• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Goatfishtwo's Beginner Bodybuilding Program.

goatfishtwo

Amateur NPC Bodybuilder
Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Goatfishtwo's Beginner Bodybuilding Program
This is going to be short for the sake of simplicity. I want this to be easily understood to produce a solid base for beginners.

The most important thing to remember with working out for mass is that you do NOT want to overtrain and you do want to develop an effective "workout split" that allows for successful healing which will, of course, lead to muscle growth.

Important notes:
- When you do most back workouts (mostly rows), your biceps are also used
- When you do chest presses, your triceps and front shoulders are also used
- When you do shoulder presses, your triceps are also used

- If you still FEEL too sore to workout then you're probably too sore to workout, always listen to what your body tells you
- If you are doing an exercise and you have an astounding mind to muscle connection and you feel like you're really getting some great sets... don't stop at 3 sets. There is no rule in biology that says you HAVE to do any specific number of sets. The three set thing is not constricting. Again, listen to your body.

- 4 exercises per muscle group will suffice as long as your sets are as intense as you need them to be to induce hypertrophy.
- When you work out longer than ~1 hour (disclaimer: this is a rough estimate, the time can vary from 45-90 minutes depending on a multitude of factors), your body will release cortisol (a glucocorticosteroid) that will be COUNTERproductive to what you're trying to accomplish and induce muscle wasting so don't be under the impression that working out for some insane amount of time will make you bigger faster. It will do quite the opposite.

*** I'll use days of the week rather than numbered days in this example

Monday- Back and Biceps
- Standing bicep curls
- Standing hammer curls
- Straight bar curls
- Concentration curls
- Pull ups
- Lat pull downs
- Seated low row
- T bar row

Tuesday- Legs

- Squats
- Leg press
- Leg extensions
- Leg curls
- Assortment of calf raises
- Calf raise on leg press machine
- Standing calf raise machine
- Etc.

Wednesday- Shoulders and Triceps

- Seated shoulder press with dumbbells
- Lateral raise with dumbbells
- Standing vertical row with straight bar or cable machine
- Shrugs (in whichever way you prefer, I prefer with cables standing on something)
- Skull crushers
- French press
- Tricep extensions w/ cables
- Kickbacks

Thursday- Legs and Back (completely optional, but I'd recommend it, you may also opt to do one or the other rather than both but these are large muscle groups and can really benefit from being worked twice a week)
^^ see above exercises for legs and back

Friday- Chest
- Chest press with dumbbells
- Medium grip bench press
- Incline press with dumbbells
- Medium grip incline press
- Chest flys on cables

Saturday and Sunday- Rest/cardio (your decision)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice guide. Thanks for posting this! You didn't get very specific with the number of sets. Do you recommend a warm up or "flushing" set? Is that included in the 3 sets?

My apologies for that. I'd recommend a light warmup.. And I mean light while working around getting at least 3 sets.

Goatfishtwo's beginner bodybuilding program.

I never warm up cause I work all day I just go stretch and hit it hard y waist energy I start heavy and drop weight as I I go and up reps

I never warm up cause I work all day I just go stretch and hit it hard y waist energy I start heavy and drop weight as I I go and up reps

It's more of a psychological thing for me than a physiological thing. I just like getting the blood flowing to my muscles before I get started. My warmups are super light and super fast.

It's more of a psychological thing for me than a physiological thing. I just like getting the blood flowing to my muscles before I get started. My warmups are super light and super fast.

Nice layout Goatfish !
I agree with you on the psychological part, like vicious I work physically all day but still take the time to go thru some warmup sets, let the music set in, get the game face on and hit the iron!!

Nice layout Goatfish !
I agree with you on the psychological part, like vicious I work physically all day but still take the time to go thru some warmup sets, let the music set in, get the game face on and hit the iron!!

Absolutely. Omnibus64 and I always have to take an extra 15-20 minutes to just get it into our heads that we are about to throw around some iron. I have to transition from [doing nothing] -----> [doing intense work] by some means or my workout will suffer.

not questioning the Gods on this board but why chest only once a week vs legs and back . is it cause the chest gets hit indirectly all that time . was curious

and what is the average rep scheme's to the work out sorry my anayltical mind does this to me . i am assuming 3 work sets

not questioning the Gods on this board but why chest only once a week vs legs and back . is it cause the chest gets hit indirectly all that time . was curious

and what is the average rep scheme's to the work out sorry my anayltical mind does this to me . i am assuming 3 work sets

Most beginners don't work out their legs enough - this is a good way to avoid that common mistake.

In terms of reps, I would recommend varying from week to week. So, for example, do one week at 6-8 reps, one week at 12-14 reps, and then one at 8-10 reps. Confusing your muscles and preventing them from adapting to a routine is key in getting them to grow.

Most beginners don't work out their legs enough - this is a good way to avoid that common mistake.

In terms of reps, I would recommend varying from week to week. So, for example, do one week at 6-8 reps, one week at 12-14 reps, and then one at 8-10 reps. Confusing your muscles and preventing them from adapting to a routine is key in getting them to grow.

If you don't hit legs you'll get negged and banned.

Thursday is a great day to add in dead lifts and front squats.

I like this set up. I have to ask, what is a french press? I'm a coffee snob and love my french press so i have to ask.

And I'll repeat, do legs. Can't build a sturdy house without a proper foundation. When your bench is higher than your squat and dead lift we have a problem.

does this forum not have a place to log ur workouts or progress pics . if not where do u recommend goatfishtwo

Thursday is a great day to add in dead lifts and front squats.

I like this set up. I have to ask, what is a french press? I'm a coffee snob and love my french press so i have to ask.

And I'll repeat, do legs. Can't build a sturdy house without a proper foundation. When your bench is higher than your squat and dead lift we have a problem.

It's basically just skullcrushers but with dumbbells in each hand.

Get Shredded!
What do you recommend as rest time between sets? I've always gone with the "rest until I feel ready" approach, but sometimes that's 45s, and sometimes it's 5min.

Hey i agree with most of it for sure but the whole dont train excessive amounts of time i do 3 hours a day 6 days a week and has been this way for 6 years im a pretty big guy and i obtained it . And not through roids or jus genetics i worked my ass off ! But sum days i take it easy and always do sumthing on my rest days like hiking or suntin jus keep moving. Poimt is i jus looove training but ppl are diff . Now im not telling anyome to do wut imdo hes rite it can be counter productive but i do it strategicly, But none the less great post bro!!

Dumb question #123784324:

Why is chest on Friday? Won't chest suffer b/c you did shoulders on Wed and they aren't fully recovered?

Thank you for the post!

I am also interested in the reasoning behinf having Chest on friday, most of the workout programs I've seen start off with chest after 1-2 rest periods, wouldn't, in this example, chest still suffer from the 4 days before?

Thank you for the post!

I am also interested in the reasoning behinf having Chest on friday, most of the workout programs I've seen start off with chest after 1-2 rest periods, wouldn't, in this example, chest still suffer from the 4 days before?

When i wrote this I basically just wrote what I was doing and what was working well. Chest on Friday was honestly mainly because everyone and their mother does chest on Monday so my partner and I had switched it to Friday.

Back