• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Finding the perfect Buchner Funnel set up

Grizzy

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Hey guys so im thinking to go all glass setup for my filtration because i think the plastic from my top filter are leeching into my brew which is making it cloudly. Just wondering if anyone has one and were they purchased it from.
There are so many and so many options i just want to purchase one set up and be happy with it lol. If you could lead me in the right direction were to find a set up and were you purchase your membrane filters from it would
be greatly appreciated <3 :eek:

Hey guys so im thinking to go all glass setup for my filtration because i think the plastic from my top filter are leeching into my brew which is making it cloudly. Just wondering if anyone has one and were they purchased it from.
There are so many and so many options i just want to purchase one set up and be happy with it lol. If you could lead me in the right direction were to find a set up and were you purchase your membrane filters from it would
Hey Brother I went through the same thing you're going through about 2 years back. The best thing to do honestly is by your setup an individual pieces it's only 3 pieces. The receiver flask, the muncher funnel, and the rubber bung. If you want to shoot me a message on wire or wicker I can try to help you out to the best of my ability because I know how it is to be in your situation. My wire username is Bigmills, and my wickr username is Bigdink.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Hey Brother I went through the same thing you're going through about 2 years back. The best thing to do honestly is by your setup an individual pieces it's only 3 pieces. The receiver flask, the Buncher funnel, and the rubber bung. If you want to shoot me a message I'll try to help you out to the best of my ability because I know how it is to be in your situation..

Hey Brother I went through the same thing you're going through about 2 years back. The best thing to do honestly is by your setup an individual pieces it's only 3 pieces. The receiver flask, the muncher funnel, and the rubber bung. If you want to shoot me a message on wire or wicker I can try to help you out to the best of my ability because I know how it is to be in your situation.

You gotta decide between a two piece buchner with a fritted disk or a one piece buchner with a pore plate. They each have pluses and minuses .

You gotta decide between a two piece buchner with a fritted disk or a one piece buchner with a pore plate. They each have pluses and minuses .
Mind educating me on both I might buy a glad setup just to prefilter my Carrier oil

Mind educating me on both I might buy a glad setup just to prefilter my Carrier oil

The two piece buchners you don't have to custom trim the filters, they use 47 and 50mm filters, they can leak a little and the fritted disk can get clogged over time and is hard to clean and not replaceable. The one piece pore plates are easier to clean, never clog but you have to custom trim each filter membrane to fit, unless you get lucky and find one that fits a standard filter size.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180420-124841_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20180420-124841_eBay.jpg
    644.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot_20180420-124915_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20180420-124915_eBay.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot_20180420-124921_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20180420-124921_eBay.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
Last edited:
The one piece pore plate is the newer style, couple years ago they were all the two piece units with the clamp on ebay, now i don't hardly see those so looks like they're not making them much anymore. They tend to leak where the two pieces are clamped together, not much just a few drops. The filter membrane lays on top of the fritted disk, fritted disk is made of glass particles and acts as a filter but is too coarse by itself. And dont buy a one piece buchner with a fritted disk because youll never get a complete seal, unfiltered solution will leak around the edges.

Don't buy this

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180420-131151_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20180420-131151_eBay.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Also alot of times its easier to buy the pore plate and erylenmeyer flask separately to get the size best for you. For personal use 100ml-250ml flask with 75-150 pore plate is probably all you need

The one piece pore plate is the newer style, couple years ago they were all the two piece units with the clamp on ebay, now i don't hardly see those so looks like they're not making them much anymore. They tend to leak where the two pieces are clamped together, not much just a few drops.
Rehh is right about this. It definitely Leakes wear the filter holder, and pour plate connect to the funnel. I would suggest going with the porcelain buncher funnel, if you really want to spend some money you can get a 2 piece that makes it much easier to clean. If you go with the all-glass take some Teflon tape and wrap it around where the pour plate connects to the filter funnel, and also wear the filter holder connect to the filtering flask. Without doing that you can't really bring your pressure past 15in/hg. Well at least I couldn't some setups might be better than others. However the porcelain buncher funnel and receiver flask and rubber bone is a cheaper way to go, and much faster. I personally think it's also easier to clean and sterilize than a pour plate. This is just my opinion. Most of these guys know much more than me.

