• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

10 Best Protein Bars Out Now (2019)

Arnold

Numero Uno
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
10 Best Protein Bars Out Now (2019)

Find out which ones made the list!

Protein bars are a very useful nutritional tool which offers an effective amount of protein in a small package (literally).

The convenience and nutritional value are what make these bars attractive, not to mention, some taste indistinguishable from your typical, delectable treat. Protein is a must in every healthy diet but ensuring adequate daily intake is non-negotiable if you plan to maximize your muscle gains.

So, supplementing this macronutrient is a great way to meet your needs. But keep in mind, quality can vary greatly between the many protein bar options on the market.

So, we’ve put together some viable, quality options with several different price ranges to make the process more stress-free on your end.

Why Is Protein So Important?

Protein is a macronutrient which must be consumed in larger quantities because it’s a vital source for body tissue health (muscle, nails, and skin), repair, metabolism, and other numerous bodily processes. (1)

When we weight train, muscle tissue breaks down and protein is needed to re-build the tissue while carbs and fats (other macronutrients) are used for energy. And protein (mainly animal-based) also naturally supplies all nine essential amino acids which are building blocks of protein. (2, 3)

But to get adequate amounts of all nine amino acids from plant-based sources, you’d have to eat several different food sources to avoid deficiencies. And although soy is said to be a complete source, two of the essential amino acids are found in small amounts. (3, 4)

So it’s important to make sure you’re getting a complete serving of protein to maintain nutritional adequacy.

Check Out These Top Protein Bars…

1. Detour Lean Muscle Protein Bar

Detour Lean Muscle bars are a hefty nutritional option for not only supplying your protein needs but the number of calories (370 per bar) makes for a meal option too.

There are a few different sources of fast-digesting, quality protein which includes whey concentrate; whey protein crisps, whey protein isolate, and hydrolyzed whey protein.

Fast-digesting protein is very beneficial for maximizing muscle protein synthesis (MPS) relatively quickly and even has an advantage over slower-digesting proteins for initial MPS. So, it’s a very ideal source of post-exercise nutrition, although, it’s an appropriate option for any time of the day. (3)

One protein bar contains the following nutritional information… 370 calories, 12g of fat, 20mg (7%) cholesterol, 460mg (19%) sodium, 33g (11%) carbs, 3g fiber, 3g sugar, 27g sugar alcohol, and 32 grams of protein. Cookie pieces and protein crisps are added for a crunchy texture.

Each serving also includes a decent percentage of 21 vitamins and minerals (not all) so it’s a great option for a meal replacement. Not to mention, the macronutrient profile is acceptable for a meal replacement.

However, we recommended against swapping out most of your meals with a protein bar.

Another notable ingredient is the omega-3 fatty acids (1,000mg) which are an important nutrient for promoting heart health and maintaining healthy cell membranes.

Note: This is not a minimal-ingredient protein bar so it’s advised to read the label for any additional ingredients which you may not agree with. Each flavor option may vary slightly in its nutritional value.

2. Quest Nutrition Protein Bar

Quest Nutrition bars are undoubtedly the most popular among the fitness crowd. There are numerous flavor options and each bar contains 20+ grams of protein, a healthy dose of fiber for aiding in digestion and there are no added sugars either.

So, it’s no wonder these protein-packed treats are always in the discussion for the best protein bars. Although, they will soon be acquired Simply Good Food Co. and we hope the quality remains the same.

The protein contents are made from milk protein isolate and whey protein isolate. A few of the other notable ingredients include almonds, natural flavors, natural colors from plant-based superfoods and sucralose.

One protein bar contains the following nutritional information… 180 calories, 6g of fat, 5mg (2%) cholesterol, 220mg (10%) sodium, 24g (9%) carbs, 14g fiber, <1g sugar, 6g erythritol, and 21 grams of protein. Vitamins and minerals are minimal (calcium (8%), iron (2%), and potassium (2%)).

Note: This is not a minimal-ingredient protein bar so it’s advised to read the label for any additional ingredients which you may not agree with. Each flavor option may vary slightly in its nutritional value.

