• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Deadlift toes pointing outward?

GtrLove23!

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
So, I'm a tall guy at 6'5 and I cant do the conventional deadlift where the toes point forward. Seems like my center of gravity is all off when I do and I end up with less weight.

Is it okay for someone my height to do the sumo deadlift over the conventional deadlift? Are there cons to the way Ive been doing it?

I’m 6’1 all legs and to do a conventional deadlift I keep a narrow stance with my toes pointed far outward like 45 degree angle similar to low bar back squat stance. Toe position is not as important as maintaining a neutral spine, and a straight bar path. Do not worry about the amount of weight but rather keeping yourself tight and controlled and I promise your numbers will sky rocket.

Last edited:
You'll probably be fine, just make sure you're using good form otherwise.

Sumo Deadlifts are a great exercise to add to your routine.

So, I'm a tall guy at 6'5 and I cant do the conventional deadlift where the toes point forward. Seems like my center of gravity is all off when I do and I end up with less weight.

Is it okay for someone my height to do the sumo deadlift over the conventional deadlift? Are there cons to the way Ive been doing it?

Why cant you do them properly?

I prefer sumo I find it doesn’t destroy my back. Conventional gave me issues which all went away by changing to Sumo. I always point both toes out 45 degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I pull conventional and have my toes pointed out. I’ve noticed others that do as well and others that don’t. If it works better for you point them out and stop worrying about it

I prefer sumo I find it doesn’t destroy my back. Conventional gave me issues which all went away by changing to Sumo. I always point both toes out 45 degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It may take strain off your back but distribute this force elsewhere. Possible the knees.

No doubt this movement has put many an individual into early retirement. Deadlifts are not joke.

And being tall means moving that weight thru a greater range.

At about 30* I find I’m more natural and it’s easier to key on my glutes when I grip the platform and “force my toes out”

My height is about 6'5, and it's also hard for me to do the conventional deadlift. I find it more comfortable to do the sumo deadlift.

Back