• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Question regarding birth control

thewaterboy

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Thanks for any input that comes in.
So my wife was previously on the nuva ring, but had it taken out for personal reasons. She changed to nexolanon (spelling? But the arm implant). Previously on the ring, which she started using after our last child and a short stint on an oral birth control, she was able to keep bodyfat levels around 18%. She is an avid crossfitter and performed well and felt her best around this percentage (she has been lower). After she switched to the implant her physique and bodyfat has consistantly changed while diet and training have not. I dropped her calories by a couple hundred with no change. I got her all the way down to a 500 calorie deficit with no real change. I did this over the course of about 12 weeks. Has anyone had these issues? She still performs well, but she has become increasingly unhappy with her physique. While she still looks good in my book (last measurement hydrostatic has her at 24%), she is unhappy and I can most definitely relate to those feels. I can layy her stats out, diet, and training as well if asked. She eats clean and well though and never had issues until this implant. should she give it more time to stabilize? Should she pull it. Is there anything that can be done to combat it? Her ob doesn't seem bothered by it, but she's simply not happy about it. Again, thanks for any input.

Some birth control can fuck women up. That is not uncommon.... sucks for you but, if you want her happy hormone wise and weight wise wear a condom. That or get your balls cut.

I need to write a book, some of you fuckers are clueless. I swear married men should know way more than me but they have no fucking clue.

Some birth control can fuck women up. That is not uncommon.... sucks for you but, if you want her happy hormone wise and weight wise wear a condom. That or get your balls cut.

I need to write a book, some of you fuckers are clueless. I swear married men should know way more than me but they have no fucking clue.

No doubt we're done with kids anyways (I think/hope). It's actually been discussed, as well as her getting an ablation

Thanks for any input that comes in.
So my wife was previously on the nuva ring, but had it taken out for personal reasons. She changed to nexolanon (spelling? But the arm implant). Previously on the ring, which she started using after our last child and a short stint on an oral birth control, she was able to keep bodyfat levels around 18%. She is an avid crossfitter and performed well and felt her best around this percentage (she has been lower). After she switched to the implant her physique and bodyfat has consistantly changed while diet and training have not. I dropped her calories by a couple hundred with no change. I got her all the way down to a 500 calorie deficit with no real change. I did this over the course of about 12 weeks. Has anyone had these issues? She still performs well, but she has become increasingly unhappy with her physique. While she still looks good in my book (last measurement hydrostatic has her at 24%), she is unhappy and I can most definitely relate to those feels. I can layy her stats out, diet, and training as well if asked. She eats clean and well though and never had issues until this implant. should she give it more time to stabilize? Should she pull it. Is there anything that can be done to combat it? Her ob doesn't seem bothered by it, but she's simply not happy about it. Again, thanks for any input.
If her body fat shot up from 18% to 24% in a short period of time then something is definitely off. If you cut her cals by 500, she may be still sneaking and not being honest... OR you need to work out her breakdown to ensure she is in a 500 Cal deficit for sure. Increase her cardio, re-evaluate her diet and give it another 12

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

It sounds to me like your wife has had a pretty good handle on things up to this point, so you have to take into consideration, what has changed ?
A new type of Birth control can and does sometimes wreak havoc. I had a similar issue a few years back with the Mirena. Our MD's sometimes don't want to listen to the fact that some of us DO in fact know our own bodies pretty well. The only way she will know for certain is to have it removed. I had to HOUND my doctor about getting mine out, but went back to feeling normal again after I did. There are so many options for BC these days, if her GUT is telling her this thing is a problem, she might want to listen to it, just my $0.02 ;)

Calm down Tiger

OP
I would give time
Maybe 6-8 wks and get bloods
If u have xtra cash , get ur own bloods
U can say research
Google will give u million opinions but find a forum or blog that will have similar
Effects on topic
Progress's right on
Gear Godess and Mrs R ( my love next lifetime ) got are right on for fems
Hope shellsfit can shine in
But extra bloods u pay for and little research will help
Then try 2or 3 diff Drs
And ask opinion

I went off hormonal birth control about 7 years ago because it wreaked a different kind of havoc with every different method. I have scars on my cheeks from the acne one caused...shot up 30lbs in three months on another only to promptly drop it as soon as I came off it...tiny stretch marks next to my knees from crazy bad water retention on another...
I was diagnosed with severe ovarian cysts on yet another..

Hubs got snipped after our last baby.

