• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Newbie out of hibernation. Trying to change my life.

bigbear

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
New to the forums, and fairly new to lifting. Only been hitting the gym seriously for about a year and a half now. Got REALLY fat in the past 6 years and looking to get back in shape. 5'9", 300 lbs. I'm broad shouldered, thick legged, and have been powerlifting to get in shape, because fuck cardio.

But after a year and a half and only loosing 12 lbs and 2" from my waistline, I figure that I need to start looking for more help. Diet advise, workout advice (toss in some body building accessory work?), and, yes, looking into adding some gear to it all as well. I've heard that test and others help to loose fat while build muscle (with a good diet, of course). While getting big and playing on my naturally stocky build is the main goal, I also REALLY need to loose 60+ lbs of fat as well. I don't care what I weigh so long as it's muscle, not fat.

Long story short, I welcome any advise on how to get it all done. How to get some serious bulk muscle, how to loose a good deal of this useless fat on my ass and gut, fully fleshed out meal plans to follow, and how to set up my first cycle on gear.

Welcome to the fam bro.

I would say the best thing you could do is probably hire a coach to get started on the right diet and training program to lose weight

Going to a powerlifting gym now, where the coaches make workouts for everyone. They use the Conjugate method there. That's been helping me A LOT on figuring out the workout agile. But I need to ask about adding on accessory work to define muscle as well (and generally burn more calories).

Dieting is my biggest crutch. It's hard for me to find simple, easy meal plans that spell out EVERYTHING to eat and include foods that A.) I actually want to eat, and B.) can cook/prepare easily enough. I don't want infinitely repetitive or bland, but I don't want to cook something complicated every night either. I've already been cutting out pop from most (not all) of my diet. I guess I'm wondering where I can get a literal, "Eat these exact things, but here are alternate options is that one particular meal doesn't work" plans. If you have any powerlifting/body builder meal plan that I can follow, I'd appreciate the advice.

As rehh said. You will get the exact dietary needs through an online paid coach. Sure, you can find basic plans online, but if you want specifics tailored to you then hiring and working with a coach is the way to go.

That being said, there are a couple good choices for coaching right here on this forum. Spend some time and dig around, check out the sponsored and unsponsored logs section here, it won't take you long to figure out who can help you with your needs.

Welcome to asf.

Last edited:
I've been REALLY cutting back on sugary drinks. At this point, the occasional pop or fruit juice or chocolate milk (no coffee). Like once every week. Mostly water right now. That's only one change that I've needed to make. I'm also a zombie in the morning and really bad at remembering repacked lunches. So I usually eat fast food for lunch. Even watching calories (since they are posted with the orders), it's still eating greasy, shitty food. Hence why I'm trying to get advice on what to cook and eat, and then hopefully get into a habit of actually bringing it now that my new job starts later than than old one. Maybe I won't be quite the zombie.

I've done calorie counting for a year. Limited what I ate to 2440, as calculated by myfitnesspal.com. I know it's not perfect, but it gives me ranges to hit and approximate calories. I lost only 16 lbs at the most and 1.5 sizes off my waist. That's while wait lifting for 1.5-2 hours 3x a week. In a YEAR. Somehow other people are loosing 40+ lbs in that same time period working out about the same amounts of time. So something needs to change beyond JUST calorie counting. One reason why I'm trying to take a look at specific meals to eat. I also probably need to get testing done on my hormones as well, just to check and see if anything's out of wack.

Diet should be your number one concern right now. Forget the gear right now. I would talk to Montego1 he can help you get dialed in. Welcome by the way.

I've done calorie counting for a year. Limited what I ate to 2440, as calculated by myfitnesspal.com. I know it's not perfect, but it gives me ranges to hit and approximate calories. I lost only 16 lbs at the most and 1.5 sizes off my waist. That's while wait lifting for 1.5-2 hours 3x a week. In a YEAR.

What were your macros (protein, fats, carbohydrates)? It would be great if you are eating that 2400 calories with 200 grams or more of protein included.

