• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Buchner Funnel Filtering To Slow

mastiff

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
So I have been brewing for a few years now. Started with syringe filters back in the day and last couple years use bottle tops with glass media bottles. I decided to spend a little extra cash and get a porcelain 90mm Buchner funnel (I have another Buchner on the way with a pore plate but this one is the standard used with a rubber seal), .22 90mm nylon filter membrane, and 1L bottle. I gave it a dry run with just oil and heated the oil to 150F.

My questions is that even at 20psi it basically drips excessively slow. There is no vacuum leak as the guage held at 20 for 15 minutes all while filtering maybe 100mL at best. Is this normal? Even with bottle tops I can do 500mL in about 10 minutes.

I can't imagine the rate increasing much by adding the solvents even at 2/20 that doesn't seem to thin out the oil enough. Maybe I am expecting to much but I felt that it would filter at least as fast as the bottle tops given that I can set the vacuum higher with these.

Any thoughts from guys running Buchner setups?

If the one your using now doesn't have a poreplate then what is it? Steel screen?

If the one your using now doesn't have a poreplate then what is it? Steel screen?

It's just the "standard" porcelain funnel with holes drilled at the top. the 90mm filter disk fits perfectly on top and then a rubber washer on it to seal at the top of the receiver flask. The first pic is what I used and the 2nd is on the way.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry first pic is on the way and second is what I used.

Attachments

• Buchner.jpg
    Buchner.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Buchner2.jpg
    Buchner2.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 42
That's a poreplate too, they're slow. A screen or fritted disk is faster but getting the filter to seal can be tricky. Buchner with a sandwich joint and fritted disk is faster but can leak, looks like they quit making those anyway, don't see them for sale anymore.

Edit. Your first picture is a sandwich type with fritted disk. That should be a little faster but not as fast as a bottle top. Even though your only gonna have a 45mm filter surface area with the fritted disk it will be more than the 90mm poreplate because your actual filter surface area is only the area where there are holes in the plate.

Last edited:
I ordered the 47mm .2 nylon filters for the sandwhich joint one as well. I won't be really heartbroken if I stick with bottle top filters as yes it's a big cost savings if it works but I got a decent deal on both setups and am only out a couple hundred bucks. I guess I can just leave the unit to filter slow but all day to do 500mL (reality is I like to do minimum of 500mL at a time usually 1000mL).

I decided to take a shot with these out of curiosity. I guess the next step is to mix oil with solvents to see if there is any difference given the viscosity will change a bit. I would be happy if it filtered the same rate as a bottle top.

I don't think taking the oil any hotter would help and I can go get an electric pump from harbor freight pretty cheap to increase the psi as well.

Thank you for the help REHH.

I have all buchner setups, one is the sandwich type with fritted disk, the others are all glass setups with poreplates and 20/40 joints. Yes they will filter faster with thinner oils, Mygylol goes much faster but none will come close to a bottle top because they have more filter surface area. Best thing to do is have multiple setups so you can be filtering 2-3 brews at the same time. That way your not held up waiting for filtering.

Last edited:
I timed it this morning. 3 hours to do about 200mL with 22psi on the vacuum and the vacuum held the whole time. The solvents and oil temp didn't affect it at all.

I have all buchner setups, one is the sandwich type with fritted disk, the others are all glass setups with poreplates and 20/40 joints. Yes they will filter faster with thinner oils, Mygylol goes much faster but none will come close to a bottle top because they have more filter surface area. Best thing to do is have multiple setups so you can be filtering 2-3 brews at the same time. That way your not held up waiting for filtering.
REHH, you really think a bottle top filter and a glass filtration system with a fritted disc is faster than a porcelain bunchner funnel? I'm sorry brother I have agreed with you on everything you've ever said besides this. I've got all 3 myself and I've used all 3 multiple times. Wel multiple hundreds of times to be exact, and nothing is faster then my 90mm porcelain setup. Well if we're not counting the capsule filter of course. I've realized a long time ago that it comes down to what kind of filters you using?

Are your filters hydrophilic or hydrophobic and what are they made out of?

Also RRHH I've got a stainless steel set up with a screen, and bro I must be doing something wrong because that thing is dog ass slow I'll be lucky if I can get 100ml in 20 minute. I must be doing something wrong.lol..

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The filters I am using are nylon .2 hydrophilic and are SSSLLLOOOWWW.This is just using the basic porcelain Buchner at 22psi.

This is my setup. Maybe I was expecting to much but super slow.