3. Pure Protein Bar

Pure Protein bars are a good option for convenient protein on-the-go (or at home). These treats aren’t anything fancy but where they shine is in their value. Quality protein at a reasonable price point is hard to beat.

The protein formula is a combination of milk protein isolate, whey protein concentrate, and whey protein isolate.

One protein bar contains the following nutritional information… 190 calories, 6g of fat, 15mg (5%) cholesterol, 180mg (8%) sodium, 17g (6%) carbs, <1g fiber, 2g sugar (8g sugar alcohols), and 20 grams of protein. There are very small amounts of calcium and iron so the bars are not nutritionally complete. But Pure Protein has placed more of a focus on the “protein contents” to make them a simple option for getting adequate protein intake.

A few of the main additional ingredients include cocoa, natural flavors, soy lecithin, sucralose, hydrolyzed collagen, peanuts, soy crisps (soy protein isolate), and almond butter.

4. GoMacro MACROBAR

The name “Macrobars” is pretty reflective of what the product offers… and it’s obvious that the focus is on providing a healthy supply of macronutrients. These delicious bars are organic vegan-friendly options made from clean ingredients.

The protein is plant-based (organic sprouted brown rice protein, organic pea protein) from sufficient sources and the powder is naturally sweetened with brown rice syrup which is also used for binding the ingredients together.

Brown rice syrup is higher on the glycemic index (GI) scale than most sweeteners and it will cause a spike in blood sugar, so just be aware if you suffer from blood sugar issues. (5)

The additional ingredients include organic peanut butter, organic puffed brown rice, organic fair-trade chocolate chips (organic coconut sugar, organic cocoa, organic cocoa butter), and organic peanuts.

One protein bar contains the following nutritional information… 290 calories, 11g of fat, 0mg cholesterol, 40mg (2%) sodium, 37g (12%) carbs, 2g (8%) fiber, 14g sugar (8g sugar alcohols), and 20 grams of protein. Vitamins and minerals are minimal with 6% calcium and 10% iron.

5. Epic Protein Bars

These protein bars are a little different from what most people are used to when it comes to protein supplement snacking.

The bar is made from uncured bacon (no nitrites or nitrates) salt, vinegar, and celery powder. And there are no artificial ingredients.

One protein bar contains the following nutritional information… 150 calories, 10g of fat, 25mg (8%) cholesterol, 590mg (25%) sodium, 7g (2%) carbs, <1g (2%) fiber, 5g sugar, and 8 grams of protein.

So, if you’re the type who prefers meat as a protein source then you’ll really enjoy an Epic bar.

6. Rise Bar

Ok, if you really desire to have a minimal-ingredient protein bar, then look no further.

Now, the Rise bar will vary in the number of ingredients (3-5) depending on the flavor. But the almond honey has only three ingredients which are almonds, honey, whey protein isolate. There are no hidden ingredients and the whey protein is very high-quality.

One protein bar contains the following nutritional information… 280 calories, 16g (25%) of fat, 0mg cholesterol, 25mg (1%) sodium, 20g (7%) carbs, 4g fiber, 13g sugar, and 20 grams of protein. Vitamins and minerals are low at 15% calcium and 6% iron.

There is no soy or artificial sweeteners.

7. Optimum Nutrition Opti-Bar

Optimum Nutrition is known for making amazing protein powders but they also make some pretty darn good protein bars.

Milk protein isolate and whey protein isolate are the protein sources, plus, natural flavor is used along with sucralose and stevia for sweetness.

One protein bar contains the following nutritional information… 250 calories, 9g (14%) of fat, 5mg (2%) cholesterol, 170mg (7%) sodium, 20g (7%) carbs, 10g fiber, 1g sugar, and 20 grams of protein. 8% calcium and 4% iron.

8. Met-RX Big 100 Colossal Bar

Met-RX Big 100 Colossal bar is made for the hardcore snacker who needs the extra calories but it’s a good source of protein to support your hard work in the gym.