You should post up your sample daily diet (write down everything you eat and drink today and post it) and goal (cutting fat) in the diet section. http://www.anabolicsteroidforums.com/forumdisplay.php/36-Diet-Nutrition

I use MyFitnessPal, but only for tracking. That is, I do not follow it's recommendations at all. I think the recommendations it gives are whacked. But for tracking, it is great.

The reality is that you need to create a deficit. If your foods are relatively clean (eating things like eggs, oats, meat (real, not deli or fried or fast food) rice potato sweet potato, broccoli, asparagus, spinach) 2400 calories ought to get you there. If you do not see movement after a week or two, then drop to 2100, or, better yet, do the dreaded word, the one that strikes fear into the heart of powerlifters everywhere, "Cardio, WTF is that, Spanish?"

Burn at least 2100 calories a week on cardio, fasted in the am if possible, but whenever you can fit it in if not possible. Then see how your weight does in two weeks. If still there is no progress, keep up the cardio and pull out some more calories.

Are you natty or hormonally enhanced?

Suggestion: One very easy way to strip weight fast is to carb cycle. If you have any self control, the lowest carb days will pull weight off you like crazy, and fast.

Last edited:
\I've already been cutting out pop from most (not all) of my diet.
Damn. SMH. Come on, bigbear. Stop that shit.
I guess I'm wondering where I can get a literal, "Eat these exact things, but here are alternate options is that one particular meal doesn't work" plans. If you have any powerlifting/body builder meal plan that I can follow, I'd appreciate the advice.
. Read through some of the logs where folks post what they are eating. Look through the Diet section as well, as there is a lot of discussion there that might have the specifics you are seeking. http://www.anabolicsteroidforums.com/forumdisplay.php/36-Diet-Nutrition

IML Gear Cream!
Welcome............................My .02 is head over to a book store and grab a few nutrition books......I did this 25 years ago and it changed my life...As I read I made notes about things I needed to change...I became informed but mostly educated...Knowledge is everything...No BS ,,,you have got some work ahead of you...but if you really deep down want it...you will do whatever it takes...Again Welcome...........

You're getting great advice already especially from Mal.

Props to you for posting the gritty details and taking the lumps here... that's the biggest step most of us had to take (in this forum). That, and self-pinning of course.

I've been REALLY cutting back on sugary drinks. At this point, the occasional pop or fruit juice or chocolate milk (no coffee). Like once every week. Mostly water right now. That's only one change that I've needed to make. I'm also a zombie in the morning and really bad at remembering repacked lunches. So I usually eat fast food for lunch. Even watching calories (since they are posted with the orders), it's still eating greasy, shitty food. Hence why I'm trying to get advice on what to cook and eat, and then hopefully get into a habit of actually bringing it now that my new job starts later than than old one. Maybe I won't be quite the zombie.

I've done calorie counting for a year. Limited what I ate to 2440, as calculated by myfitnesspal.com. I know it's not perfect, but it gives me ranges to hit and approximate calories. I lost only 16 lbs at the most and 1.5 sizes off my waist. That's while wait lifting for 1.5-2 hours 3x a week. In a YEAR. Somehow other people are loosing 40+ lbs in that same time period working out about the same amounts of time. So something needs to change beyond JUST calorie counting. One reason why I'm trying to take a look at specific meals to eat. I also probably need to get testing done on my hormones as well, just to check and see if anything's out of wack.

"A calorie is not a calorie." Remember that when you hear the usual, opposite statement. Even in this forum where calories are counted in all diets, there's a tacit admission that that's radically over-simplified -- notice the immediate focus on macros. Getting all your calories from carbs is massively different than from protein and your body and energy level will show it. If a calorie were just a calorie, that wouldn't be true. And that right there is the reason most classical nutrition advice over the last 75 years is horseshit.

Read this book:

https://smile.amazon.com/Why-We-Get-Fat-About/dp/0307474259/ref=sr_1_1

It rips apart that classical "wisdom" and digs into the biochemistry (with insulin at center stage) of why protein, fats, and carbs behave differently. It's a long read but worth progressing through as you're changing your diet. It'll help make all the science stick.