IML Gear Cream!
Also alot of times its easier to buy the pore plate and erylenmeyer flask separately to get the size best for you. For personal use 100ml-250ml flask with 75-150 pore plate is probably all you need
That's right I forgot I take my last comment back. You can get the poor plates that insert into the filtering flasks being sealed by a rubber bong instead of the filter clamp. I would think these work much better. Rehh have you ever used one like that what is yours have a clamp? I'm asking because I was thinking about buying a glass buncher funnel with a pour plate?

That's right I forgot I take my last comment back. You can get the poor plates that insert into the filtering flasks being sealed by a rubber bong instead of the filter clamp. I would think these work much better. Rehh have you ever used one like that what is yours have a clamp? I'm asking because I was thinking about buying a glass buncher funnel with a pour plate?

I have both setups, can hardly find the two piece buchners anymore. That blue and green plastic clip is not sealing the 20/40 joint, just holding them together so you could pickup the whole rig by grabbing the buchner and not have them separate.

Last edited:
Also sometimes ive seen two piece buchners with a screen instead of frit, but rare.
No your right brother. I have one of those but it's a stainless steel, and the screen is thick as hell. I don't know what the Porisity is on the screen, but if I had to guess I would say it's less than 1um. I could probably use it as a goddamn pre-filter honestly.lol. the other thing is they're kind of the same as the glass as far as you can only take your pressure to about 15 maybe 17hg before it starts to leak where the funnel connects to the pour plate holder. The good thing about them is they're much easier to clean. I would like to try the Nalgene filter funnels. The filter funnel actually connects to the pour plate or filter holder whatever you want to call it. Therefore I think you can take the pressure much higher. I'm not quite sure how the 2 piece porcelain buncher funnels connect together. I have seen one that uses a magnet, but I don't think it was the Nalgene.

Brother when you get a chance can you check your messages..

Some of the porcelain rigs use a rubber stopper instead of a 20/40 glass to glass joint. Those I see a metal screen instead of fritted disk. Those will work, just dont buy the cheap plastic buchner. I dont have a porcelain rig.

An Erlenmyer with a vacuum nipple means you can use the ceramic non-vacuum type Büchners. (But you have to sterilize the flask) I have a all glass pore plate with vacuum nipple that is 90mm (9cm). I buy the exact sized filter membranes that fit well because the first ring of holes I'd about 10mm in from the edge. A funnel that is 500ml or greater is nice because you can see the product go through and still not have to keep filling it. I use rubber cones between media bottles and Büchner.
This I only use for batches under a liter as I have the pump/filter set up now.

I caution you to either invest in a proper clamp system that holds the neck of the funnel or build something that firmly hold the media bottle. One bump of the vacuum hose and you've got an oily mess.

An Erlenmyer with a vacuum nipple means you can use the ceramic non-vacuum type Büchners. (But you have to sterilize the flask) I have a all glass pore plate with vacuum nipple that is 90mm (9cm). I buy the exact sized filter membranes that fit well because the first ring of holes I'd about 10mm in from the edge. A funnel that is 500ml or greater is nice because you can see the product go through and still not have to keep filling it. I use rubber cones between media bottles and Büchner.
This I only use for batches under a liter as I have the pump/filter set up now.

I caution you to either invest in a proper clamp system that holds the neck of the funnel or build something that firmly hold the media bottle. One bump of the vacuum hose and you've got an oily mess.

hehe you said nipple

Here the porcelain setup with rubber stopper, the rubber never touches the solution, the down stem goes past it.
Yeah I have one of these brother. I actually have 3 of them ?. These are definitely my favorite setups besides capsule filters. I also have all glass set up with a 47mm pour plate which connects to the too funnel 5 by a blue filter funnel clamp, and a 20/40 joint on the top of elymer flask. I also have a 90mm glass set up however the Elymer flask is 2000 ml. o sterilize it is almost impossible I'll leave it in the oven at 400 degrees for 2 hours and the alcohol will still be on the inside. Personally I think by far the porcelain buncher funnel are the best setups. Besides of course capsule filters.

Back