• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Is deadlifting bad for bodybuilding?

9TMARE

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
IMG_6419.JPG
No, it is one of the best exercises you can do. It has too much benefits that you can’t ingore.

Some of these benefits are:

-Increased fat burning

There are multiple studies that link deadlifts with increased fat burning. In these studies they take a few people and they separate them in two groups, one group does deadlifts and the other doesn’t. The group that did deadlifts always lost more fat.

-Better Posture

Deadlifting increases your core strength and adds to core stability. Deadlifting targets all of the muscles responsible for your posture and enables you to keep your back straighter during regular daily activities.

-Increased strength in real life sutuations

When you do other lifting exercises, like a bench press, for example, you’re not doing anything you might really do in real life. When are you ever going to have the need to lay on your back and push something in the air — unless you’re giving your two-year-old “flying lessons.” The Deadlift develops the muscles you need to actually carry something, like a bucket of water, those heavy grocery bags or your neighbor’s dining room table.

-Increased Testosterone

By doing at least 8 to 10 repetitions of Deadlifts with significant weight, you can increase the amount of testosterone and growth hormone produced by your body.

Testosterone increases muscle growth and improves muscle repair while growth hormone, which is produced by your pituitary gland, promotes tissue healing, bone strength, muscle growth and fat loss.

-Prevents injury

The Deadlift can help prevent injuries by increasing the strength of your muscles around critical tendons and ligaments. Supporting joints with strong muscles is crucial to preventing injury, especially in the hamstrings and lower back.

Thanks for reading :)

Have a nice day!

Nikola Pejchinovski
Fitness and Healthcare Consultant.
IMG_6420.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I think deads off the floor are great as long as a person doesn't have a build that makes them really hard on the back. For me they are fine because of my short stubbly legs and gorilla arms

Yeah I think deads off the floor are great as long as a person doesn't have a build that makes them really hard on the back. For me they are fine because of my short stubbly legs and gorilla arms

Appreciate the insight! I think your right. I’m a little taller with long arms so at heavier weight I’m feeling it. There’s not really a way around it except if I use dumbbells or the hex bar where my hands are to the side.

As always: It depends.

DL can accumulate a lot of back (and general) fatigue and at a lot to the MRV. Especially "back depth" and traps are nice to target by dl. You do not really need to do them as heavy as a powerlifter but variations like deficit dl with a longer ROM/TUT can be beneficial if properly performed. RDLs for example are also good for biceps femoris.

So, if you can do them properly. Go for it. It will safe some time.

As always: It depends.

DL can accumulate a lot of back (and general) fatigue and at a lot to the MRV. Especially "back depth" and traps are nice to target by dl. You do not really need to do them as heavy as a powerlifter but variations like deficit dl with a longer ROM/TUT can be beneficial if properly performed. RDLs for example are also good for biceps femoris.

So, if you can do them properly. Go for it. It will safe some time.

Thank you!! Just what I needed to hear! Don’t need to go crazy ass heavy and there are different variations to get around it if you are having trouble or pain doing this lift.

You can always do rack pulls as well setting the bar about mid shin level. Another good alternative that helps you get that deadlift quality mass

View attachment 44840
No, it is one of the best exercises you can do. It has too much benefits that you can’t ingore.

Some of these benefits are:

-Increased fat burning

There are multiple studies that link deadlifts with increased fat burning. In these studies they take a few people and they separate them in two groups, one group does deadlifts and the other doesn’t. The group that did deadlifts always lost more fat.

-Better Posture

Deadlifting increases your core strength and adds to core stability. Deadlifting targets all of the muscles responsible for your posture and enables you to keep your back straighter during regular daily activities.

-Increased strength in real life sutuations

When you do other lifting exercises, like a bench press, for example, you’re not doing anything you might really do in real life. When are you ever going to have the need to lay on your back and push something in the air — unless you’re giving your two-year-old “flying lessons.” The Deadlift develops the muscles you need to actually carry something, like a bucket of water, those heavy grocery bags or your neighbor’s dining room table.

-Increased Testosterone

By doing at least 8 to 10 repetitions of Deadlifts with significant weight, you can increase the amount of testosterone and growth hormone produced by your body.

Testosterone increases muscle growth and improves muscle repair while growth hormone, which is produced by your pituitary gland, promotes tissue healing, bone strength, muscle growth and fat loss.

-Prevents injury

The Deadlift can help prevent injuries by increasing the strength of your muscles around critical tendons and ligaments. Supporting joints with strong muscles is crucial to preventing injury, especially in the hamstrings and lower back.

Thanks for reading :)

Have a nice day!

Nikola Pejchinovski
Fitness and Healthcare Consultant.
View attachment 44841

Awsome bro love deads...course i dont go much more 2 plate these days slow and no dropping rep it out ....

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Deadlifting is a great all around mass builder. A lot of people are unable to do them because of injury. There are a lot of variations that can be performed if the regular style is not an option

Max

I think dead’s off the floor risk/reward for a bodybuilder just is not worth, on top of destroying your CNS.

Deads rape my lower back no matter what I do. I still haven't given up on them cuz I'm a stubborn fuck but seriously. I think it's the way my body is designed.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

IML Gear Cream!
You can always do rack pulls as well setting the bar about mid shin level. Another good alternative that helps you get that deadlift quality mass

Very nice! Would you consider this a “safer” alternative to those struggling with lower back issues? I feel like you can really drive hard at the top of the lift when it’s racked like you mentioned.

I Fn love deads!!!

Sent from my LG-Q710PL using Tapatalk

Awsome bro love deads...course i dont go much more 2 plate these days slow and no dropping rep it out ....

I was doing some lighter weight DLifts with the wife the other day just going till I couldn’t go anymore and it felt great actually! So this I agree is very nice

I was doing some lighter weight DLifts with the wife the other day just going till I couldn’t go anymore and it felt great actually! So this I agree is very nice
Yeah fuck pulling 4 or 5 plates...i go light try and hit the back good 220 max good enough for me

Deadlifting is a great all around mass builder. A lot of people are unable to do them because of injury. There are a lot of variations that can be performed if the regular style is not an option

Max
I have been trying to work around the normal variation for a while now. Angle, grip, dumbbells, kettlebell, stance, cables... so many to choose from. So far as long as there is no weight in front of my body pulling up I can survive another day.

Couldn’t agree more. I love rack pulls. A great mass builder that’s easier on the lower back.

I think dead’s off the floor risk/reward for a bodybuilder just is not worth, on top of destroying your CNS.

Yes sir! I did it before a long time ago and guess what? I feel it every time if I do any hamstring exercise not as controlled as I’d like or too much weight. It’s hard when your blasting and want to get crazy lol

Deads rape my lower back no matter what I do. I still haven't given up on them cuz I'm a stubborn fuck but seriously. I think it's the way my body is designed.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
I know man it’s super hard to just stay away. I feel like my hams are neglected if I don’t do dead’s or any variation of them.

If I could change one thing from 8 years ago when i started training it would be to replace deads with cleans, or clean and jerks.. or just never even bothered with them at all.The amount of setup and experience it takes to make sure you're spine is positioned right to perform a dead makes the Risk/Reward not worth it. I had surgery for a herniated disk about a month ago and I attribute much of the damage caused directly from deads.

As a bodybuilder I don't believe they're worth it at all.

Last edited:
Get Shredded!
No it's not a movement I would recommend for a bodybuilder, stiff legged dead lifts yes.

Back