Diet/Nutrition Q:A

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Sherk View Post
    Do you apply a shotgun or sniper rifle approach to your nutrition? Small changes and precision is KEY! Keeping insulin levels extremely elevated will only reduce insulin sensitivity and increase inflammation over the long term. He who uses carbohydrates BEST, wins! NOT he who uses the most carbohydrates.

There is a difference to having carbs IMMEDIATELY pre training, and several hours before the workout. The idea here is to eat a well-balanced meal of lean protein and slow- digesting carbohydrates with enough time for the meal to leave your stomach and enter your muscles and tissues.

Now the real question..should you have carbs immediately before a workout? It is all really goal and individual dependent. For most people (myself included), I recommend keeping carbohydrate intake low before workouts to ensure optimal focus, energy, growth hormone release AND optimal serotonin levels. When I received my diet from my new coach, I noticed he had the same set up and approach to this that I did before training. 1 cup egg whites with a bagel plain. Too many carbohydrates before working out can make you feel bloated, lethargic and fatigue faster. Reason being is simple; insulin spike.

So what is insulin? Insulin is a hormone secreted by the pancreas when you have eaten carbohydrates.* Have you ever eaten a big pasta meal, and wanted to take a nap a few hours later?* Have you ever started eating chips or crackers and you just couldn’t stop?* If you have experienced one or both of these situations, you have EXPERIENCED what an insulin spike can do to you.*Since insulin’s job is to lower blood sugar, it does just that.*But because of the huge insulin spike, it can lower blood sugar a bit too much, and that is when you feel drowsy, tired, and generally like you need a nap! Not a good thing when you're trying to hit the gym.

When you eat carbohydrates, they are absorbed into the blood stream (as glucose) which in turn elevates your blood sugar levels. The pancreas secretes insulin to help your body process the increased blood sugar (or glucose) and stores it as glycogen in your muscles and liver.* If the glycogen stores in your muscles and liver are full, then the ‘excess' blood sugar is stored as BODY FAT! If your body is secreting insulin, it is in a ‘storing’ process, and NO body fat will be burned.

So now that you see carbohydrates are directly tied to your insulin levels, it's a good time to tell you that fats have a role in this as well.*If you are eating healthy fats with your meals, these fats will SLOW the digestion of carbohydrates which will slow the rise in blood sugar which will keep those insulin spikes at bay. So what is a healthy fat? A balance between Omega 3 (from fish oil) and Omega 6 fats (found in vegetable oils; corn, sesame, safflower, peanut, avocados etc…). We naturally get enough, often too much Omega 6 fats in our diet.*To have a proper balance, you have to be conscious of and increase your Omega 3 intake which can be found in fish, wild meats (my favorite type of meat) and grass fed beef. An easy way to get these is from fish oil supplements. If you're eating BAD fats (trans-fats) or you are not eating the proper balance of omega 3 and omega 6 fats, your cells won’t be able to convert the blood sugar easily, leading to insulin resistance. Which brings me to the next topic about insulin.

You might be wondering what exactly insulin resistance is or means, right? Insulin resistance is when your cells are less affected by insulin and your blood sugar (from carbs you have eaten) can’t move freely into your body’s cells to be either burned or stored. As a reaction your pancreas secretes more insulin and you have both high levels of glucose and insulin circulating in your body with neither of them going to where they are supposed to be. High levels of insulin trigger the production of stress hormone, cortisol along with blood sugar WILL be turned into body fat. Insulin resistance negatively effects body fat (especially belly fat), increases the risk of cardiovascular diseases and hormone health including testosterone. In men, lower testosterone levels are associated with higher body fat, less lean muscle mass, lack of sexual desire, and overall poor health. Insulin resistance ultimately will turn into Type 2 Diabetes. However, insulin resistance is not a constant and can be improved with nutrition and exercise!
    Holy shit this is explained VERY WELL!!!!!!!! I've read on this here and there but this right here really helps man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BUTCH GITS

Community Veteran
    ADMINISTRATOR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Oldschool View Post
    Before the fat is bad craze in the 70s and 80s we built great bodies with whole foods which included fats. Then the fat free era rushed in, supported by the government's food pyramid. Now there is a shift back towards fats are not so bad after all... so yes, I sould stand by my original statement.
    It really depends on the amount of carbs in the diet. If carbs are at or above maintenance you have to restrict fat to small amounts. If carbs are super low you can eat more fat but many guys don't like how they feel on Keto and will lose power and strength in the gym so many will opt for more carbs. When dieting the goal is fat loss while maintaining LBM. That is super hard if not impossible to do with high carbs and high fat. If you want to see your abs you will have to restrict either fat or carbs. For me restricting fat works very well.

However I consume fat in small amounts. 1 whole egg, 2 oz avocado, nut butter, Omega 3 fish oils, etc.
    heavyiron15 IronMagLab discount code for 15% off

All posts are for entertainment and may contain fiction. Consult a medical doctor before using any medication. heavyiron does not advocate readers engage in any illegal activity. Do not contact me about sources or advertisers as I know nothing about their business.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Sherk View Post
    No. no matter what sport you play or don't play, carbs have the same effect on your insulin. To carb load before a marathon would be poor decision. Carbs yes, but to eat large amount of carbs before any physical activity isn't a smart move. You'll be bloated and tired. Some carbs are good, a lot of carbs are bad. This is not just bodybuilding based.
    Yes I understand that. I wasn't clear as to my question. Excuse me.