Calm down Tiger

Eh it's all good, I get where he's coming from. Just never looked into it because I never had a need to. I needed some quick insight. Lazy...maybe, but I spent a long time researching before aas use and I figured looking into this would be the same. So it seemed logical to ask the ladies.

I wouldn't think she'd lie about sneaking stuff in. She's upfront and if she eats outside of her "norm" she still calcs it into her daily macros. So whole it may not be a "clean" meal it still fits into her intake requirements. She cooks crossfit classes and strength 5 days a week. So I'm not sure cardio would be an issue as she's easily hitting 20-30 minutes of hiit style training. I wouldn't say it's been quick either, just steady increases for 8 months despite deficits. The doctors won't even take it out fort another 4 months though. I guess it had to be in for a year. I'll assess her intake again, but she definitely never had problems until the switch.

IML Gear Cream!
I went off hormonal birth control about 7 years ago because it wreaked a different kind of havoc with every different method. I have scars on my cheeks from the acne one caused...shot up 30lbs in three months on another only to promptly drop it as soon as I came off it...tiny stretch marks next to my knees from crazy bad water retention on another...
I was diagnosed with severe ovarian cysts on yet another..

Hubs got snipped after our last baby.

This is what we've been discussing as of late. Either that, or her getting an ablation. For now though they won't consider removal for another 4 months. I just want her to start settirng some rest before then.

It sounds to me like your wife has had a pretty good handle on things up to this point, so you have to take into consideration, what has changed ?
A new type of Birth control can and does sometimes wreak havoc. I had a similar issue a few years back with the Mirena. Our MD's sometimes don't want to listen to the fact that some of us DO in fact know our own bodies pretty well. The only way she will know for certain is to have it removed. I had to HOUND my doctor about getting mine out, but went back to feeling normal again after I did. There are so many options for BC these days, if her GUT is telling her this thing is a problem, she might want to listen to it, just my $0.02 ;)

The birth control is the only thing we can think of that's changed. I will take mishs advise on personal blood work as well. Again because I have researched it what should I have ran for the bloods?

My apologies Sheriv
Haven't seen u post in a while
Much respect
Sorry to derail OP

No doubt we're done with kids anyways (I think/hope). It's actually been discussed, as well as her getting an ablation
I am definitely not an expert on the subject of birth control, BUT I can address the issue of Endometrial Ablation. I had this procedure done quite a few years back. While I don't think it was a means of birth control back then, my issue was fibroids. However, it was explained to me that it would most likely eliminate any chance of conception. But there was always a possibility it could still happen. Some puffiness and bloating and gas issues post op, but that all goes away in a short amount of time. Out patient procedure, very little pain, just mild discomfort for a few days. I saw a good article relative to this on webMD. I tried to copy and paste it but didn't work on my tablet. Anyhow, it looks like you've done a good amount of research regarding options. I'm sure the two of you will do what's best for you considering the goals and results you are looking for.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to timeline this to clear up my original post which after proof reading, is very scattered.

Baby girl born, no bc for breastfeading (2 months). Lost weight, almost back to pre pregancy weight.

Stopped breastfeeding ran 6 weeks anavar @10mg/daily(not her first cycle). Stellar results.

Did one month on oral bc per ob then was put on the nuva ring. No issues maintaining weight.

Decided to switch to the implant because sex started becoming uncomfortable/painful (shifted ring, which I guess is common).

So far 8 months on the implant with steady increases in weight. Weight gain was fairly immediate. All dietary changes were given 12 weeks to see results. First deficit was 200-300 cals, 2nd defecit was 500. These deficits have us to current.

I wish I would have posted like this to begin with, but I was scatter-brained.

I'm going to timeline this to clear up my original post which after proof reading, is very scattered.

Baby girl born, no bc for breastfeading (2 months). Lost weight, almost back to pre pregancy weight.

Stopped breastfeeding ran 6 weeks anavar @10mg/daily(not her first cycle). Stellar results.

Did one month on oral bc per ob then was put on the nuva ring. No issues maintaining weight.

Decided to switch to the implant because sex started becoming uncomfortable/painful (shifted ring, which I guess is common).

So far 8 months on the implant with steady increases in weight. Weight gain was fairly immediate. All dietary changes were given 12 weeks to see results. First deficit was 200-300 cals, 2nd defecit was 500. These deficits have us to current.

I wish I would have posted like this to begin with, but I was scatter-brained.
This is kinda starting to paint a picture... where is her weight gain? What areas specifically... is she bloated, any other indications of changes... skin, hair, overall feeling?

