• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Joe’s Unsponsored Log

TheShadow

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Hey guys,

A lot of you already know me from my previous log over in one of the sponsor sub-forums.

Unfortunately we have since parted ways, but I didn’t want to let you guys down who have been following the content, so I will continue here!

For those of you that don’t know me - my name is Joe, I’m based in the UK and am an online physique & health coach by trade.

In here I will share personal updates, my podcasts, articles and all other content.

Thanks guys, I hope you enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well this is a surprise to see you not with them anymore. Hopefully everything is fine and well.

I've always followed your log over there, will follow this one also, Joe.

I was surprised also man, but it is what it is, onwards we go! Appreciate the follow my brother.

Will be following. Great log.
Thank you sir...

- - - Updated - - -

USING ANDROGENS TO MEDIATE ESTROGENIC SIDE EFFECTS VIA CONTROLLING YOUR A:E RATIO.
There is a tonne of confusion in here on this premise, so here’s a basic breakdown.
So firstly, cotrolling estrogenic effects with androgens, vs. actual anti-estrogenic actions - what’s the difference?
Selective estrogen receptor modulators (SERMS) are both antagonistic and agonistic at the estrogen receptor. They are anti-estrogenic where they are antagonistic, such as the breast.
Aromatase inhibitors (AI’s) are anti-estrogens. By direct mechanism, they reduce serum estrogen by inhibiting the aromatase pathway action.
Now... onto androgens.
Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) has SOME anti-aromatase activity, but really not much. NOTE: this applies to DHT only, not all 5-AR compounds/DHT derivatives.
So how do we use androgens to balance estrogenic side effects outside of DHT only?
Many AAS have been studied and utilised in the treatment of breast cancer (including testosterone). When androgen receptor binding at the breast is greater than estrogen receptor binding, this will prevent proliferation of breast tissues.
Typical AAS used for this purpose are masteron, proviron, epistane and winstrol, but all androgens can be utilised.
Simply, increasing your A:E ratio by introducing non-aromatising will counteract estrogenic side effects via the drugs action at the androgen receptor, NOT due to any anti-estrogenic factors.

Thank you sir...

- - - Updated - - -

USING ANDROGENS TO MEDIATE ESTROGENIC SIDE EFFECTS VIA CONTROLLING YOUR A:E RATIO.
There is a tonne of confusion in here on this premise, so here’s a basic breakdown.
So firstly, cotrolling estrogenic effects with androgens, vs. actual anti-estrogenic actions - what’s the difference?
Selective estrogen receptor modulators (SERMS) are both antagonistic and agonistic at the estrogen receptor. They are anti-estrogenic where they are antagonistic, such as the breast.
Aromatase inhibitors (AI’s) are anti-estrogens. By direct mechanism, they reduce serum estrogen by inhibiting the aromatase pathway action.
Now... onto androgens.
Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) has SOME anti-aromatase activity, but really not much. NOTE: this applies to DHT only, not all 5-AR compounds/DHT derivatives.
So how do we use androgens to balance estrogenic side effects outside of DHT only?
Many AAS have been studied and utilised in the treatment of breast cancer (including testosterone). When androgen receptor binding at the breast is greater than estrogen receptor binding, this will prevent proliferation of breast tissues.
Typical AAS used for this purpose are masteron, proviron, epistane and winstrol, but all androgens can be utilised.
Simply, increasing your A:E ratio by introducing non-aromatising will counteract estrogenic side effects via the drugs action at the androgen receptor, NOT due to any anti-estrogenic factors.
huh. I have been wondering about this. I have been using masteron when needed but did not understand how it prevented estrogen sides. I just knew it did.

Following

Photos upon waking this morning @ 220.4lbs
d388b30cad844220d7d5426571249190.jpg
e0b580ac1daef01389b3319ed8639bf6.jpg
3143f12bc10a489c6b23a93fb88962a2.jpg

That's a very solid weight for that height. What is your competition weight?

That's a very solid weight for that height. What is your competition weight?

Thank you. I began lifting at this same height at 125lbs! Last time I was contest lean I was 180ish, but I’ve put on at lease 10lbs of tissue since then.

243 men received either testosterone or placebo and took the Cognitive Reflection Test.

Scores were reduced in men receiving testosterone, suggesting a mechanism by which testosterone reduces decision making and judgement.

I think of all future research on AAS, the deleterious psychological effects will likely be the most worrisome.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...istration_Impairs_Cognitive_Reflection_in_Men

Pretty cool study on using trenbolone instead of testosterone in hormone replacement settings.

