• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Skip's DEXA Scan

Skip Foursome

Gym Derelict
Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Below is my DEXA scan from last month at the 8 week mark on my cut.

DEXA is the acronym for Dual-Energy X-ray Absorptiometry. This is a precision analysis of body composition. As you can see in the report my analysis breaks down every component of my body weight.

On the first page you see the basics of my body composition:
Body Fat
Total Mass
Fat Tissue
Lean Tissue
Bone Mass

Further into the analysis is broken down into sub groups and averages:
Resting Metabolic Rate
Relative Skeletal Muscle Index
Fat Distribution
Visceral Fat Content
Muscle Balance
Bone Density

If you look at the top of the report you will see my weight of 196.1 pounds, that is from the DEXA analysis of my body scan by composition of my body, not from a scale.

I weighed myself at home before I drove to DEXA scan facility and my scale had me at 196.0 pounds.

Incredibly accurate.

BONE DENSITY
If you notice my Z-score is 1.1 which is impressive as I am rated 0.1 higher than the average of a 30 year old and his bone density.

BUT, this type of DEXA Scan is not specific for bone density T-score, this is generic overall Z-Score test for overall density. I previously had a DEXA Scan for specific areas that target density in my hips, femurs and lower spine for T-score results and I had a couple spots that came back at 0.9 on the T-score, so if you are concerned with osteoporosis or osteopenia you need to get the DEXA T-score scan that is specific for osteoporosis analysis.

OTHER BODY FAT MEASURING METHODS
Calipers are okay but according to the guys in the know they are on average 3-5% higher then actual body fat.

Bod Pod is okay but suffers from some of the same issues as calipers as body fat is actually higher than actual.

It is worth noting there are many 'FDA devices' that state they are 'FDA cleared'

That is just saying the FDA does not regulate them, not that they have gone through any three phase trials or FDA approval process.

As an example some of these fake 'FDA cleared' incredibly inaccurate devices are InBody and Tanita. I have seen side by side comparison of InBody with DEXA and Inbody has been lower body fat over the DEXA Scan by a whopping 10%. Same can be said about the Tanita device.

In my opinion it truly is a crime to manufacture and sell something that is total bullshit like these devices.

Anyways, while I have read up on the subject I am not an expert in this sphere so if anyone has anything to offer like their experience, call bullshit, want to add some broscience, agree or disagree feel free to chime in.

Attachments

• DEXA-01.JPG
    DEXA-01.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 180
  • DEXA-02.JPG
    DEXA-02.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 181
  • DEXA-03.JPG
    DEXA-03.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 176
That's really cool.

What did that run you?

also is that red area in the dink area cawk fat?

That's really cool.

What did that run you?

also is that red area in the dink area cawk fat?
$95 for my initial scan and $70 for each scan after, each operator is different but you should not pay much more than that.

Nah man my winky is all muscle.

It's my ball sacks without a doubt :)

$95 for my initial scan and $70 for each scan after, each operator is different but you should not pay much more than that.

Nah man my winky is all muscle.

It's my ball sacks without a doubt :)

Hmm. I should be 0% there after all my abuse :coffee:

But wow, 95 bucks? that's it? I didn't realize they were so cheap.

Hey Skip, I thought you'd just post this in my thread so we could get some others going?

I'll be happy when my BF numbers are much lower but I'm cool with it for now. Now that I've read yours I can compare to the Español version.

Below is my DEXA scan from last month at the 8 week mark on my cut.

DEXA is the acronym for Dual-Energy X-ray Absorptiometry. This is a precision analysis of body composition. As you can see in the report my analysis breaks down every component of my body weight.

On the first page you see the basics of my body composition:
Body Fat
Total Mass
Fat Tissue
Lean Tissue
Bone Mass

Further into the analysis is broken down into sub groups and averages:
Resting Metabolic Rate
Relative Skeletal Muscle Index
Fat Distribution
Visceral Fat Content
Muscle Balance
Bone Density

If you look at the top of the report you will see my weight of 196.1 pounds, that is from the DEXA analysis of my body scan by composition of my body, not from a scale.

I weighed myself at home before I drove to DEXA scan facility and my scale had me at 196.0 pounds.

Incredibly accurate.

BONE DENSITY
If you notice my Z-score is 1.1 which is impressive as I am rated 0.1 higher than the average of a 30 year old and his bone density.

BUT, this type of DEXA Scan is not specific for bone density T-score, this is generic overall Z-Score test for overall density. I previously had a DEXA Scan for specific areas that target density in my hips, femurs and lower spine for T-score results and I had a couple spots that came back at 0.9 on the T-score, so if you are concerned with osteoporosis or osteopenia you need to get the DEXA T-score scan that is specific for osteoporosis analysis.

OTHER BODY FAT MEASURING METHODS
Calipers are okay but according to the guys in the know they are on average 3-5% higher then actual body fat.

Bod Pod is okay but suffers from some of the same issues as calipers as body fat is actually higher than actual.

It is worth noting there are many 'FDA devices' that state they are 'FDA cleared'

That is just saying the FDA does not regulate them, not that they have gone through any three phase trials or FDA approval process.