And what does her diet look like. You said she's pretty much doing what she did pre baby... can you give more details?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Crossfit 5 days a week consistent 3 days long metcon (20-30 hiit style) with some skills work thrown in. The other 2 days will be strength.. heavy sqaut, dl, push press, clean/jerk, snatch and will have a short wod thrown in (10 min hiit style). Shes been doing this since before pregancy with great results. Continued once cleared from post pregnancy with great results. Still continuing. Coaches haven't changed.

Her macros were originally set by her coach after pregancy. She was about 2400 cals (35p/40c/25f). She maintained weight here very well while in nuva. She was pretty lean (not contest lean, but lean). She wasn't weighing because she was happy with her body and she was quite on honestly toned. It was very similar pre pregnancy with physique and cals were similar (maybe a couple hundred cals higher pre).

Right now I have her at 1860 cals 186g carbs, 163p, 51f and she's consistent. Unless we go out together (once in a while) but she does plug it in the best she can and accounts for it, it also happens rarely because I also eat consistently and stick to meal plans). She's been at this deficit for 12 weeks.

Gains are being seen in her love handles (stomach to lower back) and lower stomach. Breasts are the same (or at least not visually noticeable to me or her. Hips, legs, butt...All seem to be unchanged as well. She is setting more acne them usual, but it's not bad and doesn't seem to be bothering her much. She has also noticed more oil on her face and in her hair.

She eats whole food. Carbs she sticks to quinoa, sweet potatoes, black rice (some times), and oatmeal (almond milk and banana with it), leafy greens, and broccoli, etc.

Fats are from meat, evoo, and predominately coconut oil(she likes mct's)

Protein would be steak (sometimes), chicken, turkey, ham (sometimes) and fish

She doesn't use many shakes, but if she does is carnivore beef isolate mixed with peanut butter.

She's carb heavy with protein in the morning

Leafy greens, fats, proteins through the day.

Then protein and heavy carbs pre (lower carb pre) and post workout.

Her weight and body fat is being monitored by her coach. She's cf2, she also has personal training certs, and a army master fitness cert. She test bf with calipers and also does the army method. We did the hrydro test because I had a voucher to use and it was very similar to the calipers. Her coach can't make sense of it either.

Nexplanon is well known for giving females issues with controlling there weight...more so the the previous implant (i think it was Impalon spell??)...if a female wants to stay lean imo she should not use implants for BC....keep in mind BC is synthetic estrogen and progesterone usd to prevent Ovulation...so if she isnt "regular" with the implant there is a pretty good chance she is Ovulating at some point each month to some degree...which means more estrogen = weight gain...

Get Shredded!
Nexplanon is well known for giving females issues with controlling there weight...more so the the previous implant (i think it was Impalon spell??)...if a female wants to stay lean imo she should not use implants for BC....keep in mind BC is synthetic estrogen and progesterone usd to prevent Ovulation...so if she isnt "regular" with the implant there is a pretty good chance she is Ovulating at some point each month to some degree...which means more estrogen = weight gain...

Is there anything you can do to combat this? In the end she's going to have it removed because this is the only thing she knows that had changed. I support her with her thoughts about it. Unfortunately, her ob won't consider removal until it's been in for a full year.

Is there anything you can do to combat this? In the end she's going to have it removed because this is the only thing she knows that had changed. I support her with her thoughts about it. Unfortunately, her ob won't consider removal until it's been in for a full year.

remove it...really that is the real fix.....but also dont starve her on 500 cals....imo keep her food intake around maintence but pull carbs out of all meals except meal #1 and before trainng .....this will allow for less water retention...if you drop her cals that far below maintence her body will use muscle for fuel and store fat...

Ok I'll start walking her calories up. Low carb as in 100-120g? If she low carbs would would it be worth while to shoot for a targeted keto?

I see a lot of info going both ways on this topic, but previously when running var she wasn't on bc. After bringing her calories up can she run var while the implant is still in?

you could do very low carbs like 50-75g ed and then give her a refeed every 5 or 6 days to restore glycogen....

Just a thought, but maybe worth checking.....
I got the same story with my Mirena, had to be left in for a certain amount of time. It wasn't ACTUALLY that it had to be left in, it was because insurance wont pay to have it removed until its been in for a certain time, they aren't always clear on that. I paid for it out of pocket to have mine removed....was worth it :winkfinger: cant hurt to ask

I'll try her out on a cyclical keto then like you're suggesting, she should at the very least see some quick water weight drops which hopefully will improve moral.

