• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Train like a powerlifter, look like a bodybuilder: Routines discussion

mrsliz1724

Board Rep
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Hello all,

After about 2 or 3 years of "PL" only training I realized this wasn't right. I was weighing in at 225 at 5 foot 8, fat, out of shape, and just really strong. So I started to make a more well rounded with the goal of looking my best while progressing in strength. So I wanted to discuss experiences with routines, opinions, and the likes.

Right now I am finishing up a sheiko CMS-MS prep for my meet on the 13th of October but after that I want to decide on a program that will allow me to progress in strength, lift heavy, but also be customizable enough to allow for improving physique and hypertrophy.

Obvious programs that comes to mind:
PHAT
5/3/1 Jim Wendler
but after that, I am not too sure.

DISCUSS

5X5 is a pretty good mix of the 2.
how do you feel about adding in adittional excercises on each day. As in wide grip pull ups, floor presses, and some additional, hypertrophy based excercises? I have done 5x5 before like 3 years ago and I loved it. I just feel like after doing Sheiko, going to that will feel like im doing close to nothing.

I feel like diet is a major part of bodybuilding. I know PL that sustain an injury, switch to a "bodybuilder" training program and diet out for a year and step on stage looking amazing. That said there are differences in training, but diet is key to being a BB.

how do you feel about adding in adittional excercises on each day. As in wide grip pull ups, floor presses, and some additional, hypertrophy based excercises? I have done 5x5 before like 3 years ago and I loved it. I just feel like after doing Sheiko, going to that will feel like im doing close to nothing.

Of course my man sorry I was not more specific. I like to add the secondary exercises in the form of 5x10, keeps it nice and simple to track progress. Also i consider myself a hybrid lifter and when im cutting for the summer i really like to drop the weights and hold the contraction on every rep. This is amazing for hypertrophy and you will literally see the new separation in your muscles week to week.

I feel like diet is a major part of bodybuilding. I know PL that sustain an injury, switch to a "bodybuilder" training program and diet out for a year and step on stage looking amazing. That said there are differences in training, but diet is key to being a BB.

This is also on the money brother.

oh most definitely. I agree 100%. I eat very healthy but I just have an appetite that is hell for me not to eat a lot. Weirdly, last summer I kept track of my calories and found that my maintenance was around 2300-2500, this is while doing a 5/3/1 with GPP workouts on off days as well as 20 minutes of cardio a day. So my body gains fat and weight at low amounts of calories which fucking sucks.

Here is what I am thinking about guys:

A little mix between 5/3/1, westsides dynamix effort days, as well as pyramiding the main lift.

For example,

Bench day
135 x 5, 155 x 5, 185 x 5, 205 x 5, 225 x 5 (THEN) 185 x 8, 135 x 10.
Then on bench day we would do dynamic effort squats so
6-9 sets of 2 reps of box-squats at 50-60 percent max.
then just go about your bench day banging out floor presses, dips, etc. etc.

The dynamic effort for bench would be on squat day, speed deadlifts would be on shoulder day, and explosive work for shoulders would be on deadlift day.

I am totally digging this thread. Very few of us here are competitive powerlifters, or bodybuilders, more a amateur combination of the two. Big fan of 5/3/1. Like you said DISCUSS.

yea a day by day workout for us lazy guys lol. Weekly spilt or something...get me big bro!
Ill see if I can make a template or something during the week.

Yeah, jerseydevil, check out my post on the 5/3/1 /w dynamic effort from westside and pyramiding the main lift. interested in your opinin.

I receive comments from time to time about how I look as much like a bodybuilder as I do a powerlifter. I've always said focus on heavy weight on the main movements and only do higher reps on the assistance.

Throw in some curls, shoulder/pec isolation work and some heavy abs and you're there. Just clean up your diet.

The biggest difference between BB and powerlifting is most powerlifters eat like slobs and it shows in their physique.

I'm really doing very well with Jim Wendlers 531 Boring But Big workout. I read about it on T-Nation:
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_boring_but_big_3month_challenge
The basic lifts are covered and are the main concern. Then he has added ancillary lifts to cover the rest. In the article above he mentions diet as well. This, as some above mentioned makes the difference between have a BB 'look' or the stereotypical PL over weight look. I prefer to have a leaner look and still have the big strength.

