Small Gym vs Big Gym

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Small Gym vs Big Gym

I am working out for years in a small gym. They do not have a the fancy equipments like seating incline or decline press, standing calves, 150lbs dumbbells, etc.
    A few month ago a Gold's Gym open close to where I live. It would double my travel time and the gas.
    Question is: Can you get big in a small gym or do you have to join a big gym with more equipments available?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Small gym=Great people but shitty hours. Big gym=more doushy crosfit fags but they are open 24/7. But you can get big at either one. Hell, you can lift anything heavy and get big.
    Last edited by BigTime; 03-25-2015 at 05:55 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by BigTime View Post
    Small gym=Great people but shitty hours. Big gym=more doushy crosfit fags but they are open 24/7. But you can get big at either one. Hell, you can lift anything heavy and get big.
    Exactly right. I work out at a anytime gym right now. There are open 24/7, but known for limited equipments. You already pointed that out. They know almost every member by name. Gold gym was a coming and going. Not really personal, but I was impressed by the many different equipment they had.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Rep Points

Small gym. Be the big fish in a little pond.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

I definitely prefer a smaller gym as long as they have the basic equipment I need. I'm usually pretty creative with limited equipment though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalJC View Post
    Small gym. Be the big fish in a little pond.
    Have not seen it that way. Fantastique.

Low Life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Rep Points

Big gym= 30 year membership that has to be paid even when they close because there is one within a 1000 miles of you and you somehow overlooked that in the agreement. Small gym = pay ,if it sucks don't pay ,leave

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

I seriously disagree here. But only in my personal experience. I am a member at two gyms. One is 4 miles from my house. Small, all the necessary equipment, one squat rack (which has fixed pins and is useless), one power rack and up to 125 lb db, two smith machines. This gym is full of nothing but 140 lb faggot kids standing around texting, having social hour and trying their best to blow out their shoulders. Its like the place is full of rats. Full of shit bags with zero concept of gym etiquette. I cant get through a training day without some serious rage distraction. its computer code locked and is open from 5am to midnight so hours arent really an issue. The retard owner wont buy shit. If a machine breaks he replaces it with a fucking ab or cardio machine.
    Last month I decided I couldnt take it anymore and joined my bro's gym 40 miles away and its worth every minute of the drive. Its huge (independent owned, not a chain), hardcore gym. 2/3 powerlifting and 1/3 BB'ing. Great equipment, strongman equipment, tons of powerlifting gear, deadlift platforms, multiple monolifts, db's to 200 lb, this place has some serious vibe and atmosphere. Very motivational. All the regulars I have interacted with are very nice. But then....there are no skinny fuck head kids here.
    I still keep the membership at the other gym incase I cant make the drive on a given day but I say.....find a bigger gym that is NOT a chain ie: golds, ect... More hardcore. I bet you'll find nicer, more helpful people there and probably some big motherfuckers who can be pretty motivational.
    RIP Big Lou

All statements made by BTC are for entertainment purposes only. Not meant to be taken literally.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Rep Points

Small Gym vs Big Gym

Quote Originally Posted by BTC View Post
    I seriously disagree here. But only in my personal experience. I am a member at two gyms. One is 4 miles from my house. Small, all the necessary equipment, one squat rack (which has fixed pins and is useless), one power rack and up to 125 lb db, two smith machines. This gym is full of nothing but 140 lb faggot kids standing around texting, having social hour and trying their best to blow out their shoulders. Its like the place is full of rats. Full of shit bags with zero concept of gym etiquette. I cant get through a training day without some serious rage distraction. its computer code locked and is open from 5am to midnight so hours arent really an issue. The retard owner wont buy shit. If a machine breaks he replaces it with a fucking ab or cardio machine.
    Last month I decided I couldnt take it anymore and joined my bro's gym 40 miles away and its worth every minute of the drive. Its huge (independent owned, not a chain), hardcore gym. 2/3 powerlifting and 1/3 BB'ing. Great equipment, strongman equipment, tons of powerlifting gear, deadlift platforms, multiple monolifts, db's to 200 lb, this place has some serious vibe and atmosphere. Very motivational. All the regulars I have interacted with are very nice. But then....there are no skinny fuck head kids here.
    I still keep the membership at the other gym incase I cant make the drive on a given day but I say.....find a bigger gym that is NOT a chain ie: golds, ect... More hardcore. I bet you'll find nicer, more helpful people there and probably some big motherfuckers who can be pretty motivational.
    Sounds like Ironworks in Bellevue WA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by gdawg View Post
    Big gym= 30 year membership that has to be paid even when they close because there is one within a 1000 miles of you and you somehow overlooked that in the agreement. Small gym = pay ,if it sucks don't pay ,leave
    Wow never seen that. Fuck that shit.