Grats on cutting sugar drinks. That may be half the body fat battle right there. But I'd cut it down to just one day a week (Cheat Day) if you can, and buy NOTHING for the house. No sugar drinks at all at home. They're just too easy and addictive. I'm a lifelong sugar addict so I feel your pain.

Fast food mostly sucks but, if unavoidable, you can still find things relatively healthy. The grease is probably the least concern item... it's the carbs in the refined flour buns and the soft drinks that are the killer. And the lack of fiber. If you buy a salad or bean-based soup, you can fix that. And fried chicken is much healthier than we've been told -- saturated fat by itself may not be unhealthy at all, it turns out, tho frying those fats may have some negative impact. It's the breading on the chicken that is likely the worst part of the meal. Popeye's used to have "naked" chicken strips which were awesome and relatively healthy but they discontinued em for some odd reason.

I'm curious, is there a reason you're avoiding coffee? It has lots of benefits and ought to help with morning zombieness.

Last edited:
You're getting great advice already especially from Mal.

Props to you for posting the gritty details and taking the lumps here... that's the biggest step most of us had to take (in this forum). That, and self-pinning of course.

"A calorie is not a calorie." Remember that when you hear the usual, opposite statement. Even in this forum where calories are counted in all diets, there's a tacit admission that that's radically over-simplified -- notice the immediate focus on macros. Getting all your calories from carbs is massively different than from protein and your body and energy level will show it. If a calorie were just a calorie, that wouldn't be true. And that right there is the reason most classical nutrition advice over the last 75 years is horseshit.

Read this book:

https://smile.amazon.com/Why-We-Get-Fat-About/dp/0307474259/ref=sr_1_1

It rips apart that classical "wisdom" and digs into the biochemistry (with insulin at center stage) of why protein, fats, and carbs behave differently. It's a long read but worth progressing through as you're changing your diet. It'll help make all the science stick.

Grats on cutting sugar drinks. That may be half the body fat battle right there. But I'd cut it down to just one day a week (Cheat Day) if you can, and buy NOTHING for the house. No sugar drinks at all at home. They're just too easy and addictive. I'm a lifelong sugar addict so I feel your pain.

Fast food mostly sucks but, if unavoidable, you can still find things relatively healthy. The grease is probably the least concern item... it's the carbs in the refined flour buns and the soft drinks that are the killer. And the lack of fiber. If you buy a salad or bean-based soup, you can fix that. And fried chicken is much healthier than we've been told -- saturated fat by itself may not be unhealthy at all, it turns out, tho frying those fats may have some negative impact. It's the breading on the chicken that is likely the worst part of the meal. Popeye's used to have "naked" chicken strips which were awesome and relatively healthy but they discontinued em for some odd reason.

I'm curious, is there a reason you're avoiding coffee? It has lots of benefits and ought to help with morning zombieness.

Yeah, I definitely know a calorie isn't a calorie. Otherwise just cutting down would help. Sadly, it hasn't. That's why I'm hoping for advice and a PRACTICAL example with a plan made out, not just "here's general ideas." All theory and no real examples just gets me lost in the sauce. I'll look into the book. Hopefully it'll help. I don't drink coffee simply because I don't like it. No other reason.

I'm not on any gear yet. Don't plan on getting on it for a bit. I want to figure out dieting first, get accustom to it, see results, and then start figuring out what gear to use. I'm not in a hurry. And I know it'll take YEARS to change from a fat slob to a respectable mound of muscle. No amount of gear can fix habitual fatass on it's own. It's going to take even more work at the gym, and a concerted effort on my meal choices. I'm not looking for a "magic pill."

But yeah. Once I start getting weight under control and progressing towards how I want to be, I definitely want to try some and see how it can help. I don't mind "cheating" at all. This is all about me, for me, and becoming something more that I'm willing to work towards becoming. Gear's just an aid to help make all the other work potentially pay off faster.

