• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

How to reduce your chance of injury when bodybuilding

Arnold

Numero Uno
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
How to reduce your chance of injury when bodybuilding

If you’re someone looking to get ripped, you have to be aware of the risks that sore muscles, stiff back, and aching joints will bring. These are just some of the several complaints that bodybuilders express. However, you don’t have to suffer from any of these complications if take the right preventative actions.

Here is a guide on how you can reduce your chances of injury while you workout.

Bodybuilding can lead to many types of injury, including:
  • Tendonitis. Tendonitis happens when the tendon that connects the bone to muscle becomes inflamed.
  • Strain. A strain happens when you over-use or over-stretch a muscle.
  • Sprain. You can sprain a body part by over-stretching a ligament that connects two bones.
  • Bursitis. The bursa sac serves as a bad between parts of the body with a bony prominence and a muscle, such as your knee. Bursitis is when that area becomes inflamed.
  • Avulsion. An avulsion happens when a muscle is torn completely. It happens most commonly along the junction between the tendon and the muscle.
  • Contusion. A contusion is any bruising caused by an impact.
  • Fracture. A fracture is when there is a breakage of a bone. This break can be partial or complete or just from compression.
How to Prevent These Injuries
The motto “no pain, no gain” is false and helps normalize injury in the workout community. You should put preventing injury at the top of your list if you want to successfully become a bodybuilder.

Here are a few ways you can preemptively prevent injury:
  • Warm-Up. Don’t jump right into it. Start with 15 to 20 repetitions of the workout you’re planning to do but with light weights. You can also warm up by just increasing your heart rate by walking on a treadmill for 5 to 10 minutes before you get to your routine.
  • Stretch. Once you’ve warmed up, you want to ensure the muscles you’re about to use are properly prepared to work. Stretching properly involves taking the joint you’re using to the end of its range of motion and holding it for up to a minute.
  • Focus. The way to really injure yourself is by not paying attention. Keep your focus on the workout you’re doing. This will help you keep form and help you when you’re spotting a friend.
  • Diet. Eating the right meals, such as high protein foods, will help promote quicker recovery and help maintain muscle fiber.
  • Shoes. You can not wear sandals to the gym. Wearing open-toed shoes gives you no protection from falling plates, other people’s feet, or the edge of a machine. Wear stiff-soled shoes that are comfortable to maximize your efforts.
  • Wrapping. Wearing knee wraps when you’re doing heavy workouts, like squats. Wraps increase the pressure externally and distribute the strain from the workout to a larger area.
What to Do If You’re Injured
If you do happen to get injured here are a few of my recommendations to a speedy recovery:
  • Go to a doctor. If you get injured, you need to get to a doctor to determine the condition. At this myotherapy Melbourne clinic, doctors work on the soft tissue to help ease and discontinue pain so you get back in the gym at a faster time.
  • Remember PRICE. PRICE is what you should do following an injury:
  • You should focus on the protection of the area.
  • Rest the injury.
  • Ice your injury to limit inflammation and swelling.
  • Compression will also help you to decrease swelling.
  • Keep your injury elevated above your heart to decrease swelling and blood loss.
  • Use Common Sense. Know your limitations. If you’re able to keep working with a specific injury then don’t perform exercises that will exasperate your pain. Remember that missing one exercise or workout will not hurt your progress.
Wrap-Up
Bodybuilding is a wonderful way to exercise, but these issues can result in large scale injuries that cause you to lose the gains you’ve made. If you’re just starting out, keep it mild at first and increase your workload from there.

Thanks for posing. Warm up and stretching is so important.

This is a very good post and it's a good refresher..

I don't stretch as often as I used to but I do warm-up quite extensively.. sometimes my warm-up can be the equivalency of someone's workout.. and every single day there's certain cable extensions and other movements I do very lightweight just to protect my shoulders and whatnot..
Warming up for myself is extremely important. There's times I'm fully pumped and primed and I didn't even begin my session yet.

Back