The rats received 2 mg/kg/day of trenbolone! The equivalent of me taking 200mg of tren base every single day. These doses are meaningless for the most part when comparing to our situation however, due to the huge physiological differences between rats and humans.

In 6 weeks, rats taking trenbolone noted...

- decreased fat mass

- increased lean mass

- reduced serum triglycerides, HDL and LDL

- benign prostate hyperplasia

- no evidence of adverse cardiac or hepatic effects was observed

Hopefully these studies give way for human studies in the future. I am especially interested in the tissue-selective androgenic activity of AAS like tren and their propensity to reduce some risks of long-term TRT, just like we are hoping with new-generation SARMS.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25554582

Hey you never gave me your input on Creatine? Useful? best kind? Best time prewokout?

Right now I just throw 10 grams in my stimul8 before lifting.

Pretty cool study on using trenbolone instead of testosterone in hormone replacement settings.

The rats received 2 mg/kg/day of trenbolone! The equivalent of me taking 200mg of tren base every single day. These doses are meaningless for the most part when comparing to our situation however, due to the huge physiological differences between rats and humans.

In 6 weeks, rats taking trenbolone noted...

- decreased fat mass

- increased lean mass

- reduced serum triglycerides, HDL and LDL

- benign prostate hyperplasia

- no evidence of adverse cardiac or hepatic effects was observed

Hopefully these studies give way for human studies in the future. I am especially interested in the tissue-selective androgenic activity of AAS like tren and their propensity to reduce some risks of long-term TRT, just like we are hoping with new-generation SARMS.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25554582
This one was from 2015, the second phase never went through because of grant money problems. Kinda sucks.

I was going to try cruising on tren only at some point but haven't gotten to it. I did run tren ace/npp only for a bit but had to stop because of a job change. I did notice my brain function a little better with the test included, even at only 100mg weekly

TRT & HEART ATTACKS

This is one that everybody has seen do the rounds... 'Testosterone causes heart attack'. So let's see what the data says.

Rate of myocardial infarction (heart attack) have been compared against 414,000 men treated with testosterone, and hypogonadal men.

No significant correlation was found between men treated with testosterone and heart attack.

Within physiological ranges, testosterone treatment has no cause for concern when it comes to life-long CV health. In fact, TRT has been shown to improve multiple health parameters over the long-term.

We must bare in mind that this research does not look into supra-physiological use, however.

http://www.societaitalianadiendocrinologia.it/public/pdf/bellastellanovembre2017.pdf

In a perfect world, everybody would resistance train.

Here's a great example we can apply to the general population who simply want to lose some fat and are planning to embark on a new exercise regime.

We can see in this study that adding resistance training OR aerobic training largely increased rate of fat loss when compared to diet alone.

I've noticed most individuals in the elderly and/or female population begin walking, jogging, or some aerobic group-based classes at their local gym to try to lose some fat. This is great, any additional form of activity for somebody who was previously sedentary has a tonne of health benefits. (maybe apart from jogging, but that's for another day, lol).

The issue is, this study demonstrates that resistance training allowed the subjects to hold onto their muscle tissue much better than aerobic activity. This being a huge cause for concern for the aforementioned females and/or elderly groups, that should always be a main focus to maintain optimal health as you age.

Basically... eat your protein, resistance train regularly and do some cardio if you care about your long-term health.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/29086504/

Get Shredded!
Obligatory Monday update. New high of 221 this week. 11 weeks into growth phase, 36lbs added. Plan is to keep pushing, I’d love 225lbs this block!
ff8323c71b43123a0d5fb465cba0c08c.jpg
7f11ec90a850a5d0f1f4307f4eb62421.jpg
c6f3ad0b807bd05551d894e54d10f0b3.jpg

One of my first posts years ago as a coach was on the benefits of blueberries for strength and performance. Here's another post on my favourite fruit...

Consuming blueberries alters skeletal muscle and fat PPAR activity & reduces insulin resistance in obese rats.

Past studies have shown...
- blueberry intake correlated to reduces mortality from CV risk and heart disease
- in adults with metabolic syndrome, 350g blueberries per day reduced blood pressure and oxidised LDL
- subjects with metabolic syndrome eating 45g freeze-dried blueberries per day showed improved insulin sensitivity with no changes in body fat or inflammatory markers

Blueberries are a rich source of anthocyanins. Several studies have shown that anthocyanin-rich botanical extracts modify lipid and glucose metabolism via the transcription factor PPAR.

