• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Barbell curls vs. Dumbbell curls.. do any of you still incorporate barbell curls?

Vision

Team supervisor P.S.L.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Clearly the both of these have their advantages and disadvantages.. both are simply two different types of tools, but obviously dumbbell curls have a wider variety with positioning and different mechanics compared to a fixed position with barbell curls..

With this said, is there a lot of you that still employee barbell curls in the beginning of your routine? Have a lot of you completely eliminated them entirely?

As an added bonus to the topic, let's see your current arm routine?

high rep cable work is my preference for arm growth.

might use barbell and dumbell curls as warmups or as a way to change things up.

Currently, when I do barbell curls, I do them more towards the end of my arm session with lightweight and SLOW, slow very strict form. Emphasizing the long contraction much more than the peak, holding the peak at about 65% of the ROM. For me, it is vital that I don't cheat at all or I get very little from this exercise. Many of you know this already but maybe someone else doesn't so it's worth mentioning. I also incorporate a core/body stabilization technique, is not only super helpful in creating a strong core/foundation but learning how to contract each muscle group simultaneously emphasizing on one is a great way to train yourself for muscle control and proper breathing. The pump is insane when you do things this way. This will intensify your workout bigtime

Currently, when I do barbell curls, I do them more towards the end of my arm session with lightweight and SLOW, slow very strict form. Emphasizing the long contraction much more than the peak, holding the peak at about 65% of the ROM. For me, it is vital that I don't cheat at all or I get very little from this exercise. Many of you know this already but maybe someone else doesn't so it's worth mentioning. I also incorporate a core/body stabilization technique, is not only super helpful in creating a strong core/foundation but learning how to contract each muscle group simultaneously emphasizing on one is a great way to train yourself for muscle control and proper breathing. The pump is insane when you do things this way. This will intensify your workout bigtime

Right on brother..
That's pretty much the same what I do I use it as a finisher with super lightweight just to get even more of a pump.. in fact I've been resorting to arm drags..

I've always had a difficult time with barbell curls because of the fixed position and it applies pressure on my wrists.

I actually do a lot of cable curls, one of my Maine go to movements is the supra-bar.. it's extremely forgiving on my wrists..

I also employ a lot of single handle double grip back facing lower cable curls, it's a deeper ROM, and you're really able to stretch the muscle head.

And of course my beloved seated inclined dumbbell curls..

I like to be in control of the range of motion, and dictate my positioning rather than having a fixed grip..

And just like you said as a polisher clean it up with light weight barbell curl, once everything has been pumped and primed, lightweight with controlled breathing and contracting your core the entire time in fact contracting your core with every workout brother..

But I have to say my go-to movement is the lower cable single handle double grip back facing pulley cable.. such a deep ROM and with each set you can dictate the positioning and the portion of the bi , whether it's wide or close or simply just a stretch..

When I was younger, I incorporated a lot of heavy barbell work to build size bc that's what I saw Arnold doing... it did get me strong and build up. It was always a killer workout.

Now? I throw them in for a lighter slower controlled movement going for the "feel."

Bicep Routine (done after working back so they are already a bit pre-fatigued):
2 sets bicep curls at 25#, and 50#.
3 sets of preacher curls usually hammer strength
3 sets cable curls from the top position
1 set hammer curls to failure or a light barbell set as described above.

Triceps (done after shoulders so a bit pre-fatigued):
3 sets cable pressdown hands pronated done singe or double depends
3 sets cable pressdown hands supinated
3 sets seated dips hammer or done with bodyweight

May change up a bit but this is basic

Cables and dumbbells. Barbell always causes more wrist pain. Except I used to finish with ‘crazy eights’ with the ez curl.... but mostly just cables on bAck day these days... finishers...it’s been a year since my bicep tendon surgery but my bicep pump looks weird when I smash a lot of bicep curls so I don’t really focus on biceps too much..

but when I do dumbbells > barbells

Still doing them. Weight depends on what coach has me doing for sets/reps. They ARE a killer on wrists, so I try not to get too crazy with weight and switch up hand positions a bit between sets.