The protein sources include a combination of fast and slow-digesting forms which include soy protein isolate, whey protein isolate, casein, soy protein isolate, hydrolyzed whey protein isolate, and egg white. Slower-digesting proteins are more beneficial for maintaining prolonged periods of protein synthesis.

One protein bar contains the following nutritional information… 410 calories, 12g (14%) of fat, 0mg cholesterol, 510mg (21%) sodium, 47g (16%) carbs, 3g fiber, 30g sugar, and 20 grams of protein.

A serving supplies healthy amounts of vitamins and minerals, although there’s no Vitamin D, or K. But, there’s a sufficient amount to where a bar could be a viable meal replacement option. However, not for the majority of meals.

There are corn syrups and added sugars in this formula if a concern.

9. MusclePharm Combat Crunch Protein Bar

Musclepharm protein bars are popular and one of the tastier options but these bars do provide a good source of the muscle-building nutrient (protein).

The protein forms are whey protein isolate and milk protein isolate and the main additional ingredients include prebiotic fiber, peanuts, sugar, and maltitol.

One protein bar contains the following nutritional information… 210 calories, 7g (11%) of fat, 40mg (13%) cholesterol, 460mg (19%) sodium, 28g (9%) carbs, 12g fiber, 5g sugar, and 20 grams of protein. The only significant mineral to note is calcium (22%).

10. Grenade Nutrition Carb Killa Protein Bar

There’s no denying that the ‘Carb Killa’ protein bar is a fan favorite and it just sounds cool! MusclePharm is a European company which ensures quality in each bar by using sustainable ingredients.

The protein in each ‘carb killa’ bar is from calcium caseinate (milk), milk protein isolate, and whey protein isolate.

One 60 gram bar has 215 calories, 8.1g of fat, 5mg cholesterol, 150mg sodium (6%), 21g (7%) carbs, 6g (24%) fiber, 2g sugar, and 22 grams (44%) of protein.

Additional ingredients include maltitol, soy protein, soy oil, sucralose, natural flavor, and vanilla powder.

Sweeteners used are xylitol and sucralose.

That’s a Wrap

Protein bars a very beneficial nutritional aid when it comes to getting enough of the macronutrient responsible for muscle growth. Sometimes it’s just hard to meet your daily protein amount and food isn’t always an option.

So, we’ve given you some great options which are not only tastes pretty good (subjective opinion for most consumers) but that will ensure you’re always feeding your muscles.

Now, as you can probably tell, the bars vary in what they have to offer. Some are more conducive to the individual who desires to lose weight. But, if you’re trying to bulk up, then some of these protein bars are the perfect solution to helping you maintain a caloric surplus.

Some contain a good amount of micronutrients like vitamins and minerals but others don’t. So, there’s no one best bar for every situation. You have to decide which option/s would be best for your goals and lifestyle!

References:
1-Reference, Genetics Home. “What are proteins and what do they do?”. Genetics Home
2-“How Do Muscles Grow?”. www.unm.edu.
3-Hoffman, Jay R.; Falvo, Michael J. (September 1, 2004). “Protein – Which is Best?”. Journal of Sports Science & Medicine. 3 (3): 118–130. ISSN 1303-2968. PMC 3905294. PMID 24482589.
4-Friedman, M.; Brandon, D. L. (2001-3). “Nutritional and health benefits of soy proteins”. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 49 (3): 1069–1086. doi:10.1021/jf0009246. ISSN 0021-8561. PMID 11312815.
5-“GI Database”. www.glycemicindex.com.

That covered the ones I like! Ooh Yeah!!! are great tasting as well

Max

0b4b274f6421112132b99220824991b4.jpg
These aren’t bad. Refrigerated cookies!

Max

I have Quest, Opti, Combat, and Carb Killas on hand lol. I stock up every time they're less than $1.00/bar and just freeze them. Easy to grab in a pinch.

I have Quest, Opti, Combat, and Carb Killas on hand lol. I stock up every time they're less than $1.00/bar and just freeze them. Easy to grab in a pinch.

