• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Running first cycle want to really add size to chest and arms

JMB1911

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Little history. 40 years old, been doing strength training for 2 years. All I ever do are the basic barbell movements with heavy weight and low reps.

Thanks to the great community here I have decided to run my first cycle of test c.

i have added some decent mass and strength but would really like to add some chest and arm mass, that is where I am lacking the most.

I will be doing a program similar to the 5/3/1 to keep progressing on strength.

Can anyone recommend how to make the most of my first cycle as far as adding to chest and arms?

For example, on Mondays I will hit my heavy bench, then afterwards do the "other stuff" to add the size. Say I do my warm up sets of bench then my 3 heavy sets of 5 reps. Then what would you suggest for size afterwards? What lifts, how many sets and reps?

On Thursdays my main compound heavy lift is standing overhead press, same sets and reps as bench. What would you suggest after that?

On deadlift days any suggestions? That's on Friday.

I squat on Tuesdays.

To sum it up...

Monday --- bench plus what?

tuesday ---- squat plus what? (Upper body)

thursday ---- overhead press plus what?

friday --- deadlift plus what (upper body)

thanks!

Your workout seems aimed at gaining strength, rather than prioritizing size. More reps and sets (higher volume) to get more blood in there, like 5 sets of 8-12 reps.

Plus, being over 40 myself, I will say that maxing or even doing low rep ranges, is a recipe for injuries to the shoulder, especially on gear at your age. Just saying.

Back off h weight until you can do sets of 8-12 with good form then do 5 sets of each.

Example,
Bench
Incline
Decline
Dips
Flies or crossovers
5 sets of -12 each

To add size you really have to increase the time under tension. Your program is more of a strength program then a size program. I'm not saying to abandon all the heavy lifts. But after you do those heavy sets, you really have to do some sets to increase the time under tension. Wether that be doing 8-12 reps, 5 reps with a slow rep cadence, whatever the case may be. You could even try using a timer, and don't even count reps. Just try to perform a certain exercise for 45-70 seconds max. Play around with it and see what works best for you

Back