• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Weight vs. Reps

samgraves82

Board Rep
Board Rep
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Question: I have a question about reps and how much weight is being lifted. What difference does it make (result-wise) whether I do sets of 6 reps with 150 lbs, or 8 reps with 100 lbs?

Assuming the goal here is to build muscle, what matters most in this context is how challenging these sets are for you.

Specifically, how close you’re getting to failure.

If you’re getting equally close to failure in both examples, there probably isn’t going to be much difference at all in terms of results.

Because then we’re just talking about 6 reps vs 8 reps, and with all else being equal, that’s a fairly minor detail.

On the other hand, if the set of 6 reps with 150 lbs was more challenging for you (i.e. you would have failed on rep 7 or 8), and the set of 8 reps with 100 lbs was less challenging for you (i.e. you could have probably done 12-15 reps before reaching failure), then the first scenario would produce better results in the end.

UNCLE Z REP

WWW.UNCLEZ.RU FOR LIST/ORDERING

I like the question and debate. I definitely think using both at different times would make a massive difference if your total diet and output remained the same but, the lower weight with more sets would be better aerobically and the heavier weight low sets (close to fail) would always be best for anyone who’s goal it is to produce hypertrophy. That being said, when sticking to a program for a while you encounter plateaus. So personally I do whatever it takes to blast through it by changing sets/reps, time between sets, time off completely, mess with macros etc.

I once did 3 sets of 100 for certain exercises. I am going to do a slew of experiments to further my calves. 3-4 sets 6-9 reps heavy, every angle , then do 12-15 reps, then 300 reps, just gonna try all kinds of stuff as mine are very long and definitely look good flexed but it is me weakest muscle(gastrocnemius/soleus).

Do you think that this would be a good idea? I have never done this for my calves.

Max

I like the question and debate. I definitely think using both at different times would make a massive difference if your total diet and output remained the same but, the lower weight with more sets would be better aerobically and the heavier weight low sets (close to fail) would always be best for anyone who’s goal it is to produce hypertrophy. That being said, when sticking to a program for a while you encounter plateaus. So personally I do whatever it takes to blast through it by changing sets/reps, time between sets, time off completely, mess with macros etc.

I once did 3 sets of 100 for certain exercises. I am going to do a slew of experiments to further my calves. 3-4 sets 6-9 reps heavy, every angle , then do 12-15 reps, then 300 reps, just gonna try all kinds of stuff as mine are very long and definitely look good flexed but it is me weakest muscle(gastrocnemius/soleus).

Do you think that this would be a good idea? I have never done this for my calves.

Max
I think it's a.perfect idea!! I agree with everything else you said too.
Back to calves, mine have done an ok job of keeping up considering i rarely actually do calves but the one time ive actually seen a noticeable change in my calves(granted I was still a super newb) was doing them 4x week. Standing 6-8 Seated 12-15 off standing 12-15 Seated 6-8. The little bastards carry us around all day too so literally in the 100-300(working up to 300) may actually have some merit here.

UNCLE Z REP

From what I understand failure is failure. At the end of the failure with both weights you will have taxed equal amount of muscle fibers, so for hypertrophy they are the same. For me personally I just find that dropping the weight too low or too high will end up putting too much stress of wear and tear on my joints.

From what I understand failure is failure. At the end of the failure with both weights you will have taxed equal amount of muscle fibers, so for hypertrophy they are the same. For me personally I just find that dropping the weight too low or too high will end up putting too much stress of wear and tear on my joints.
Ur absolutely right. He said in there Just that too. That said, there's a difference, imo, between failure with heavy weight or failing at 20-30 reps cause of fatigue or the burn from metabolites being washed out and built up ie not true muscular failure but if you have the endurance then yes failure is failure

UNCLE Z REP

I think it's a.perfect idea!! I agree with everything else you said too.
Back to calves, mine have done an ok job of keeping up considering i rarely actually do calves but the one time ive actually seen a noticeable change in my calves(granted I was still a super newb) was doing them 4x week. Standing 6-8 Seated 12-15 off standing 12-15 Seated 6-8. The little bastards carry us around all day too so literally in the 100-300(working up to 300) may actually have some merit here.

UNCLE Z REP

I may try alternating calves and abs just add in one or the other to each day. Also, try different total rep ranges for 1 month at a time. Appreciate it

Max

Question: I have a question about reps and how much weight is being lifted. What difference does it make (result-wise) whether I do sets of 6 reps with 150 lbs, or 8 reps with 100 lbs?

Assuming the goal here is to build muscle, what matters most in this context is how challenging these sets are for you.