:funny:I still remember working up the courage to do that first shot, hand shaking . . .

Ha! Shaking like a leaf, 20 minutes of zero progress. That's basically all of us here... we used to have some awesome threads on the subject and plenty of stories.

And it turns out most of us were using the same instructional YouTube vid made by an uber-calm 14-yr-old female (doing an FTM trans change) showing us what a bunch of pussies we were. And she actually had one, and wasn't.

Yeah, I definitely know a calorie isn't a calorie. Otherwise just cutting down would help. Sadly, it hasn't. That's why I'm hoping for advice and a PRACTICAL example with a plan made out, not just "here's general ideas." All theory and no real examples just gets me lost in the sauce. I'll look into the book. Hopefully it'll help. I don't drink coffee simply because I don't like it. No other reason.

I'm not on any gear yet. Don't plan on getting on it for a bit. I want to figure out dieting first, get accustom to it, see results, and then start figuring out what gear to use. I'm not in a hurry. And I know it'll take YEARS to change from a fat slob to a respectable mound of muscle. No amount of gear can fix habitual fatass on it's own. It's going to take even more work at the gym, and a concerted effort on my meal choices. I'm not looking for a "magic pill."

But yeah. Once I start getting weight under control and progressing towards how I want to be, I definitely want to try some and see how it can help. I don't mind "cheating" at all. This is all about me, for me, and becoming something more that I'm willing to work towards becoming. Gear's just an aid to help make all the other work potentially pay off faster.

You definitely got the right attitude. That's the winner.

I got mixed feelings about gear helping out before a person is "properly ready". The gung-ho energy boost and muscle building can be such a HUGE advantage that it might cut down a getting in shape process by months or even years. Even just a strong TRT to 1,200 or 1,500 ng/dl could be a miraculous game changer, depends on your current biology. On the other hand caution is wise too.

Consider getting bloods. A male hormone panel that also includes thyroid markers would be ideal. A doc might well do it for you then you don't need any out-of-pocket labsmd.com expenses.

Last edited:
My 1st shot...............bathroom was a crime scene !!

bigbear, whatever you do, get the diet straight before you go on.

Suggestion: Post what you eat and drink in a day (honestly) and let us comment. It'll be a little rough, but that is how I learned. You seem like you can take it, and you appear to be honest with no need to pose on this forum, so this could be very helpful for you.

I'm going on vacation in 3 hours, so I won't post meals then. It wouldn't be accurate to a "normal" day for me anyways. I'll try Monday or Tuesday next week. And yeah, I know my diet's shit. Known it for a long time. I can take people going, "Wow! No wonder why you're not loosing weight. You eat like shit."

When, typically, is a good time to start on gear? I know that there's no "ideal" time, but one general guideline I've heard in the past is after you've been consistently going to the gym for 2 years. In part as a way to make sure that you aren't going to waste it by being a flake that goes for 2 months and quits. And in part because it helps get your body developed and used to physical activity so that you know how it operates and it's likely to handle the boost instead of get system shock.

Do I just ask my doc for a male hormone panel? What excuse do I give? I have a feeling saying, "So that I can better manage my hormones while I take unprescribed steroids" will go over well with him. He's also the doctor for pretty much my extended family, so I'd really rather not have him know about this. Should I go to a separate male clinic instead and work through them? I believe that there's a clinic that does testosterone replace therapy in my city. Would they be a better starting point to check hormone levels and everything first?

Whether you go to your doc or a trt clinic, all you have to do is say you don't feel like your old self...less energy, low libido, etc. They shouldn't have any problem doing labwork to check your natural test level.

Get Shredded!
Alright. Theres a lot of good advice here. I see that you're ready and willing to get this show on the road. You know you need to cut out the crap first off. Can you have sauces on your food? Yeah. Just make sure they're limited in quantity and aren't pure crap like most are. Soda? You have to drop that and any other sugary drinks or you will never make progress.