I made an excel spread sheet for the workouts so I plug in my basic numbers and the month is laid out for me. For some of the the ancillary lifts I just picked weights Iknew I could do for the required amount of reps. Also, I try to super set the ancillary lifts. The main lifts I take decent breaks between sets.

I'm in the middle of a 4 month run. I've taken a pic of myself twice so far and will continue till the end of the year so document the changes. So far I've dropped 10lbs fat and my lifts are going up steadily.

I'm really doing very well with Jim Wendlers 531 Boring But Big workout. I read about it on T-Nation:
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_boring_but_big_3month_challenge
The basic lifts are covered and are the main concern. Then he has added ancillary lifts to cover the rest. In the article above he mentions diet as well. This, as some above mentioned makes the difference between have a BB 'look' or the stereotypical PL over weight look. I prefer to have a leaner look and still have the big strength.

I made an excel spread sheet for the workouts so I plug in my basic numbers and the month is laid out for me. For some of the the ancillary lifts I just picked weights Iknew I could do for the required amount of reps. Also, I try to super set the ancillary lifts. The main lifts I take decent breaks between sets.

I'm in the middle of a 4 month run. I've taken a pic of myself twice so far and will continue till the end of the year so document the changes. So far I've dropped 10lbs fat and my lifts are going up steadily.
I can also attest to this. Competed in the 219 weightclass this season with a 540lb deadlift, 495lb squat, and 280lb bench (first season competing). Was using 5/3/1's specifically for powerlifting (it's like Boring But Big but with a lot more crossover exercises) in season, but BBB pre-season, and I actually saw a lot of strength gains. I still prefer the actual PL method if you plan on competing still. I have spreadsheets I made for both BBB and the PL method if you want me to share them.

Also very interested in a modified 5/3/1 westside hybrid, and would be willing to give it a shot.

I have an excel spread sheet I can email if you'd like. Just PM me your email addy and I'll get it to you.
Made it real easy... just plug in your 5 rep max and the rest just fill in automagically.

Of course bro...

Who ever is interested just PM me your email addy. I'll be heading out for a few hours so I'll get it to you when I get home.

Get Shredded!
I agree with you guys, diet is obviously key. I have leaned out quite a bit and realized I am actually starting to get a nice physique for the first time which is great.

5/3/1 is an awesome program in general due to its versatility and what not.

I should have my modified version of 5/3/1 including Dynamic Effort ideas from westside and pyramiding the main lifts. It isn't the prettiest excel sheet but it works haha.

Sorry fellas, been a busy ass few days. I am now running the gym for my high school after school. So after I teach middle school all day I hop in the car and go and cover the gym for 2 - 2 and a half hours. There I am keeping the gym in order, helping kids with form/technique, general questions on lifting, and after my meet next week, lifting there as well.

I will try to have the excel sheet up within the next couple days.

Haha take your time, and that's awesome. I'm working on my CSCS certification and assistant coaching strength for football at a local high school.

Haha take your time, and that's awesome. I'm working on my CSCS certification and assistant coaching strength for football at a local high school.
haha thanks man. thats the one I am eyeing as well. Right now it is not paid, it is my hours, etc. But, just trying to make it into something that htey would want to pay for essentially. Then if I have my license by the summer then I can possibly run a program in the high schools gym and get paid by the city which would be great.

I'd be ok with you just throwing up your workout split in a post.... just copy and paste it. I'm interested in checking it out even if its not all super fancy in a spreadsheet haha.

Love 5/3/1 for the big 3 then an additional 12-16 sets per body part.

I'm training for bb and pl and follow 5/3/1+ppl kinda routine 4-5 days a week in the gym. Best of both worlds

I love Mike Rashid's style training. Basically just "overtraining" on everything.

I've been getting stronger/leaner/bigger muscles since I started training like this.

and carb cycling diet

Fuck forgot to post. I'll set reminder in phone to do today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Back