• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

TDEE or BMR formulas

Swolewelder

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
What formula do you guys use for calculating your TDEE and BMR? There are so many different variations to the formulas I’ve found, and I want the most accurate number possible.

In for algorithms; (or algebraic expressions) :)

The mirror

TDEE is the detailed accounting of each activity and its metabolic cost. BMR or RMR is more of an estimate/shortcut.
Are you trying to figure calories for dieting?

TDEE is the detailed accounting of each activity and its metabolic cost. BMR or RMR is more of an estimate/shortcut.
Are you trying to figure calories for dieting?

Maintenance calories to start, which given the current formulas I am using range anywhere from 3k - 3.5k cal, which seems high to me.

Oh I was thinking BMI, body mass index

BMI is useless IMO, someone 6’0” weighing 220lbs would be considered obese. It doesn’t take bf% into account

any formula you find is only an untruthful estimate.
so, take them all, calculate the two values with all the formulas and then make the average.

finally try for a month to always eat the same amount, if your weight does not change, you have found your point of balance

any formula you find is only an untruthful estimate.
so, take them all, calculate the two values with all the formulas and then make the average.

finally try for a month to always eat the same amount, if your weight does not change, you have found your point of balance

Yeah I guess this is the most accurate method, I just wish there was a mathematical way to figure it out versus trial and error, but thanks for the input!

IML Gear Cream!
To start, all these online calculators are so overly basic that only a novice or person first starting out should use them.

Same thing goes for the calculator for maximum heart rate. Using that baseline of 220 and deduct your age for maximum heart rate is a joke for anyone experienced.

None of these basic calculations take into account your race or genetics.

But, I have used the TDEE calculator in the beginning for a baseline and worked from there. Nowadays I may look at it for reference but I go by previous experience and what works for me over time.

Back