Facebook    Twitter    YouTube    Instagram

Diet/Nutrition Q:A

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    Rep Points

My diet is built specifically around my lifting schedule. So the daily macros change depending on the muscle group I'm working. For instance on Tuesday it's legs/abs and I get higher carbs and less fat than Friday which is shoulders. Thursday I get over 300gm of carbs for back day, weekends and my off day Wednesday I'm back to trace carbs but get more fat to hit dietetic needs.
    It really has a lot to do with your goals and needs depending if you're bulking/cutting/maintenance. Cookie cutter will just go so far.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    405 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Mogainz20 View Post
    Alright thanks so would I just jump to maintenance then adjust according?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    kinda, really depends what you want to do. when i say base diet. i mean those cals are counted exactly . so each meal you know the exact breakdown. bulking or cutting. then depending how serious you want to tune it you go from there. you have to take into consideration other factors like what gear you are on. like tren and gh you can crank up the cals more. or if you are doing cardio etc....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Rep Points

Thank you guys for the feedback, really just helped me get a better understanding of it all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    183 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by DeOpressoLiber7 View Post
    Subbed this should be very informative.

My question is why so many egg whites and minimum to no whole eggs?
    Because bodybuilders are still afraid of the word FAT.
    Fat is just as important as anything else when it comes to building muscle.
    TAKING THE BRO OUT OF SCIENCE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    Rep Points

It's something you adjust as you go based upon the results you attain. Remember that no two people are the same and so no two metabolisms are either.
    Question, are you an ectomorph, mesomorph or endomorph. The difference makes a huge impact on diet decisions. I'm an endomorph so my bulking requirement are substantially less than an ectomorph.

Super Moderator
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Oldschool View Post
    Actually not true. It's to avoid adding too much fat to the diet. My diet for example, most of my fats are later in the day. So I eat 1c egg whites with only 3 whole eggs in the am with meal 1.

Milehighkratom.com

Sherk15 for 15% off at milehighkratom.com

Super Moderator
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by bc123jm View Post
    sherk whats your current % split ?
    My split varies depending on what day I'm training. My fats stay almost the same but my carbs and protein fluctuate the most.

Milehighkratom.com

Super Moderator
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by HughJassol View Post
    yes if you don't want to swell up like the goodyear blimp.

- - - Updated - - -

I like 50/30/20 but 40/40/20 works too!
    I lean more towards the 50/30/20 when I build my own diet. My coach has different ideas lol.

Milehighkratom.com

Super Moderator
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Rep Points

macro ratios needed can and will vary a lot even in 2 people of similar height, weight and LBM.....training style and frequency...cardio style and frequency are 2 things that can defiantly alter the way macro nutrients are broken down and utilized in the body to some degree....but the amount of protein,carbs and fat in and around times of high energy use by the body can and will make a difference as to what could end up as stored fat...even protein can be stored as fat if over consumed during high energy ouput combined with high glucose intake...ATP and gluconeogenesis will block amino acid uptake and convert them to lipids which will store as fat....but you really have to screw your macro's up or have liver issues to make this happen in most people...its not as common or easy as some will think...

All information given is for Educational Purposes Only

IronMag Research - s2h15 for 15% off on IMR products

milehigh15 coupon code for 15% off your milehighK order!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Oldschool View Post
    Got it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    183 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Sherk View Post
    Actually not true. It's to avoid adding too much fat to the diet. My diet for example, most of my fats are later in the day. So I eat 1c egg whites with only 3 whole eggs in the am with meal 1.
    Before the fat is bad craze in the 70s and 80s we built great bodies with whole foods which included fats. Then the fat free era rushed in, supported by the government's food pyramid. Now there is a shift back towards fats are not so bad after all... so yes, I sould stand by my original statement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    183 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by tommygunz View Post
    I'm an endomorph so my bulking requirement are substantially less than an ectomorph.
    Endos have to work hardest to find that balance but once you do.... the problem is that you have to stay fairly strict which takes the fun out of it. Lol

Super Moderator
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Rep Points

Do you apply a shotgun or sniper rifle approach to your nutrition? Small changes and precision is KEY! Keeping insulin levels extremely elevated will only reduce insulin sensitivity and increase inflammation over the long term. He who uses carbohydrates BEST, wins! NOT he who uses the most carbohydrates.

There is a difference to having carbs IMMEDIATELY pre training, and several hours before the workout. The idea here is to eat a well-balanced meal of lean protein and slow- digesting carbohydrates with enough time for the meal to leave your stomach and enter your muscles and tissues.