There's a couple of points that need to be made here though. Please don't take any offense because none is meant...

1) There is no cookie cutter plan that's going to fit you perfectly. Long term fat loss requires adjustments in diet and cardio to sustain.

2) You have to do cardio. Period. Quit being a pussy about cardio and go sweat. It'll accelerate the unfatting process substantially

3) No one is going to put together a customized meal plan on a silver platter for you for free. It takes too much time to calculate all the macros in each meal and put it all together to do for free. However, some guys will do things like a one-time meal plan and a follow up for a reasonable price. If I had nothing better to do I would do it for you, but I work stupid hours and lift, do cardio, meal prep, and still have to spend time with family, like everyone else here. I will however post up my current diet for you to work with. You just need to adjust the amounts to fit your lean mass. Which brings us to

4) You need to know exactly how much lean mass you actually have to create a base diet. There's two accurate options, bodpod or dexa scan. Dexa I think is the better of the two, but is more expensive. My thought is this - you think you have 60lb to lose. @ 300lb that would be 240 at a decent bodyfat. Leaving you with maybe 220lbm...which at 5'9" would be pretty big. You could very well be there but who knows.

5) As others have said, hiring a good coach is your single best option. I would recommend Montego1 or tren2k14 on here since I know both are good.

6) You may have low testosterone or an underactive thyroid, which would cause issues with fat loss. Your best bet on this front is too get lab work done to check total and free testosterone, estradiol, SHBG, FSH, LH, free t3 t4, tsh, t3 uptake. Then put it up here and there's plenty of us that will help out.

I'll post up my current diet in a minute for reference

Whether you go to your doc or a trt clinic, all you have to do is say you don't feel like your old self...less energy, low libido, etc. They shouldn't have any problem doing labwork to check your natural test level.
Yeah this, or get tests done from labsmd.com or privatemdlabs.com.

I quit playing the TRT game because the VA kept dicking me around. I opted to go the self administered route so I can blast and cruise whenever I please

Yeah this, or get tests done from labsmd.com or privatemdlabs.com.

I quit playing the TRT game because the VA kept dicking me around. I opted to go the self administered route so I can blast and cruise whenever I please

Yep. I got tired of that game too.

But...more than likely, insurance will cover the initial visit and prescription with doc (not as likely with trt clinic since they like to do the monthly fee thing). *SO* if you do have low test levels, you will know and have solid medical advice for a starting point. If your test level is low and you get on trt, you will be amazed at how much you can progress with just that alone. But be prepared to fight to get your test level up to the 800-1100 range. Some doctors are happy once they get you to 300-500 and that's not enough. Shots should weekly, don't let them put you on biweekly.

Yep. I got tired of that game too.

But...more than likely, insurance will cover the initial visit and prescription with doc (not as likely with trt clinic since they like to do the monthly fee thing). *SO* if you do have low test levels, you will know and have solid medical advice for a starting point. If your test level is low and you get on trt, you will be amazed at how much you can progress with just that alone. But be prepared to fight to get your test level up to the 800-1100 range. Some doctors are happy once they get you to 300-500 and that's not enough. Shots should weekly, don't let them put you on biweekly.
All of this

1.) Oh, I'm a biochemist. I know that there's not cookie cutter plan for anyone. But I hate "Here's generic concepts, now figure out REAL application all on your own" statements found in a lot of stuff I've read with creating lifting routines. I can only imagine diet books have the same bullshit. I want an ACTUAL example of things, even if it's not specially tailored to me specifically, because it gives literal ideas I can study and translate, not hypothetical ones.

2.) (Flips the bird.) Fine. Asshole. Lol.

3.) Customization is something I'm looking for AFTER I first figure out the basics. Which is why I'm hoping to find even generic ones that are fully fleshed out. I'm a visual and kinesthetic learner. Seeing something, then doing it. Just giving me generic "you need 30g of protein per meal" or whatever doesn't help unless if I can see something like, "Here's chicken stirfry. It uses 1 standard sized chicken breast (6oz) and blah-blah. It makes 6 servings. Eat two per meal to get these general nutritional values." That's a PRACTICAL example taking paragraphs and paragraphs of words in nutrition books and simplifying everything down to easily digestible real world applications. I've read plenty of lifting books that lacked the KEY thing they needed to ground 120+ pages of science babble: FULLY FLESHED OUT EXAMPLE PROGRAMS!