For crossfit or a powerlifting meet. How would you prep your body for those types of events, 1 week out 3 days out 2 days out and day before event? In order to keep your body fueled for the energy expenditure that you are about to put your body through, and to be able to get the best performance out of your body?

vv mine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by heavyiron View Post
    It really depends on the amount of carbs in the diet. If carbs are at or above maintenance you have to restrict fat to small amounts. If carbs are super low you can eat more fat but many guys don't like how they feel on Keto and will lose power and strength in the gym so many will opt for more carbs. When dieting the goal is fat loss while maintaining LBM. That is super hard if not impossible to do with high carbs and high fat. If you want to see your abs you will have to restrict either fat or carbs. For me restricting fat works very well.

However I consume fat in small amounts. 1 whole egg, 2 oz avocado, nut butter, Omega 3 fish oils, etc.
    This is my understanding as well. I personally cut better on high fat low carbs(under 70g). For some reason cutting fat really doesn't do much for my composition.
    All characters appearing in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Community Veteran
    ADMINISTRATOR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Skinnyguy180 View Post
    This is my understanding as well. I personally cut better on high fat low carbs(under 70g). For some reason cutting fat really doesn't do much for my composition.
    Keto is highly effective but I lose power fast. I'll end a diet in keto many times so the first 8-10 weeks will be a carb cycle then the last few weeks essentially a keto.

All posts are for entertainment and may contain fiction. Consult a medical doctor before using any medication. heavyiron does not advocate readers engage in any illegal activity. Do not contact me about sources or advertisers as I know nothing about their business.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Skinnyguy180 View Post
    I am the same way. Carbs are snow ball effect for me... I always want more. Ive done low/keto for months at a time with no loss of strength.
    TAKING THE BRO OUT OF SCIENCE

Super Moderator
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by DeOpressoLiber7 View Post
    Yes I understand that. I wasn't clear as to my question. Excuse me.

For crossfit or a powerlifting meet. How would you prep your body for those types of events, 1 week out 3 days out 2 days out and day before event? In order to keep your body fueled for the energy expenditure that you are about to put your body through, and to be able to get the best performance out of your body?
    I would carb load the day before (roughly 500-600g) and consume roughly 100g the morning of about 1-2 hours pre training using cream of rice, bagels or something along those lines. Obviously some protein with that. But that's my body and how I respond.

Milehighkratom.com

Sherk15 for 15% off at milehighkratom.com

Community Veteran
    ADMINISTRATOR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Oldschool View Post
    I am the same way. Carbs are snow ball effect for me... I always want more. Ive done low/keto for months at a time with no loss of strength.
    Have you tried lower glycemic carbs? Sugar and fast carbs spike insulin which is a powerful hunger causing hormone. Using slow carbs will help reduce hunger. Oats, rice and white potato to name a few.

Super Moderator
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Rep Points

Bump.

Milehighkratom.com

Super Moderator
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    129 Posts
    Rep Points

If I continue to eat a brownie every night for the next month, how high will my igf levels be? 😂
    Dispense Quick Rep

Visit www.trtdirect.de for price lists!

Use code Montego15 for 15% off at MileHighKratom.com

Super Moderator
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Montego1 View Post
    If I continue to eat a brownie every night for the next month, how high will my igf levels be?
    Exactly 172.3

Milehighkratom.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Rep Points

Sherk, so how important is insulin sensitivity and resetting it when it comes to bodybuilding?

And also, would it be beneficial to strictly use complex carbs like oats, brown rice, wheat bagels and sweet potatoes as in a contest prep diet to lose fat and then switch to more simple carb sources like white rice, white bagels and white potatoes when it comes to off-season to put on muscle just like a typical bodybuilder would who competes 2-3 times a year? Would this be a good way to make the best use of endogenous insulin and keep insulin resistance low? I'm trying to better understand insulin and how to use it to my advantage

Super Moderator
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Danger1 View Post
    Sherk, so how important is insulin sensitivity and resetting it when it comes to bodybuilding?

And also, would it be beneficial to strictly use complex carbs like oats, brown rice, wheat bagels and sweet potatoes as in a contest prep diet to lose fat and then switch to more simple carb sources like white rice, white bagels and white potatoes when it comes to off-season to put on muscle just like a typical bodybuilder would who competes 2-3 times a year? Would this be a good way to make the best use of endogenous insulin and keep insulin resistance low? I'm trying to better understand insulin and how to use it to my advantage
    Insulin sensitivity is crucial. Insulin will result in muscle or fat depending on how you use it. There's no other hormone the body secretes that is more anabolic. Insulin is a huge factor in packing on muscle or storing fat, yet it's the most miss understood hormone, or at least the least looked into by the average gym rat. Most just think about testosterone, estrogen or HGH.

I personally don't eat any complex carbs. I eat jasmine rice, red potatoes, blueberry or cinnamon raisin bagels and cream of rice for my carb sources. My body doesn't respond well with complex carbs. I become extremely bloated and uncomfortable. Most bodybuilders I know are the same. They prefer simple carbs aside from yams/sweet potato and maybe some oats first thing in the am.

Milehighkratom.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Rep Points

I get what you're saying about complex carbs which is part of the reason I'm asking, my body tolerates complex carbs just fine but I have noticed from seeing random contest diets posted online that white rice and white potatoes are still used.

So then how would you keep from getting insulin resistant then, or do those types of carbs not spike insulin like I think they do? Or does going low carb for short periods of time help to keep insulin sensitivity?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Rep Points

Diet/Nutrition Q:A

Carb cycling will raise your insulin sensitivity. Simple carbs are utilized in diets to spike insulin or accompany exogenous insulin. Complex carbs are too slow to do either.