• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 🩺Muscle Gelz® HUMANOGEN® - Powered by Ibutamoren® Increases Growth Hormone! (Transdermal - No Injecting!)🏥

BCAAs

GSRacer

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Even when you’ve been around the fitness industry for a while and become cynical and jaded it’s hard not to get caught up in the hype surrounding some supplements:
  • “Feels like deca” (quite a famous one for the old-timers).
  • “250% greater muscle growth!”
  • “The game changer – repartitions nutrients into muscle” (comes in a special BLUE bottle so it must be good.)
But at some point you realize that if you’re eating and sleeping right and training hard you’re likely just paying for expensive urine. Some of the findings about branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs), however, have made me change my mind a little. The Science of BCAAs
shutterstock_94903402.jpg
Amino acids are the building blocks of protein. Of these, nine are considered essential. When a substance is said to be essential for the body it means without it you will die. Essential amino acids therefore are ones we cannot survive without. Likewise essential fatty acids are necessary for us to thrive.
Of the essential amino acids, three account for as much as 33% of muscle tissue – leucine, isoleucine, and valine. The theory goes that because we break down muscle tissue while exercising, supplementing with it can only be a good thing. Supplement companies obviously believe so or else they wouldn’t keep making BCAA supplements, but does the science really back up those claims? Effects on Endurance Exercise A well-known study showed BCAA supplementation worked to increase lactate threshold and exercise endurance. But it should also be noted these trials were not conducted solely on BCAA supplementation, but on BCAAs as well as a 4% carbohydrate solution. While an increase in lactate threshold was clear, no actual increase on performance came about in a controlled time trial! But, just to throw a spanner in the works, other researchers found that a 3% carbohydrate and 1.2% BCAA drink significantly changed exercise performance, despite containing lower total calories and caloric content. In further studies the researchers found that with carbohydrate supplementation alone the subjects were able to cover more distance in a controlled time trial, whereas there was no difference at all between distances covered in BCAA supplementation versus a placebo. However, the rate of perceived exertion did drop in the BCAA group, but no aerobic performance increase could be detected. Resistance Training and BCAAs
shutterstock_94960837.jpg
When it came to resistance training, however, things were substantially different. Researchers found significant increases of testosterone levels in BCAA supplemented trainees following resistance training. These studies concluded that short-term BCAA supplementation may produce a net anabolic hormonal profile change – precisely what you’re after if you lift weights.
The findings of the study concluded that:
Athletes’ nutrient intake, which periodically increases amino acid intake to reflect the increased need for recovery during periods of over reaching, may increase subsequent competitive performance while decreasing the risk of injury or illness.
Conclusions BCAAs have been shown to have benefit primarily for recovery post-training, either from muscle damage or fatigue. Given their cost the best way to use them seems to be in a recovery drink mixed with a low dose of carbohydrate. This can be either used during the training session itself (recommended) or post-training.

source: http://breakingmuscle.com/nutrition/bcaas-what-they-are-and-why-take-them

YES SHE DOES HAVE A PHENOMENAL ASS.

I'm sold on BCAA's. will always use them during training.
Good read GSR.

I'd like to have some Xtend or a flavored bcaa but damn that shits expensive. I have the unflavored dead corpse tasting one.

I'd like to have some Xtend or a flavored bcaa but damn that shits expensive. I have the unflavored dead corpse tasting one.

I wait till it goes on sale at gnc. Modern bcaa grape flavor is great. Reminds me of grape kool-aid. Works out to be less than a dollar per serving and I try to justify it to myself by saying its alot better for me than a Gatorade and half the cost. Supplements are expensive though. Probably dirt cheap to make.

I tried the Xtend bro and for me it upset my stomach.
really liking AllMax amino core, good product and costs about 1$ a serving

Allmax Aminocore fruit punch all the way!!!!!!!

^^^^May have to try this flavor next shopping trip....been using the Caribbean Splash flavor.....
( lol sounds like a cheap cologne now that I type the name) but its damn good as well.

I like Recoverpro by AI sports. Best tasting product on the market and probably one of the cheapest too, about 70 cents a serving IIRC.

I use pro source products and have for years.
Sometimes I go with their brand and sometimes I buy others, they carry a wide selection of supplements.

Here's a idea for you bro's that I like really well.
I use 2 scoop of super pump 250 max, 5grms glutamine, 5grms bcca's and 5grms of creatine all mixed up in a gatorade bottle.
I drink on this while I am training. It gives me energy AND plenty of what I feel I need.
Ofcourse a protein drink prior to training and myozine directly when I am finished with some form of complex carbohydrates. This gets me home for my next meal.
Most times I take a half tab of caffeine(100mgs) also so I get pretty jacked for my routines.
Yes supplements are very expensive but these I feel are pretty important.

Bumping an old thread but bcaa's are one of the few supplements that I always take. I take 10 grams before each workout and sometimes I take more during and post wo. I buy bulk bcaa's, they're unflavored but its 1000 grams for like 35$ which is a pretty good deal.

Alr Industries Chain'd Out is pretty good.. I have the Appletini one.. 3 scoops before 3 scoops after.

BSN Amino X is the best tasting product out. Mixes really well too, just like drinking Kool Aid. Can get expensive though if your mega dosing.

I like Recoverpro by AI sports. Best tasting product on the market and probably one of the cheapest too, about 70 cents a serving IIRC.

BSN Amino X is the best tasting product out. Mixes really well too, just like drinking Kool Aid. Can get expensive though if your mega dosing.
I just realized I said the same thing for two different BCAA products. Let me clarify. Recoverpro is the best tasting product on the market to date for it's price point. If price isn't a factor, the absolute yummiest BCAA product I've ever tried has been Amino-X.

Is there any research on the individual amino acid's affects on test?

From what I have read it seems like Leucine is the prom queen and Isoleucine and valine are her two ugly sisters along for the ride (mTOR pathway research etc)

Get Shredded!
I too am VERY skeptical about supplements, however one I have proved to myself to truly work are BCAA's. I use Haney Rambod's Cell-Kem. It is expensive but a very high quality bcaa in the 4:1:1 ratio. It is used for post-workout recovery and I have seen how it dramatically reduces soreness and speeds recovery. Also I seem to get better gains on it so I use it when on cycle.

yeah its very good to use bcaa during the session and after workout ofcourse with fast absorption protein:))

yeah its very good to use bcaa during the session and after workout ofcourse with fast absorption protein:))

I would say 20 grams pre and 20 grams post with 10 intra if that's your thing.

Yeah I agree, I still take bcaa while working out, I see that it has helped me

Back