I quit doing barbell curls for quite a long time, probably a little over a year. I incorporated them back into my routine a few months ago and I was shocked at how effective they seemed to be. Maybe it’s because went such a long time without doing them but I’ve noticed a difference in overall size and strength in my biceps. Also to note i prefer the straight bar over the ez curl bar I seem to get a better workout with the straight bar.

I prefer DB curls over barbell or EZ bar curls. When I do incorperate barbell curls it is usually a drag curl. My current bicep routine is DB curls 8-12 reps, last set is rest-pause, barbell drag curls, and DB spider curls.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Clearly the both of these have their advantages and disadvantages.. both are simply two different types of tools, but obviously dumbbell curls have a wider variety with positioning and different mechanics compared to a fixed position with barbell curls..

With this said, is there a lot of you that still employee barbell curls in the beginning of your routine? Have a lot of you completely eliminated them entirely?

As an added bonus to the topic, let's see your current arm routine?

After I tore my bicep in October, I didn’t think I’d ever really be able to do a Barbell Curl again because of the torque I thought it would put on the arm having to keep it in that position, however since I started incorporating them back into my routine, I feel I’ve noticed that it helps me stretch it all the way back out at the bottom. I like to switch my arm days around frequently to keep them interesting, but this was my last one:
Seated Barbell Military Press
95X15
135X12
175-2X10
185X8
225X3

Lateral Raises
25’sX12
30’s-3X10

Hammer Strength Shoulder Press
180lbsX12
230lbsX10
270lbsX8
320lbsX4

Reverse PecDec for Rear Delts
4X15 @165lbs

Barbell Curl
45lbsX15
65lbs-3X10

Dumbbell skull crushers
4X8 W/30’s

Super-Set:
Alternating Dumbbell Curls (30’s)
Cable Tricep Ext’s (72lbs, 80lbs, 85lbs, 90lbs)
4X8

Super-Set:
Dumbbell Hammer Curls (40’s)
Hammer Strength Forearm Gripper (90lbs)
4X8

GearChurch Gang

IML Gear Cream!
I do barbell curls but not as often as it kills my wrists. Prefer the ezbar for that.

It appears to be that I'm not the only guy with the handicap in regards to the positioning of the fixed barbell having problematic an unwanted pressure on the wrists..

I swear by the Supra bar, because the access point with the handles will allow them to kind of spin like a gyro.. the range of motion is absolutely beautiful.
And the single-handed grips the I use attached to a chain that goes to the lower cable will allow you a deeper and more intense contraction compared to a barbell curl where the bar stops at your hips, with the single handle grips in each hand attached to a chain behind you allows for it to come through your hips and behind you, it's much deeper and I find the contraction to be far more Superior with the tension of the cable..

When it comes to any form of barbell curl I can only get away with the arm drags and in fact I'm absolutely loving them while cleaning up my routine..

i always start with straight barbell curls 60lbs to failure and superset whatever triceps going with... usually skullcrusher on smith machine.... 3 or 4 sets depends if i'm in rush or not... all to failure.. arms are pumped from there on out... then move to dumbbell curls supered with seated tri pushdowns, the hammer curls with kickbacks... then over to cables to finish the workout,,

Arm circumference?

I'm doing BB curls with 135x5 Arnold style cheat form 5s negative and its good, but to be honest i prefer anything that is super strict with a slow eccentric. If you have joint problems dumbbells will probably be the way to go, if not mix it up

I definitely have problems will straight barbell curls, so I concentrate on DB's, machine preacher curls, and EZ bar preacher curls.

Last arm workout was as follows:

Giant set
Wide grip pull ups: 8-10 reps (slow, go all the way down)
EZ bar preacher curls: 10-12 reps
Rope pushdowns: 10-12 reps
Alt DB curls: 10-12 reps
Close grip bench press: 10-12 reps

Back