PDA

View Full Version : Major headache when lifting....?????

Brostep
03-18-2013, 10:54 AM
Friday while doing my last set on the leg press, I reached my last rep to failure and all the sudden I felt a sharp dull pain from that back of my neck to my head so I had to stop and catch my breath while I had a sudden hit of a migrane.

I had random headaches after that during the weekend so I took some ibprofin and I was ok. This morning I did shoulders so I did my military press warm ups and just felt a little pressure in my head. But when I did my first work load set, I had to stop by 6 reps because I got another major attack of a headache, pretty much everytime blood rushes to my head I get really nasty headaches for about a minute until I am calmed. To think about it, even having sexy with my wife gave me a headache.

Anyone ever experience this???

I am planning on taking 3 weeks off as of today and see the doctor tomorrow. I am cutting out all supplements from caffine, daa and ect. Hopefully its something inflimated and nothing major. Hopefully these 3 weeks of ill get the rest and recovery I need for this shit to go away.

Fawkinnewbee
03-20-2013, 08:37 AM
Yea, I get something very similar during dead-lifts and squats. I have found, that in my situation, I hold my breath too long on the exertion, which I believe triggers this shooting pain up the neck to my head. What helped to eliminate the pain, is foam roll the back of my neck really well before workout and during my rest periods, and start my exhale sooner on the exertion.

bombdiggity
03-20-2013, 10:44 AM
This happened to me a few years back while benching. Like a dumbass, when I was going heavy on my last rep I held my breath. Instant severe headache. After that, every time my heart rate increased I got a splitting headache. I couldnt lift, do cardio, or even fuck without my head killing me. I knew something was wrong, so I went to the doc. He suspected a possible aneurysm and sent me to get an MRI right away. Luckily the MRI didn't show any ballooning of arteries, and he diagnosed it as "pain induced by increased intercranial pressure" and scolded me about closing my airway while doing Anything with bearing down or lifting heavy.
So ultimately it sounds like you should go see a doc in case you may have fucked up an artery somewhere in your brain.
As for my headaches, they eventually subsided over time. But that shit sucked going through. It lasted for months. Hope you are okay bro.

chocolatemalt
03-20-2013, 03:09 PM
Friday while doing my last set on the leg press, I reached my last rep to failure and all the sudden I felt a sharp dull pain from that back of my neck to my head so I had to stop and catch my breath while I had a sudden hit of a migrane.

This might be an exertion headache, judging from your symptoms of pain migrating from neck -> head. I had the same thing starting a few months ago and fading away until just recently.

I tried lots of ibuprofen and some other stuff, only getting some minor temporary relief.

The cause seems to be high arterial pressure that presses on a nerve somewhere in your neck. The cure for me was lots and lots of neck stretches along with occasional weight-bearing neck exercises. The stretches are simply a combo of nods, side-to-side turns, and head wobbles at all kinds of angles. Sounds silly but the improvement was dramatic. There are many youtube videos with helpful neck rehab stretches that approximate what worked for me.

GSRacer
03-20-2013, 07:26 PM
Check your BP

murf23
03-20-2013, 08:15 PM
Check your BP

THAT ^^^^ As soon as you can !!!!

Brostep
03-24-2013, 10:20 AM
I saw the doc on Tuesday and he prescribed and mri and some blood work. I tried to sneak in a hormonal blood work but he laughed and said that from the looks of it your doing just fine haha.

But my bp is good and I go to do an mri this tues day. I still get random mini headaches mostly by my temples and back of the head and neck. They have been more calm as the week progresses but intense sex still triggers a major pressure feeling to my head leading to an uncomfortable pain to my head and neck.

I am going into my second week of lift free and it really really sucks. and just as I was about to go into my first cycle.

Nova
03-24-2013, 07:06 PM
A friend of mine had a similar problem, however he didn't take much notice of it since the pain stopped after he finished lifting. Soon he got fed up with it and got it checked out. He happened to have a herniated disc in his neck. So good to get it checked out don't want to risk making things worse and having to take extra time off to recover

AestheticBro
03-26-2013, 11:56 AM
yea good choice to head to the doc. in the mean time watch sodium, monitor BP, eliminate stims (if using anything else besides caff), and hydrate. good advice in here.

Brostep
03-27-2013, 07:38 AM
Thank you all for the great advices.

I had a cat scan done and an mri. I got the results for the cat scan and they didnt see any bleeding or tumors and currently waiting on the mri results. but they said if it was something life threatening I would of bee notified by now (according to the doctor).

But headaches have gone away and I just get a sore neck once a while and a little tension headaches once a while also. I noticed that having a drink does trigger a minor headache but I feel 100 times better this week as I did last week. I feel like I could go back to the gym but I will wait for the doctors green light.

Stupid Question, If I got the ok to go back to the gym and I decide to take bayer to prevent any headaches, will it effect any gains, recovery or such? specially if I decide on going on my first test e cycle. or should I wait until I am 100% pain free before doing any gear.. I plan on taking it easy and get the feel of things on my first 3 weeks of lfiting before I pin.

Ajperretta
04-02-2013, 01:11 PM
Check your BP
I was thinking that too.

gettingbig
05-16-2013, 06:12 PM
My friend is going through this right now and the doctor told him to take a month off from lifting.

Rayjay
05-16-2013, 06:38 PM
I went through this. I tried to lift again later but it was like a lightning bolt of pain inside my head. CT scan showed no bleed or tumor. I took a few weeks or a month off from lifting to be sure I wouldn't permanently screw something up. Eased back into it, and I am now doing totally fine. So yes take time off. And you'll feel like you can go back but just wait. Let whatever got aggravated totally heal. You wouldn't want to have this problem for life. No headaches now even hitting PR's

good luck