Specifically, how close you’re getting to failure.

If you’re getting equally close to failure in both examples, there probably isn’t going to be much difference at all in terms of results.

Because then we’re just talking about 6 reps vs 8 reps, and with all else being equal, that’s a fairly minor detail.

On the other hand, if the set of 6 reps with 150 lbs was more challenging for you (i.e. you would have failed on rep 7 or 8), and the set of 8 reps with 100 lbs was less challenging for you (i.e. you could have probably done 12-15 reps before reaching failure), then the first scenario would produce better results in the end.

UNCLE Z REP

Excellent explanation msn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ur absolutely right. He said in there Just that too. That said, there's a difference, imo, between failure with heavy weight or failing at 20-30 reps cause of fatigue or the burn from metabolites being washed out and built up ie not true muscular failure but if you have the endurance then yes failure is failure

UNCLE Z REP

I agree. I guess I'm more referring to anything in the 5-15 rep range. I honestly think once you go beyond 20 reps, you are taxing your cardiovascular system too (depending on the exercise). So sometimes I'm not sure did I stop because my muscles are done or am I just getting oxygen depleted.

I agree. I guess I'm more referring to anything in the 5-15 rep range. I honestly think once you go beyond 20 reps, you are taxing your cardiovascular system too (depending on the exercise). So sometimes I'm not sure did I stop because my muscles are done or am I just getting oxygen depleted.
Yes sir. At the end of the day we need all rep ranges

UNCLE Z REP

I've done anywhere from 1 to 12 reps on the big compound exercises I do at the beginning of a workout, like bench pressing, deadlifts, and squats. After a string of injuries and a recent pec tear I've totally tossed a portion of this thinking as in I'm keeping everything between 6 to 12 reps, sometimes 15 reps. I think going over 15 reps even has a place at least for me. I've been hitting legs with giant 25 rep sets and It's been going well.

IML Gear Cream!
I would say time under tension or time working muscle in a set is really all that matters for the most part. It’s usually the people who go in bang out the set in 7-15 seconds are the ones who year after year dont make any progress. Then watch the guys who are methodical about squeezing contracting and performing a negative, they get the best results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've done anywhere from 1 to 12 reps on the big compound exercises I do at the beginning of a workout, like bench pressing, deadlifts, and squats. After a string of injuries and a recent pec tear I've totally tossed a portion of this thinking as in I'm keeping everything between 6 to 12 reps, sometimes 15 reps. I think going over 15 reps even has a place at least for me. I've been hitting legs with giant 25 rep sets and It's been going well.
Yep!! Me too mostly. Don't go under 4-5 right now tho and high as 20+

UNCLE Z REP

Does the whole “high reps for definition and low for mass” have any merit then?
Absolutely not imo. My rebuttal for people who say "I just wanna do high reps and get toned" is always "what do you think most pro bodybuilders do especially into a show?"

UNCLE Z REP

I always have Girls and Guys say, “ I don’t wanna get big muscles like that!” referencing a bodybuilder look. I always laugh on the inside.
I tell them, “ Dont worry about that, muscle don’t just grow overnight” that takes serious work. They think heavy reps equal a bodybuilder look when it isn’t true. It can be one if the best thing for senior lifters too. All the muscle loss and fat gain. Cardio and diet are the key forces. I never put someone on a treadmill either and stand there. I see trainers doing that, what a scam. I do weights or circuit training with them and make sure they learn to log and about nutrition. Kind of have to re-program their minds. This thread reminded me of a lot of misconceptions about training.

Max

I always have Girls and Guys say, “ I don’t wanna get big muscles like that!” referencing a bodybuilder look. I always laugh on the inside.
I tell them, “ Dont worry about that, muscle don’t just grow overnight” that takes serious work. They think heavy reps equal a bodybuilder look when it isn’t true. It can be one if the best thing for senior lifters too. All the muscle loss and fat gain. Cardio and diet are the key forces. I never put someone on a treadmill either and stand there. I see trainers doing that, what a scam. I do weights or circuit training with them and make sure they learn to log and about nutrition. Kind of have to re-program their minds. This thread reminded me of a lot of misconceptions about training.

Max
I 2nd every single word!!!

UNCLE Z REP

<br>

This.

The muscle doesn't understand weight, it understand time under tension. Once you continue to breakdown that muscle and creating tears by filling it with blood then the muscle rebuilds itself to be bigger and stronger to handle the load better.

Throwing heavy weight is for when we want to strength train and there's nothing wrong with that. That's why there's a difference in the physiques of bodybuilders and strong men competitors.

Lighten the load and get good solid reps in.

Back