Mrsrobinson I will definitely look into that. I'll threaten to check with other ob/gyn's. I don't know why they couldn't just state it's causing the patient adverse side affects and medically needs to be removed. I have steady hands and can feel it just below the surface, maybe I should just have her bring med supplies home and cut it out myself...jk...but I may consider lol.

Crossfit 5 days a week consistent 3 days long metcon (20-30 hiit style) with some skills work thrown in. The other 2 days will be strength.. heavy sqaut, dl, push press, clean/jerk, snatch and will have a short wod thrown in (10 min hiit style). Shes been doing this since before pregancy with great results. Continued once cleared from post pregnancy with great results. Still continuing. Coaches haven't changed.

Her macros were originally set by her coach after pregancy. She was about 2400 cals (35p/40c/25f). She maintained weight here very well while in nuva. She was pretty lean (not contest lean, but lean). She wasn't weighing because she was happy with her body and she was quite on honestly toned. It was very similar pre pregnancy with physique and cals were similar (maybe a couple hundred cals higher pre).

Right now I have her at 1860 cals 186g carbs, 163p, 51f and she's consistent. Unless we go out together (once in a while) but she does plug it in the best she can and accounts for it, it also happens rarely because I also eat consistently and stick to meal plans). She's been at this deficit for 12 weeks.

Gains are being seen in her love handles (stomach to lower back) and lower stomach. Breasts are the same (or at least not visually noticeable to me or her. Hips, legs, butt...All seem to be unchanged as well. She is setting more acne them usual, but it's not bad and doesn't seem to be bothering her much. She has also noticed more oil on her face and in her hair.
Sounds like she has it all in order and looks good but what I would suggest is lowering carbs. Keep them for early in the day. Great choices for sure. If she can't get the bc taken out yet, she almost needs to try and adjust her food if all else is in line and it appears that way. Our bodies do a total overhaul after a baby (plus every 7 or so years, I believe) so she may be due for some changes... how old is she? I don't think you shared that with us... I know women over 30 tend to need a huge adjustment.

Based on where she's added weight, it's the midsection area... a lot of that can be due to stress IMO... just simply the adjustment post baby and her hormones being all over the place and the bc implant overpowering her body wanting to balance. I personally don't have experience with that particular bc implant (only nuva, depo, etc) but seems like it's putting some stress on her body.

I think once she has it out, she will drop that weight quickly. But in the meantime, adjusting her carbs will help. Stick with oatmeal, sweet potato and green veggies - broccoli, green beans, etc... for her carbs. And see where she's at in a few weeks.
She eats whole food. Carbs she sticks to quinoa, sweet potatoes, black rice (some times), and oatmeal (almond milk and banana with it), leafy greens, and broccoli, etc.

Fats are from meat, evoo, and predominately coconut oil(she likes mct's)

Protein would be steak (sometimes), chicken, turkey, ham (sometimes) and fish

She doesn't use many shakes, but if she does is carnivore beef isolate mixed with peanut butter.

She's carb heavy with protein in the morning

Leafy greens, fats, proteins through the day.

Then protein and heavy carbs pre (lower carb pre) and post workout.

I see a lot of info going both ways on this topic, but previously when running var she wasn't on bc. After bringing her calories up can she run var while the implant is still in?
I'm almost wondering if it would be better for her to incorporate Nolvadex for a short period of time rather than var just yet. It will help her control her weight gain because of where she's at. I've only used it in prep but you have a wifey who is trying to combat that increased estrogen that's giving her grief. 4 weeks 20mg then taper down the last week so she doesn't have any rebounds.

When is she going to have her bloodwoork done? When was her last test?

I'm almost wondering if it would be better for her to incorporate Nolvadex for a short period of time rather than var just yet. It will help her control her weight gain because of where she's at. I've only used it in prep but you have a wifey who is trying to combat that increased estrogen that's giving her grief. 4 weeks 20mg then taper down the last week so she doesn't have any rebounds.

When is she going to have her bloodwoork done? When was her last test?

It was a couple months ago (6 months on per ob), he went over it with her and he want alarmed by anything. She didn't ask for a copy of it, but I'm sure we could acquire it. I'm not sure when three ob will schedule bloods work (I want to say the next one is annual though). However, I'm not opposed to getting her blood work done out of pocket either, I do it for myself all the time. Should I just be doing a standard female panel for her, or is there extra things she should be tested for?

Back