• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Smolov Jr Thread

McDouche

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Smolov Jr.
By McDouche

The Smolov Jr. program is a kinder, gentler version of the original Smolov program, but it still isn't a walk in the park. Smolov Jr. uses more sets but less reps/set to achieve the same volume achieved in the original Smolov program. This also makes it useful for exercises where it is difficult to maintain proper form for higher reps.

The program is intended for experienced lifters, to help you bust through plateaus for heavy lifts (e.g. if your bench has been stalled for a long time), and the best two movements to use for Smolov Jr. are probably Back Squats, Front Squats and Bench Press. I don’t like any Deadlift or hip dominant movements for this because it takes the lower back so long to recover.

To maintain your pull on this program it is fine to power snatch or power clean as a warm up to squatting, whatever you are more comfortable with. Just work up to a heavy double for the day and move on. This isn't the time for conditioning.

If you are running this for your bench press, do NOT add a lot of accessory work. Bench Pressing 4x/week is enough. You can throw in some external rotation work, but that’s it.

I recommend running through the program once as written before making modifications. I've used this several times for bench and have made a PR every time. I usually run this when I need a break from squatting or deadlifting. This makes it feel like I’m not stepping back, but ceasing an opportunity to bring up my weaker lift.

The Smolov Jr program:

Monday
Wednesday
Friday
Saturday
Week 170%x6x6
75%x7x5
80%x8x4
85%x10x3
Week 270%+10LBSx6x6
75%+10LBSx7x5
80%+10LBSx8x4
85%+10LBSx10x3
Week 370%+15LBSx6x6
75%+15LBSx7x5
80%+15LBSx8x4
85%+15LBSx10x3
(The percentages are % of your 1RM)

Week 4 will be rest and some light warmups throughout the week, followed by a PR attempt on Saturday. How the individual prepares during the week is up to them.

A sample of how I would run it if I was running it for Bench Press for the first time:
Monday and Friday:
1) Power Snatch, 2RM
2) Smolov Bench Press
Wednesday and Saturday:
1) Smolov Bench Press
2) Front Squat, 3 sets of 5. Don’t go too heavy here, just get some quality sets done.

A sample of how I would run it if I was running it for Front Squat for the first time.
M&F:
1) Power Snatch, 2RM
2) Smolov Front Squat
Wednesday and Saturday:
1) Smolov Front Squat
2) Bench Press, 3 sets of 5. Don’t go too heavy here, just get some quality sets done.

Diet-wise, you should be eating big - high protein and carbs, and a caloric surplus. This obviously isn't the time to be cutting.

Some more information: http://www.seriouspowerlifting.com/2362/articles/smolov-jr

Last edited by a moderator:
Made some slight edits and stickied!

Last edited:
Love me some smolov on cycle but that shit is too much for a natty lifter...

I did it when I was natural. You have to be mentally strong and dedicated.

I've done smolov jr. With bench, shoulder press and front / back squats seen decent gains with all of them. 10-20# jumps.. But, man it's a battle.. Great program. Did the 13 week smolov back squat went from 395 to 455.

Same here, ran Smolvo and gained 40 lbs to back squat Ass to the grass. Shit works.
I like the above mentioned keeping the oly pulls involved.

Another great program. I like the Smolov for squats as well.

IML Gear Cream!
Did it with my first cycle. Hit a 50lb PR, which isn't typical, but boy is this a great program. I had a friend run it on a loop for an entire summer. He ended up qualifying for IPL Worlds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back