4.) Oh, 240 lbs is still fat for me. But it's a SIGNIFICANT change that's less daunting then trying to get down to 200 lbs (which has always been hard my adult life, even when I was in good shape). So it's kind of a "get here for basic health, then fine tune for specific goals" weight.

5.) I'll reach out to them or others when my life gets more "set" next week. Vacation and a job change have made the last two weeks atypical for me.

6.) My dad has thyroid issues he regulates with medicine. Looking generally at my medical history, my doctor hasn't seen that in me yet. But he hasn't done any specific tests for it. Nor has he done any specific tests for other hormone levels. I'll have to see about getting those you mentioned tested specifically and find out. I don't want to use the "My hormones are messed up. That's why I'm fat" excuse. I'm fat because I didn't exercise for 6 years. But I HAVE been exercising for 1.5 years now and was calorie counting of a year of that time, and had lost very little weight or inches off my waistline. Which tells me maybe something else is up beyond *just* diet. Who knows? That's why I need to check, right?

So here's my current diet. I'm 5'6" 179lbs at around 16-17% bodyfat, so my lean mass is around 150lbs. I'm doing 3-4 30 minutes cardio sessions weekly, 2 fasted and 2 post workout typically. Notice how many calories I'm eating. I'm currently losing around 2-3lbs per week right now. I'm doing a hybrid of DC rest pause and Mountaindog style training so my TDEE is probably a little higher than it would be under a pure powerlifting regimine, but I'm not familiar with the conjugate method so take that part with a grain of salt.

Chances are your metabolism is shit from eating too few calories and crappy sources. I would add in cardio at 3x30 minutes either fasted or post workout and up your calories some...maybe even follow this to a T for now to get the fire burning again.

We're willing to help out here man, you just gotta put in some work learning how this stuff works. Or just hire a coach. Then it takes the thinking out of it

Meal 1
10oz Egg Whites
50g Raw Oats
1tbsp Mac Nut Oil

Meal 2
4oz Chicken Breast
1c White Rice
1/2tbsp EVOO
1/2c greens

Meal 3
4oz Chicken Breast
1c White Rice
1/2tbsp EVOO
1/2c greens

Meal 4/Intra40g carbs

Meal 5/Post Workout
10oz Egg Whites
3 Rice Cakes

Meal 6
8oz 90/10 or lean beef
1c White Rice
1c greens

Meal 7
Casien Shake 25g
2tbsp Natural PB

TOTAL calories 2983.58

This is about 33% protein, 38% carbs, 29% fat.

So here's my current diet. I'm 5'6" 179lbs at around 16-17% bodyfat, so my lean mass is around 150lbs. I'm doing 3-4 30 minutes cardio sessions weekly, 2 fasted and 2 post workout typically. Notice how many calories I'm eating. I'm currently losing around 2-3lbs per week right now. I'm doing a hybrid of DC rest pause and Mountaindog style training so my TDEE is probably a little higher than it would be under a pure powerlifting regimine, but I'm not familiar with the conjugate method so take that part with a grain of salt.

Chances are your metabolism is shit from eating too few calories and crappy sources. I would add in cardio at 3x30 minutes either fasted or post workout and up your calories some...maybe even follow this to a T for now to get the fire burning again.