I have posted quite a bit on my love for PPAR agonists (like cardarine) and their mechanisms a few times now, so if you want to dig into that scroll back and you'll find it!

PPAR agonists reduce insulin resistance, stimulate fat metabolism and inhibit fat storage. Everything a physique athlete wants!

This study uses a breed of rat that is bred to pretty much be the typical Western civillian (just a joke), a phenotype that is fat, systemically inflamed, insulin resistant with hyperlipidemia. Thus, being a good test for the ability for PPAR isoform having an effect on these bio-markers.

The rats were divided into groups, some with high carbohydrate diets with or without blueberry powder, and some with high fat diets with or without blueberry powder.

In the high fat diet, the inclusion of blueberries reduced abdominal fat, but not total fat mass or body weight, reduced plasma triglycerides and improved insulin sensitivity.

The high carb diet rats noted all the same benefits, with the addition of reduced total fat mass, reduced liver mass and free fatty acids.

Blueberry intake effected PPAR DNA activity in abdominal fat tissue and skeletal muscle.

Bit of a long one, but I thought this was a cool piece of research breaking down another huge benefit of blueberry consumption, specifically for physique athletes. If you like the idea of more nutrients getting into your muscle cells, and less to the fat cells, along with a tonne of other health benefits, eat some blueberries.

A few staples in my health/digestion arsenal... beef liver pills, beef gelatin and glycine.

In the fitness world, there is a huge emphasis on consumption of high quality protein sources, and rightfully so. However, somewhere along the way, physique athletes drifted over to consuming solely muscle meats, and forgot about organs/tendons/bone etc and the multitude of benefits their consumptions brings.

For somebody who hates the taste of liver and lacks time to make my own bone broths, this little stack is super convenient. I simply pop 4 liver tabs with each meal (10g protein), mix a tablespoon of gelatin with each meal (10g protein) and add 10g glycine to each of my shake meals.

Without dragging this on, as I do intend to post on each of these individually very soon, some benefits you can expect are...
- Gelatine has a high glycine content. Glycine has shown benefits in secreting gastric juices and thus improving digestion.
- Gelatine also contains proline, which along with glycine forms collagen. Collagen promotes joint repair, and skin & nail integrity.
- Of every food source, beef liver is the most nutrient dense I have come across. I honestly would rather see somebody eating beef liver regularly for their micronutrients than rely on a synthetic multi. Greater amounts of active micronutrients, in their active forms, such as folate (not folic acid!).

So, if you are not already, implement these into your daily stack. I absolutely guarantee you will notice an improvement in your digestion, energy and performance.

bc08df89d4386a90fa03491fe938976b.jpg

ALCOHOL BEFORE THE SHOW

No matter what show you go to, you'll see people drinking bottles of wine in the hotel bar the night before, vodka on the day etc.

Traditionally, the idea was to take advantage of some diuretic effect of alcohol and step on stage looking 'dryer', but what does the data say?

There is a diuretic effect of alcohol!

HOWEVER... it only lasts for around 3 hours.

Even worse news, alcohol has an anti-diuretic effect from 6 hours post-consumption that can last up to 12 hours. Therefore, you're likely achieving the complete opposite effect you're after if drinking the night before the show.

Chris came to me a while back with trashed digestion, inability to eat, and the cascade of issues that come from poor gut health both systemically, and on the physique.

Here we are now with perfect digestion, spot on insulin sensitivity, 20lbs heavier, a tonne leaner and eating 6000+ calories per day.

I can’t dig into all of the modalities we have used over our time together, as it would be pages long and incredibly individual. Just wanted to share this one, and I will keep pumping out content on GI health specifically for you guys to hopefully help you along your own journey.
54fa78787cb5d41c0f83852cb2c28e4e.jpg

OPD PODCAST #31

Austin and Kala dig into some common issues females run into through their physique enhancement journey.

PODCAST LINKS

Audio: https://www.jjphysique.com/podcast/2018/7/31/obstacles-of-female-physique-enhancement-ft-kala-duncan

Podcasts App: Optimal Physique Development

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwDgypolfVG3nCfZf_N3XIg

Social Links:

Joe Jeffery​
IG: @joejefferyuk
Email: joejefferyuk@gmail.com
www.jjphysique.com

Austin Stout​
IG: @austinst8
Email: datas4@aol.com
www.integratedmandh.com

Kala Duncan
IG: @theomnifit
www.theomnifit.com

SPONSORS:

Mediphorm Site Enhancement - www.mediphorm.com
The very first of it's kind, highly advanced hyaluronic acid based site enhancement product. Mediphorm is self dispersing (no lumps/clumps/blurring of condition), water based, pharmaceutical grade, and lasts up to 18 months with minimal applications.

