• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • IronMag Labs® 25% Off Sale!❤️‍🔥 Hardcore Bodybuilding Supplements💪Use Coupon Code ASF25 💊

Where to start someone?

Nocode8511

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
There is a guy in my fire house that asked me to help him out with a gym routine and basic diet information.

Stats:
5' 9"
185lbs
BF% Unknown - I'm guessing you can say skinny fat with him. He carries fat around his midsection only but the rest of him is skinny.

When we were talking today he said he never worked out until he had to qualify for the FD. Even then it wasn't much because it was mostly running and BW exercises. For a workout I'm thinking maybe a 3 day split?

With the diet he was saying he wants to lose the fat and build muscle, ha don't we all. I was thinking 1.5-2 g's of prot per body pound, 1g's of carbs, .5 fat to start with. Any thoughts? Sometimes I hate helping people so through some ideas at me. Thanks

Quite honestly, he's probably gonna see great results from practically doing ANYTHING lol ... a 3 day split with 2 run/cardio days and two days off might serve him well ... keep the scales tipped slightly in favor of weight training while keeping the cardio solid and separate, and plenty of rest. That's my bread and butter routine ... then again, I'm not Brad Pitt from Troy or anything so take that for what it's worth LOL ;)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

In my experience it is best to keep things as simple as possible for beginners, especially if they don't have the same passion for lifting that you do. Macros/counting calories etc. will just overwhelm and confuse them.

My advice is give him a basic routine such as 5/3/1, Bodypart split, WS4SB or anything that tells them exactly what to do and has them doing something 3-5 times a week. As for food just tell them to eat protein every meal and veggies 2-3 times a day and avoid the fast food. If they can do that for 2-4 months only then is it worth it to put any effort into THEIR training. Dealing with quitters and social lifters has made me a little jaded toward this kind of thing maybe haha.

I agree with all said above, the one thing I would add is that every guy that goes into the gym not knowing what to do either burns themselves, doesn't get real gains, or hurts themselves trying to lift like the rest of us. For sure when setting him up on free weights start low for instance the bench give him 50 pounds and get him to just focus on his forum. A lot of new guys feel silly lifting that but they will thank you later. Thats the first thing I always do when taking a friend to the gym and its the same thing my old coach/ trainer taught me. If his body fat is pretty low I'd avoid traditional cardio and I'd throw him on the stair climber. He will see gains faster that way. I take a bodybuilding approach though. For food I would follow the 50% carbs, 28% protein and 22% fats.Based on his weight I'd do 3500 calorie diet 212g protein, 530g carbs, 65g fats. I dropped weight following a similar diet with my lifting and gained muscle mass. Either way nocode I know you'll do great, your logs look good, and you give solid advice on here. Good luck brother. P.S. my calculations are probably a little off but still a good set-up

In my experience it is best to keep things as simple as possible for beginners, especially if they don't have the same passion for lifting that you do. Macros/counting calories etc. will just overwhelm and confuse them.

My advice is give him a basic routine such as 5/3/1, Bodypart split, WS4SB or anything that tells them exactly what to do and has them doing something 3-5 times a week. As for food just tell them to eat protein every meal and veggies 2-3 times a day and avoid the fast food. If they can do that for 2-4 months only then is it worth it to put any effort into THEIR training. Dealing with quitters and social lifters has made me a little jaded toward this kind of thing maybe haha.

^^^
Anything with some gusto will suffice... and no soda or fast food

Back