• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Higher Taxes Hurting The Rich?

tommygunz

Assministrator
Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Higher taxes haven't hurt the rich at all

Roughly 75% of America's wealthy are spending just as freely as they were before the fiscal cliff, a new survey finds.

By Jason Notte

Rich-300-00188D05.jpg
Please tell us again how increasing taxes on the wealthy will completely bulldoze the economy and crush conspicuous spending. We couldn't hear you the first time over all the card swiping and receipt printing.

Before the New Year and the fiscal cliff debate, wealthy Americans not named Warren Buffett and their non-wealthy free-market advocates warned that taxing the rich would halt economic recovery and send the well-heeled packing their bags for greener pastures. On Wednesday, however, CNBC uncovered a survey that not only called that argument scatological, but found that taxes haven't affected spending by the majority of wealthy Americans in the slightest.

The Shullman Luxury and Affluence Monthly Pulse found that 55% of people making $500,000 or more said higher taxes have not impacted their spending plans. Lower that income bar to those making $250,000 a year -- the group President Barack Obama initially wanted to raise taxes on before Republican opponents haggled the new individual threshold for income tax hikes up to $400,000 -- and a full 61% said taxes have not dented their spending plans.

But wait, that must just mean they're not saving as much, right? No. Fifty-nine percent of those making $500,000 or more and 64% of the $250,000-plus earners said higher taxes haven't changed their investment strategies. Maybe they're throttling back their charitable offerings? That supposes that the rich aren't terrible at donating to charity in the first place, but the survey humored them a bit and found that 55% of the $500,000-or-more club and 62% of their $250,000-a-year counterparts weren't going to let taxes affect their giving.

But those aren't overwhelming majorities, so someone must be feeling the pinch, right? Not as many as you'd think. Less than a quarter of high-wage earners said they'd reduce spending as a result of taxes.

So what happened to all that pre-election, pre-cliff bluster about the rich not feeling rich anymore and being persecuted by looming tax hikes? Well, as a sporting goods company with dubious sponsorship partners so inelegantly stated, “winning takes care of everything.” Though about a third of those making $250,000 are pessimistic about the economy, another third are very optimistic about the economy. Among those numbers, those who own businesses are way more optimistic than those who don't.

The rich appreciate all the support through those trying fiscal cliff days but, if you'll excuse them, they have a few more things to shop for before they'll have time for you again.

I don't really buy these kinds of studies, although i use to (when my taxes were lower)

Hey Gunz- So what?? Do you actually think the gov should get 1 more nickel of anyone's money? Both repubs and dems have proven an inability to manage money. Why should we reward them by giving them more? The gov should be shrinking and spending less, not just taking more from those they deem "rich".
JL

I just postem brother, I don't write them. Actually I think about giving what I give to the gov every week and get pissed as hell. I don't think giving the wasteful bastards another cent helps squat. I just would like to enjoy some of the breaks that come with having that kinda dough. Before anyone plays the sour grapes card on me, I don't hate the rich either. I'm a blue collar guy in the tax bracket that makes me fork over 30% of my pay each week, yeah I make a good income. So I'm calling bullshit on the boohoo anti taxer rich lobbyists. I'm a flat tax proponent, lets all pay 10% rich and poor, no loopholes.

I just postem brother, I don't write them. Actually I think about giving what I give to the gov every week and get pissed as hell. I don't think giving the wasteful bastards another cent helps squat. I just would like to enjoy some of the breaks that come with having that kinda dough. Before anyone plays the sour grapes card on me, I don't hate the rich either. I'm a blue collar guy in the tax bracket that makes me fork over 30% of my pay each week, yeah I make a good income. So I'm calling bullshit on the boohoo anti taxer rich lobbyists. I'm a flat tax proponent, lets all pay 10% rich and poor, no loopholes.
Thanx for clarifying. Flat tax is the only way to go but then youll still have obama crying for more and more from the rich. He has to know that the rich cant support the rest of the country. The 47% have to start contributing or stop taking. Food stamp recipients are actually being recruited by this admin! The problems of this country are not solved by government-They are created by government. IMO. Im sure our views are not that disparate TG. Congrats on the AY gig-- I just started using her Var and she has the goods and advice. Good luck bro.
JL

From my experience, the extra-wealthy are spending the same as they always have.

Back