If you can find a bigger hardore type gym that isnt a chain its worth the drive.
    RIP Big Lou

All statements made by BTC are for entertainment purposes only. Not meant to be taken literally.

Low Life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Rep Points

Wow never seen that. Fuck that shit.

If you can find a bigger hardore type gym that isnt a chain its worth the drive.
    Obviously I was exaggerating . Over the years I have seen Gold's , Powerhouse , and World gym come and go here . They all had pretty much the same salesman in common , Multi year membership with payments out the ass . When the franchise takes a dump you pay because there is a location within a "reasonable" distance well reasonable to me ain't 30 miles. In the end The Y never goes anywhere . Right now I'm gonna walk downstairs and get it done

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Seems like peoples ideas of small and big gyms are different. In my town the small gym is a hole in the wall where the newest piece of equipment they have is from 1995 and most of the clientel is 40 yr old + males. There is grunting, weights slaming my kinda place. Only problem is they close at like 7 on weekdays and even earlier on the weekends witch makes it difficult cause I'm the type that gets a wild hair up his ass on a saturday night and wants to go lift. So I'm stuck at the big box 24/7 gym with the middle age women and lawyer doushe bags working thier keagle muscles and blabering about their beach houses.

Board Rep
    BOARD REP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    461 Posts
    Rep Points

My small gym is all bodybuilders not all the newest equipment but everything you need to get shit done.
    Dutch Pharma rep
    Iron Lion Rep
    http://ironlion-lab.net/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Seems like peoples ideas of small and big gyms are different. In my town the small gym is a hole in the wall where the newest piece of equipment they have is from 1995 and most of the clientel is 40 yr old + males. There is grunting, weights slaming my kinda place. Only problem is they close at like 7 on weekdays and even earlier on the weekends witch makes it difficult cause I'm the type that gets a wild hair up his ass on a saturday night and wants to go lift. So I'm stuck at the big box 24/7 gym with the middle age women and lawyer doushe bags working thier keagle muscles and blabering about their beach houses.
    The first gym you described would definitely be my kind of place. But yeah wtf...closing at 7? Da fuck is wrong with people? Before my new gym moved and expanded and had the current computer code lock....at the old location if you bough a membership you got a door key. Cause if the owner wasnt there, no one was getting in.
    I would never be a member at a gym that actually has salesman working there. I know some guys dont have a choice though. But I fucking hate salesman and these douche bags are always comically insulting to someone like me. I just hate salesman...guys that were "born to work in retail" are just slime bags and fake assholes imho.
    I went to a golds years ago on a guest pass and before they would let me work out I had to go get a tour with one of these sales faggots then go get a dissertation on rates and payment options and pressurized about seeing a trainer ect ect.... At the end he';s like so whattya think my man? I said I'm sorry I even got this guest pass, you guys are ridiculous, then I left. That was years ago.
    RIP Big Lou

Carpet-Chewer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    533 Posts
    Rep Points

X2. I agree bro.

In the end, we are there to train. If working around broken equipment or old rickety benches that require your creative side, then go for it. Me, I want shit working right.

Small gyms also have less of everything...one lat pulldown, one seated calf...so you spend more time waiting for equipment too. Not appealing.

However, I do think you can get big and in shape at both. But it shouldn't have to be that hard.