Attachments

• Filter2.jpg
    Filter2.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 43
IML Gear Cream!
REHH, you really think a bottle top filter and a glass filtration system with a fritted disc is faster than a porcelain bunchner funnel? I'm sorry brother I have agreed with you on everything you've ever said besides this. I've got all 3 myself and I've used all 3 multiple times. Wel multiple hundreds of times to be exact, and nothing is faster then my 90mm porcelain setup. Well if we're not counting the capsule filter of course. I've realized a long time ago that it comes down to what kind of filters you using?

Also RRHH I've got a stainless steel set up with a screen, and bro I must be doing something wrong because that thing is dog ass slow I'll be lucky if I can get 100ml in 20 minute. I must be doing something wrong.lol..

I never use bottle tops but based off people stating the filter rates they seem faster than buchners. The fritted disk is faster than a poreplate from personal experience using both.

I never use bottle tops but based off people stating the filter rates they seem faster than buchners. The fritted disk is faster than a poreplate from personal experience using both.

I got my 2nd setup in yesterday. I am sterilyzing it as I type.

REHH what would you say is a good rate say 100mL per hour with the fritted disk? The porcelain one I had as stated did about 200mL in a little over 3 hours.

I got my 2nd setup in yesterday. I am sterilyzing it as I type.

REHH what would you say is a good rate say 100mL per hour with the fritted disk? The porcelain one I had as stated did about 200mL in a little over 3 hours.

150-200ml an hr

Update. The 2nd unit is about as slow as the 1st unit (maybe even a bit slower). It didn't leak at the joint as the filter disk I put there seemed to seal it. These are good units for cost effectiveness just not when your in a hurry. Overall I will probably do a combination of using these when I have the time to wait and using bottle tops if I am in a hurry. REHH thank you for all the help.

On a side note the 2nd unit hauls ass when only filtering through the "pores" on the fritted disk but that's only what 40-50 micron? Not the .22 needed for true sterilization.

On a side note the 2nd unit hauls ass when only filtering through the "pores" on the fritted disk but that's only what 40-50 micron? Not the .22 needed for true sterilization.

Yeah you need .45 or .22 filter. I use 75% MCT 25% Mygylol for carrier oil so it filters a lot quicker than GSO.

The filters I am using are nylon .2 hydrophilic and are SSSLLLOOOWWW.This is just using the basic porcelain Buchner at 22psi.
Brother using a hydrophobic pvdf with the same setup, and I'm doing between 6 and 800ml in 15 minutes. You got to get rid of the nylon hydrophilic in fact you got to get rid of the nylon completely because the only coming hydrophilic. Go with pvdf hydrophobic it is night and day.

Also how many mm is your funnel I have both a 70 and a 90 is 70 mm is doing 500 on average in about 20 minutes then 90 mm is doing 500 in about 10 minutes. I have a 47 mm glass fritted piece and I would say that's doing about 200 mL in 20 minutes maybe 30 minutes. Like REHH said get yourself a . 45um and MCT or Mig840 and filter warm it is night and day. If you use pvdf it can withstand a higher temperature so you can filter at around 120°F

Also how many mm is your funnel I have both a 70 and a 90 is 70 mm is doing 500 on average in about 20 minutes then 90 mm is doing 500 in about 10 minutes. I have a 47 mm glass fritted piece and I would say that's doing about 200 mL in 20 minutes maybe 30 minutes. Like REHH said get yourself a . 45um and MCT or Mig840 and filter warm it is night and day. If you use pvdf it can withstand a higher temperature so you can filter at around 120°F

The bigger flask with the fritted filter is 47mm with a 300mL funnel. The straight poreplate is 90mm with the holes drilled in and holds 300mL also. I will get some new filters that are hydrophobic instead and see what they do. I would be happy with a rate of filtration that matched the bottle tops. Still searching for good place to get some mig 840.

I always thought that you wanted .22 filters as the .45 wouldn't get all bacteria out? Are you saying pre-filter with a .45?

The bigger flask with the fritted filter is 47mm with a 300mL funnel. The straight poreplate is 90mm with the holes drilled in and holds 300mL also. I will get some new filters that are hydrophobic instead and see what they do. I would be happy with a rate of filtration that matched the bottle tops. Still searching for good place to get some mig 840.

I always thought that you wanted .22 filters as the .45 wouldn't get all bacteria out? Are you saying pre-filter with a .45?
I sent you a private message brother check it out, and message me back..

Back