• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 🩺Muscle Gelz® HUMANOGEN® - Powered by Ibutamoren® Increases Growth Hormone! (Transdermal - No Injecting!)🏥

Pain in collar bone after bench press?

My buddy, a power lifter, switched to bodybuilding. Three years later he had an x-ray reveal his clavicle in broken bits, left over from his PL days. I’d pay attention to that pain.
It only takes something like 7 pounds of downward force to break a clavicle.

Ouch! I don't think it's broke because it comes and goes. I typically use dumbbells but when I use a bar it hurts. Been ongoing for about a year.

I felt it a lot when I first started training, especially during decline. But havnt felt that pain in years.

How long have you been training? And do you feel it after you max out or going for reps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m get it literally every time I do any heavy incline presses or if the bar path is closer to my neck than normal. Try moving the bar to just below the nipple while you are doing your heavy pressing.

I've been training for 12 years. The pain just started about a year ago. Always keep the bar below nipples. Don't do incline with bar at all in the last year. Light weight or heavy weight doesn't make a difference.

Does it hurt at either one of the joints (acromioclavicular or sternoclavicular) or is it the actually clavicle? Or does it feel like it's on the inside of the clavicle?

It's the actual left clavicle. I had my a.c. joint repaired on my right shoulder years ago so I know what that feels like.
Gotcha. Could be your subclavius getting irritated for some reason. It attaches from the sternoclavicular joint to the backside of the clavicle. My dad actually tore his a while back and it is still bothering him when it gets irritated.

My buddy, a power lifter, switched to bodybuilding. Three years later he had an x-ray reveal his clavicle in broken bits, left over from his PL days. I’d pay attention to that pain.
It only takes something like 7 pounds of downward force to break a clavicle.
Ouch you ain't kidding and very smart idea for op to go see a doc. Myself I broke my left one when I was a little kid when I fell out of a tree, and it was not quite a direct hit on the shoulder when I hit the ground as I could not get up so crawled home. Now it gives me some shit years later as it feels like a spur digging under my delt when I bench.

It's the actual left clavicle. I had my a.c. joint repaired on my right shoulder years ago so I know what that feels like.
Gotcha. Could be your subclavius getting irritated for some reason. It attaches from the sternoclavicular joint to the backside of the clavicle. My dad actually tore his a while back and it is still bothering him when it gets irritated.

Back