As an example some of these fake 'FDA cleared' incredibly inaccurate devices are InBody and Tanita. I have seen side by side comparison of InBody with DEXA and Inbody has been lower body fat over the DEXA Scan by a whopping 10%. Same can be said about the Tanita device.

In my opinion it truly is a crime to manufacture and sell something that is total bullshit like these devices.

Anyways, while I have read up on the subject I am not an expert in this sphere so if anyone has anything to offer like their experience, call bullshit, want to add some broscience, agree or disagree feel free to chime in.
Thanks for sharing skip. This is great info and im certain many will wanna get this done. I would of thought it would cost much more also.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting the results of your scan. You say this is 8 weeks in on cut where do you think you started bf%?

Looks like pricing for these scans is similar in my area after checking.

Thanks for posting the results of your scan. You say this is 8 weeks in on cut where do you think you started bf%?

Looks like pricing for these scans is similar in my area after checking.
I was an estimated 22-24% body fat at the start which was an estimate by me and coach I was using.
Pics of 12% bf please do everyone can know what it really looks like.
I can do that.

That is 12% bodyfat in my avi.

I am in between travel locations but let me see what I can do tomorrow.

Guys would be shocked at what 8% body fat really looks like when using DEXA scan.

8% body fat on a DEXA scan is ridiculously peeled.

I was an estimated 22-24% body fat at the start which was an estimate by me and coach I was using.

I can do that.

That is 12% bodyfat in my avi.

I am in between travel locations but let me see what I can do tomorrow.

Guys would be shocked at what 8% body fat really looks like when using DEXA scan.

8% body fat on a DEXA scan is ridiculously peeled.

Dam youve dropped roughly 10% bodyfat thats quite stellar. What does your cycle consist of? Mainly diet change and added cardio? Very nice results

IML Gear Cream!
Before picture on January 7th and after picture March 7th, so basically 8 weeks.

After picture was the morning I got the DEXA scan.

Current stats are:
Height: 6-2
Weight: 196.0

These are relaxed pose so cut me some slack :)

I came back from a shoulder injury in the fall of last year and took a lot of time off from the gym until mid-December when I cranked it back up again.

I have severe damage to both, especially to my right shoulder. No cartilage, the top of my humerus is worn flat and angular on the sides with bone spurs to boot. I eventually need reconstruction surgery but I am putting it off for now.

Diet is Keto. I swore I would never use Keto as I always viewed only useful or needed for fat asses or people with a metabolism of a tortoise :)

One thing is I am very flat on this type of meal plan. Seemed like other cuts I did with carbs I was not as flat.

I ran 500mg of TIPP with 300mg of Mast-P for nearly 8 weeks. I will say the Mast-P really shined on this cut over others I have run and think I am going to use more often in the future.

I am still on a cut but temporarily on hold as I have been and continue to travel this month. My goal is to get to 8% body fat next month then start a bulk.

My end goal is to be 210-215 pounds and <10% body fat.

Attachments

• After-01.jpg
    After-01.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 65
  • Before-01.jpg
    Before-01.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 64
Good info, thank you

SKIP :) You look AMAZEBALLS !!!!!!! Nice work

And what an awesome representation for us old farts ;)
Thanks Mr. R

It was not pretty in the beginning. The training is very fast paced with short breaks between sets and higher reps to failure. In the beginning and between reps I would be standing but bent over with my elbows resting on top of my knees completely winded I was so out of shape.

I never looked to see but I bet a lot of guys in the gym were looking at me funny :)

I think I was sore for a good four weeks before I acclimated to the level of training.

Dam nice skip making 60 look solid as shit. At my gym we call that grandpa grainy! Lets see you hit a true 8. Youve motivated me to go get one of these scans. Thanks
Thank you, I have been a grandpa for 8 months now, a late start but getting used to it :)

Big props to you for being that badass at 60 Skip.
Thank you Crue, getting old is just an excuse for pussys and quitters :)

I coached Skip during this cut. His attention to detail and work ethic are what helped him achieve these results as he stuck to the plan.

A coach is only as good as the clients willingness to follow the plan.

He did an excellent job !

I coached Skip during this cut. His attention to detail and work ethic are what helped him achieve these results as he stuck to the plan.

A coach is only as good as the clients willingness to follow the plan.

He did an excellent job !

For those that do not know Mr. Green is a competitive body builder and has worked with the top coaches in the country.

His experience and knowledge coming from such a high level was used to help me get where I am.

Lots of science involved with meal.plan and the tweaking that goes along with adding more cardio, changing the meal plan when I started to stall or adding carbs to recharge my metabolism.

Get Shredded!
What is even more impressive, which I am sure younger folks won't understand until they are there/here, is that aging is exponential. It is for me at least.
I felt and looked great at 45. Between 45 and 46 I aged two years. 46 and 47, three years and so on. Perhaps due to the crazy amount of trauma to my body but I really think it's just how aging is.
To look as good as you do at 60 is truly impressive!

Back