Yeah, Quest is really making a lot of new products for easy quick bites!

Max

Protein bars are complete garbage, unless they are made with whole foods only. Your body doesn't break them down and most have glycerin in them

Protein bars are complete garbage, unless they are made with whole foods only. Your body doesn't break them down and most have glycerin in them

Are these okay?
c46523cd7cde5c573bfc3993060a5e0c.jpg
3239a2ce113dca2f061e01e88d5ca91e.jpg
Havent tried them yet.

Max

Taste great but I usually avoid the sugar. Dates are like a ball of brown sugar.

Taste great but I usually avoid the sugar. Dates are like a ball of brown sugar.

They used to have these Date Shakes out in the California Desert! They were so good! Very sweet!

Max

IML Gear Cream!
Are these okay?
Havent tried them yet.

Max
My Costco used to sell these. My favourite was the sea salt. Once I got hooked on them, Costco stopped carrying them. I swear they do this shit intentionally, just to piss me off

I Didn't Choose the Swolle Life, The Swolle Life Chose Me

My Costco used to sell these. My favourite was the sea salt. Once I got hooked on them, Costco stopped carrying them. I swear they do this shit intentionally, just to piss me off

They look super healthy with all Whole Foods presses into a bar. Gonna try a box out today. I’ll look for the sea salt flavor. I’m a sucker for chocolate and sea salt’

Max

They look super healthy with all Whole Foods presses into a bar. Gonna try a box out today. I’ll look for the sea salt flavor. I’m a sucker for chocolate and sea salt’

Max
Yup, they make a great little snack when you're on the go. And they're BS free, what else could you ask for, lol

I like a lot of those in the list for sure. I've been eating the Redcon1 bars as well. They're pricy but they have the best flavors I think.

Are these okay?
Havent tried them yet.

Max

I know redcon1 and mts makes one that are made from whole foods. I've had samples of both and they are good. They are high in fat due to the ingredients.

Don't get me wrong quest bars are good. Ooh snap are off the hook. Vanilla marshmallow is amazing. Walmart just started carrying them

The list goes on. I go to the Arnold Classic every year, so I have tried tons of samples and got a Europa pass for all kinds of stuff lol

What I have found, most of them that taste amazing are 400 calories lol. Fit crunch pb & j and the jelly donut one by metrx is really good, but again 400 calories

I have tried rx sample and I can't remember which one I liked. I believe there high in sugar

They came out with an almond butter and pb. Walmart sells them. They have samples you can buy. I have tried the vanilla almond butter and the honey cinnamon pb. Both are good and no added sugars

I know redcon1 and mts makes one that are made from whole foods. I've had samples of both and they are good. They are high in fat due to the ingredients.

Don't get me wrong quest bars are good. Ooh snap are off the hook. Vanilla marshmallow is amazing. Walmart just started carrying them

The list goes on. I go to the Arnold Classic every year, so I have tried tons of samples and got a Europa pass for all kinds of stuff lol

What I have found, most of them that taste amazing are 400 calories lol. Fit crunch pb & j and the jelly donut one by metrx is really good, but again 400 calories

I have tried rx sample and I can't remember which one I liked. I believe there high in sugar

They came out with an almond butter and pb. Walmart sells them. They have samples you can buy. I have tried the vanilla almond butter and the honey cinnamon pb. Both are good and no added sugars

Appreciate it. I haven’t tried some of the newer ones. I definitely like the whole food part.

Max

As far as how the body breaks them down, without any scientific studies we cannot faithfully embrace a blanket statement like, "our bodies don't break them down because they're not whole food." That's like saying, "You can't eat potatoes because my body doesn't break them down due to a food intolerance." It's individual. Some people can eat certain things and make use of them, others can't. However, I will agree with joos23 if what he was trying to iterate is the fact that many have digestive distress when trying to break down sugar alcohols. There are actual studies to back this. I digest most bars well and they're cost effective when on sale. Are there better options out there? Sure. But I'm not currently in prep so I'm not going to sweat the small stuff :)

Back