We're willing to help out here man, you just gotta put in some work learning how this stuff works. Or just hire a coach. Then it takes the thinking out of it

Meal 1
10oz Egg Whites
50g Raw Oats
1tbsp Mac Nut Oil

Meal 2
4oz Chicken Breast
1c White Rice
1/2tbsp EVOO
1/2c greens

Meal 3
4oz Chicken Breast
1c White Rice
1/2tbsp EVOO
1/2c greens

Meal 4/Intra40g carbs

Meal 5/Post Workout
10oz Egg Whites
3 Rice Cakes

Meal 6
8oz 90/10 or lean beef
1c White Rice
1c greens

Meal 7
Casien Shake 25g
2tbsp Natural PB

TOTAL calories 2983.58

This is about 33% protein, 38% carbs, 29% fat.

^^^^^ all great info above .You do not need gear or even a heavy workout at this time.Maybe just diet and walking .You have much weight to lose -Luck-OD

1.) Oh, I'm a biochemist. I know that there's not cookie cutter plan for anyone. But I hate "Here's generic concepts, now figure out REAL application all on your own" statements found in a lot of stuff I've read with creating lifting routines. I can only imagine diet books have the same bullshit. I want an ACTUAL example of things, even if it's not specially tailored to me specifically, because it gives literal ideas I can study and translate, not hypothetical ones.

2.) (Flips the bird.) Fine. Asshole. Lol.

3.) Customization is something I'm looking for AFTER I first figure out the basics. Which is why I'm hoping to find even generic ones that are fully fleshed out. I'm a visual and kinesthetic learner. Seeing something, then doing it. Just giving me generic "you need 30g of protein per meal" or whatever doesn't help unless if I can see something like, "Here's chicken stirfry. It uses 1 standard sized chicken breast (6oz) and blah-blah. It makes 6 servings. Eat two per meal to get these general nutritional values." That's a PRACTICAL example taking paragraphs and paragraphs of words in nutrition books and simplifying everything down to easily digestible real world applications. I've read plenty of lifting books that lacked the KEY thing they needed to ground 120+ pages of science babble: FULLY FLESHED OUT EXAMPLE PROGRAMS!

4.) Oh, 240 lbs is still fat for me. But it's a SIGNIFICANT change that's less daunting then trying to get down to 200 lbs (which has always been hard my adult life, even when I was in good shape). So it's kind of a "get here for basic health, then fine tune for specific goals" weight.

5.) I'll reach out to them or others when my life gets more "set" next week. Vacation and a job change have made the last two weeks atypical for me.

6.) My dad has thyroid issues he regulates with medicine. Looking generally at my medical history, my doctor hasn't seen that in me yet. But he hasn't done any specific tests for it. Nor has he done any specific tests for other hormone levels. I'll have to see about getting those you mentioned tested specifically and find out. I don't want to use the "My hormones are messed up. That's why I'm fat" excuse. I'm fat because I didn't exercise for 6 years. But I HAVE been exercising for 1.5 years now and was calorie counting of a year of that time, and had lost very little weight or inches off my waistline. Which tells me maybe something else is up beyond *just* diet. Who knows? That's why I need to check, right?

1) Ok that rocks. What can we do to keep you here? And I don't mean in this little selfish thread of yours all about you you you, but the forum in general? We need more science and education seriously.

6) Ok that sucks. You need full thyroid and sex hormone (not sexual, that... simply meaning androgens and estrogens) workups and there's no harm in lots of such bloodwork. Docs denying you that are a problem.

I'm going to go a little off the grain here and say: Go off the grid, now. Get that bloodwork. But also prepare to go on a small cycle to get you started. Otherwise you risk struggling against this shit forever... unless you have the unusual wherewithal to ditch sugars altogether and (probably) most carbs too. And that's hard as fuck. Take a look at dieting stats nationwide and you'll find out that 97% of people straight up fail, as measured 1-3 yrs out. So 29-in-30 fail, but hey, you could be that 1-in-30 that are amazing and win! Yeah, could happen.

Get some androgens. They're amazing. Just do it. Big boost. Big life change. Go off grid, IMO. Yeah I'm contradicting a lot of cautious advice around here but I believe life is short and, besides, being overweight/obese is much riskier than some moderate doses of T.

I'll post all sorts of studies to back it up if needed but you might be best served just searching old posts in the forum here.

Last edited:
Back