Now the real question..should you have carbs immediately before a workout? It is all really goal and individual dependent. For most people (myself included), I recommend keeping carbohydrate intake low before workouts to ensure optimal focus, energy, growth hormone release AND optimal serotonin levels. When I received my diet from my new coach, I noticed he had the same set up and approach to this that I did before training. 1 cup egg whites with a bagel plain. Too many carbohydrates before working out can make you feel bloated, lethargic and fatigue faster. Reason being is simple; insulin spike.

So what is insulin? Insulin is a hormone secreted by the pancreas when you have eaten carbohydrates.* Have you ever eaten a big pasta meal, and wanted to take a nap a few hours later?* Have you ever started eating chips or crackers and you just couldn’t stop?* If you have experienced one or both of these situations, you have EXPERIENCED what an insulin spike can do to you.*Since insulin’s job is to lower blood sugar, it does just that.*But because of the huge insulin spike, it can lower blood sugar a bit too much, and that is when you feel drowsy, tired, and generally like you need a nap! Not a good thing when you're trying to hit the gym.

When you eat carbohydrates, they are absorbed into the blood stream (as glucose) which in turn elevates your blood sugar levels. The pancreas secretes insulin to help your body process the increased blood sugar (or glucose) and stores it as glycogen in your muscles and liver.* If the glycogen stores in your muscles and liver are full, then the ‘excess' blood sugar is stored as BODY FAT! If your body is secreting insulin, it is in a ‘storing’ process, and NO body fat will be burned.

So now that you see carbohydrates are directly tied to your insulin levels, it's a good time to tell you that fats have a role in this as well.*If you are eating healthy fats with your meals, these fats will SLOW the digestion of carbohydrates which will slow the rise in blood sugar which will keep those insulin spikes at bay. So what is a healthy fat? A balance between Omega 3 (from fish oil) and Omega 6 fats (found in vegetable oils; corn, sesame, safflower, peanut, avocados etc…). We naturally get enough, often too much Omega 6 fats in our diet.*To have a proper balance, you have to be conscious of and increase your Omega 3 intake which can be found in fish, wild meats (my favorite type of meat) and grass fed beef. An easy way to get these is from fish oil supplements. If you're eating BAD fats (trans-fats) or you are not eating the proper balance of omega 3 and omega 6 fats, your cells won’t be able to convert the blood sugar easily, leading to insulin resistance. Which brings me to the next topic about insulin.

You might be wondering what exactly insulin resistance is or means, right? Insulin resistance is when your cells are less affected by insulin and your blood sugar (from carbs you have eaten) can’t move freely into your body’s cells to be either burned or stored. As a reaction your pancreas secretes more insulin and you have both high levels of glucose and insulin circulating in your body with neither of them going to where they are supposed to be. High levels of insulin trigger the production of stress hormone, cortisol along with blood sugar WILL be turned into body fat. Insulin resistance negatively effects body fat (especially belly fat), increases the risk of cardiovascular diseases and hormone health including testosterone. In men, lower testosterone levels are associated with higher body fat, less lean muscle mass, lack of sexual desire, and overall poor health. Insulin resistance ultimately will turn into Type 2 Diabetes. However, insulin resistance is not a constant and can be improved with nutrition and exercise!

Milehighkratom.com

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

That's good info. This seems specific to bodybuilding though. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Let's look at athletes such baseball, football, basketball soccer marathon and ultra marathon runners crossfit and competitive powerlifters.

Most these sports have long marches or games where the athletes usually don't eat during games. How would you outline a nutrition plan for a crossfitter, powerlifter, marathon or ultra marathon athlete?

I would assume these athletes load up on carbs.

Super Moderator
    SUPER MOD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by DeOpressoLiber7 View Post
    That's good info. This seems specific to bodybuilding though. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Let's look at athletes such baseball, football, basketball soccer marathon and ultra marathon runners crossfit and competitive powerlifters.

Most these sports have long marches or games where the athletes usually don't eat during games. How would you outline a nutrition plan for a crossfitter, powerlifter, marathon or ultra marathon athlete?

I would assume these athletes load up on carbs.
    No. no matter what sport you play or don't play, carbs have the same effect on your insulin. To carb load before a marathon would be poor decision. Carbs yes, but to eat large amount of carbs before any physical activity isn't a smart move. You'll be bloated and tired. Some carbs are good, a lot of carbs are bad. This is not just bodybuilding based.

Milehighkratom.com