this current situation things will go back to normal. I hope! But until then I won't hold my breath. So I just chug along one day at a time .

What's wrong with being in a higher tax bracket?

- - - Updated - - -

good thing you dont have to be sober to look like a bodybuilder lol

I guess that means I should start work on the looking like a bodybuilder part. :coffee:

This^ ! Unfortunately it didn't use to be an issue. But but due to work cutting hours. And loss of about 20k+ annually.
Going back about a yr and a half ago. We lost our home.
My time spent is looked at differently by my family now. This is where guilt comes in. Its just an overall bad situation. I feel bad for my wife and kids. Once I can get us out of this current situation things will go back to normal. I hope! But until then I won't hold my breath. So I just chug along one day at a time .

Yeah that's rough man. You'll make it happen. That's what we do man.

I can see how you feel that way. For me it's a little different, not married and not my own kids... So it's starting to wear on me. Starting to rethink my decisions in life. It's definitely a selfish thing, but I think only to a point. I mean I do pretty well for myself, but I don't get to enjoy any of that success.

Anyhow sorry to derail the thread with my own bullshit guys

Holy crap this got heavy in a hurry.
Take care of yourselves guys, if you're not right, you can't be there for your family!
And kids don't need money. Don't worry about what you can't give them. Give them time and love and they'll be just fine.
As I get older I don't care much for material shit anymore. Time is important.

Take care of yourselves guys, if you're not right, you can't be there for your family!
And kids don't need money. Don't worry about what you can't give them. Give them time and love and they'll be just fine.
AMEN!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

So we all know professional BBers have it a bit easier than us in some ways. Yes they have to dedicate more time, eat more/better, train more/harder and basically devote their life.

BUT.......it IS their life. Most top level competitors don't work full time jobs and have trainers, doctors, dietitians, etc etc working with them.

So for us guys who work full time, maybe have kids, wives, normal social lives, and other obligations in general.....what is the hardest part about this lifestyle TO YOU?

The grocery bill? The gear/supplement bill? Finding time to eat when working all day? Finding energy to train?

akz9s4.jpg
I get your point but this is so not true. 90% of probodybuilders have a regular job and don't make nearly enough to think about dedicating themselves wholly to BB. I mean Ronnie Coleman was still a police officer until he won his first Mr. O. The money just isn't there. I would say only maybe 15 or so BB'S IN THE WHOLE world are in a situation you describe and those are the best on the planet.

Also most pro bodybuilders and top Amature have no Dr's, no dieticians ect. It would be great if they did but they don't. Most pros are in the same situation as you are.

For me the 4 things that get challenging to say the least are:

#1. Getting enough sleep. This wasn't such a big problem when I was younger and I simply slept better than I do now, and it even became tougher to get enough sleep when I got married 18 months ago since my wife works days and i work nights, so being a light sleeper, I tend to wake up when she's getting ready for work and moving around the house making noise with things like her hair dryer. This happens at time in the morning that's really too early for me to be getting up, so my sleep gets broken up during the day. That can't be doing me any good.

#2. The mere high costs of gear itself. Add the cost of supplements to that, and it gets very tough for me to maintain.

#3. Lack of support. My wife doesn't even workout nor perform any exercise at all, so not only does she often cook things that aren't really great from a nutritional standpoint and that I have to turn down, but she's always bringing junkfood from Taco smell, Burger Queen, and Spendy's into the house as well as cookies, ice cream, and various chips, so I have to work hard at having an iron will power and do most of the cooking and food shopping for myself. ON top of that, because of our clash of lifestyles concerning fitness, I cannot let her know when I spend $$ on gear. She would NEVER understand and her family would make trouble with negative comments about that once she told them. So I have to be on the defense concerning the gear use and be discreet about it. If she ever came out and asked me about it, then I would come clean, but due to her ignorance about it, it would never dawn on her regardless of what shape I'm in.

I would have to blow up Like Lee Priest or Kevin Levrone with 20+" arms 55" chest for her to ever suspect gear use. And that obviously will never happen with me.

#4. My occupation plays a role and presents another challenge at times. SB1 mentioned Ronnie Coleman being a cop during the beginning of his Mr. Olympia reign. But occupations like being a police officer aren't physically demanding on a regular basis. The only time cops' jobs are strenuous is when they have to break up a bar fight, or subdue a gang member or drug dealer during an arrest. But that often ends with a taser or pepper spray anyway, and it isn't a daily occurence for most cops, and it certainly isn't all day long either. It's over with in a minute or two. Their job is stressful, yes, (since they never know when/if they will get blown away) but not very physically demanding on the majority of work days they put in.

My job being an aircraft mechanic is one of those jobs that gets physically demanding and is demanding on my bones and joints since it includes lots of repetative motions on a daily basis, ( ie. swinging the sledgehammer to knock-in steel bushing into a magnesium gearbox housing, applying 140 ft/lbs of torque to threaded fluid fittings, using manual arbor presses, and turning ratchets all day long). The older I get, the more these daily employment activities take their toll and serve to be a hinderance to my workout recovery.

Get Shredded!
time is always hard to come by, I think lacking time effects everything like diet and missing workouts

The diet. Cooking, meal planning and cost of food. It's doable but gotta be strategic about it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

akz9s4.jpg

I'm just curious why u need to bold print all your posts.....lol

Diet, its hard to eat right everyday without a goal or contest date. Its why I do the transformation challenges because without a goal I just eat whatever. However not sure why lately but my diet has been pretty damn good. Just in the habit right now.

Diet, its hard to eat right everyday without a goal or contest date. Its why I do the transformation challenges because without a goal I just eat whatever.
I agree. I find that my diet strictness has a cycle intensity that ebbs and flows just like training intensity. I must admit that my diet is always the best while I'm doing a gear cycle because the amount of money I have to spend on the gear and the PCT stuff as well as the supplements and liver protectors is so much that it motivates me to want to get as much as possible out of it so I don't waste all tat money for nothing

I found out that your family needs you not your money 5 years ago when I lost my job and was unemployed. Looking back that was the best time with my wife and son and things are much better for me knowing that it's me that's important to my family and not my money.....

Getting enough sleep. I have a family and I get up at 3:00am to just workout before work when I'm on days which is two weeks out of the month. By Friday I'm dead tired but wife and two daughters with dance and soccer practice and games I really push the envelope of what a person can do on limited sleep.

My wife works out also but is a stay at home mom and has all the time in the world but she does meal prep for me and works out with me when I'm on nights so I guess it's all worth it. Mentally I'm addicted to this and won't change for anything I'm sure a lot of you know what I'm talking about.

def not having any support from the wife. yea all the $$ that goes to gear, supps, and food but its better than spending it at the bar like i did in my early 20s.

I have been on a bulk or cut for close to a year and a half . I eat like a machine while at work for most of the week but something about not working just makes me want to blow the diet . Mon - Thurs is good but come Friday I will choke somebody out for tacos and margaritas . Beer on Saturdays is almost a given . Sunday I start over and try again . On a bulk it ain't so bad but on cut it royally fucks me up. O and I'm sore as fuck 24/7.

Diet, its hard to eat right everyday without a goal or contest date. Its why I do the transformation challenges because without a goal I just eat whatever. However not sure why lately but my diet has been pretty damn good. Just in the habit right now.

Diet is definitely the hardest for most people....Without a doubt.

Back