Kompak Show Day Essentials - www.kompak.store
From bikini competition suits to jewellery, plastic cups and rice cakes...
KOMPAK helps competitors during the busiest time of their prep by reducing the time and stress related to getting everything you need in place, so that you can focus on what really matters, bringing your best package to the stage.

UK CBD Oil - www.uk-cbdoils.com/
UK CBD Oils is a local business based in Middlesbrough UK that is already operating in the legal cannabis market selling CBD food supplements as an aid to good health. We are a member of the Cannabis Trades Association which represents responsible and ethical companies operating within the law. Use code OP10 for a 10% discount off of all products!

Cool podcast with dr Scott Stevenson.. Honestly a lot of it is over my head but what I did grasp was a very interesting listen.

STRUGGLING WITH APPETITE?

To follow on from yesterday’s post on Chris and digestive issues, here’s one I love to include...

RAW GINGER

I have used ginger in clients suffering with IBS, IBD, SIBO, and also (as in Chris’ case), clients with high caloric intakes struggling to get their food in.

The reason is due to ginger increasing small intestinal motility. Gingerols bind 5-HTP3 receptors in the ENS and modulate serotonin signalling in the gut, leading to increased gastric emptying speeds.

I recommend eating a large pill size chunk of raw ginger prior to each meal.

(Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2008 May;20(5):436-40. doi: 10.1097/MEG.0b013e3282f4b224. Effects of ginger on gastric emptying and motility in healthy humans. Wu KL1, Rayner CK, Chuah SK, Changchien CS, Lu SN, Chiu YC, Chiu KW, Lee CM.)

66ecfee60cf9b2cb008d8d2b2fa95bd3.jpg

OPD PODCAST #32

IFBB Pro Luke Sandoe - Q&A and Mediphorm Chat

Today we sat down with Luke Sandoe to talk shop about a bunch of topics, talk about his new sponsorship with our long-term sponsor Mediphorm and answer you guys questions! We had no set topic in mind and just rambled away, so it's a longer one for you guys this week!

PODCAST LINKS

Audio: https://www.jjphysique.com/podcast/2018/8/3/ifbb-pro-luke-sandoe-qa-and-mediphorm-chat

Podcasts App: Optimal Physique Development

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwDgypolfVG3nCfZf_N3XIg

Social Links:

Joe Jeffery​
IG: @joejefferyuk
Email: joejefferyuk@gmail.com
www.jjphysique.com

Austin Stout​
IG: @austinst8
Email: datas4@aol.com
www.integratedmandh.com

Luke Sandoe
IG:mad:lukesandoe
Email: lukesandoe@gmail.com

SPONSORS:

Mediphorm Site Enhancement - www.mediphorm.com
The very first of it's kind, highly advanced hyaluronic acid based site enhancement product. Mediphorm is self dispersing (no lumps/clumps/blurring of condition), water based, pharmaceutical grade, and lasts up to 18 months with minimal applications.

Kompak Show Day Essentials - www.kompak.store
From bikini competition suits to jewellery, plastic cups and rice cakes...
KOMPAK helps competitors during the busiest time of their prep by reducing the time and stress related to getting everything you need in place, so that you can focus on what really matters, bringing your best package to the stage.

UK CBD Oil - www.uk-cbdoils.com/
UK CBD Oils is a local business based in Middlesbrough UK that is already operating in the legal cannabis market selling CBD food supplements as an aid to good health. We are a member of the Cannabis Trades Association which represents responsible and ethical companies operating within the law. Use code OP10 for a 10% discount off of all products!

Metal Clothing Co.
Metal Clothing Co, a Lifestyle clothing brand ranging from athletic to urban. Hand crafted, artisan made with pride. We start with some big ideas, and settle for cool shirts. Check us out at www.metalclothingco.com. Shipping is free in the US, $10 international

Some awesome feedback from a client of mine just over 6 weeks out from an IFBB classic physique show.

After some experimentation with fluid/electrolyte balance, we finally nailed it.

Performance is up, and look is drastically improved.

Another example why this should be a primary focus of any physique competitor!
30b091643611730bc24e43400e033772.png

Back