PDA

View Full Version : mass gainer immediately before bed?

presstons
03-05-2013, 03:26 PM
i've been drinking a full serving of True Mass (700 cal/90g carb) immediately before i fall asleep and another about an hour after breakfast (oatmeal or egg whites and grits).

i'm pretty sure i've gained a significant amount of fat (which was not my hope).

my questions are..is this a bad strategy to put on muscle? am i only going to get "bad" weight from drinking the before bed shake?

opinions?

thanks

Heavy hitter
03-05-2013, 03:49 PM
Your body will go catabolic at night so you should eat cottage cheese or a casien shake before bed so your body will have something to eat. Then try to schedule the other power shake after your workout and in the am.

presstons
03-05-2013, 04:40 PM
thanks, would you assume the weight i'm gaining by doing this is all fat?

Heavy hitter
03-05-2013, 05:29 PM
No its not all fat but. With your body asleep you really don't burn a lot of calories so the power shake isn't doing as much as it could say first thing in the am or after a workout. If you are getting fat its not because you added a Couple of shakes to your diet. I would bet your diet could use some work all over. Give me a typical days diet your age weight height and goals and maybe I could push you in a new direction.

Nocode8511
03-06-2013, 03:25 PM
I would try to work my gainer shakes before and after my workout.

presstons
03-06-2013, 04:15 PM
heavy--

Meal - oatmeal or egg whites with grits
Snack - mass gainer shake
Meal - salmon or chicken or ground turkey with rice and steamed veggies
Snack - cottage cheese with greek yogurt and raw almonds
Snack - protein bar or low cal protein shake (before workout)
Post workout shake (ON Gold Standard Whey)
Meal - chipotle burrito bowl w/ brown rice/black beans/double chicken/pinch of cheese
Snack before bed - mass gainer shake

Sometimes, if i get the opportunity i will be able to get another full meal in before my workout (time permitting).

I am 26 yrs old..5'7"..160lbs..9% BF

My goal is to be 175lbs @ 8% BF.

I'm open to all the help i can get..let me know what you think..

Liquidex
03-06-2013, 05:21 PM
shake before bed = piss at 4 in the mornig = cant stand on that shit

Good old steak and bowl of rice does it for me before sleep

Heavy hitter
03-06-2013, 05:54 PM
heavy--

Meal - oatmeal or egg whites with grits
Snack - mass gainer shake
Meal - salmon or chicken or ground turkey with rice and steamed veggies
Snack - cottage cheese with greek yogurt and raw almonds
Snack - protein bar or low cal protein shake (before workout)
Post workout shake (ON Gold Standard Whey)
Meal - chipotle burrito bowl w/ brown rice/black beans/double chicken/pinch of cheese
Snack before bed - mass gainer shake

Sometimes, if i get the opportunity i will be able to get another full meal in before my workout (time permitting).

I am 26 yrs old..5'7"..160lbs..9% BF

My goal is to be 175lbs @ 8% BF.

I'm open to all the help i can get..let me know what you think..

This is pretty close to what I do daily. I am maintaining my size and cutting fat with this diet but Not really gaining any. I have about 65 lbs on you also so with those calories you could make some pretty lean gains. This at a glance looks like about 3000 calories or so. If you stay on this diet for a month see were you at if you are not growing up the calorie intake. If you are liking the results stay on. You seem like you are heading in the right direction. Feel free to inbox me with any questions bro.

KD35
03-06-2013, 06:11 PM
If you're wanting to gain weight I would suggest to not worry about putting a lil bit of fat on. Get as big as you can, bf% increasing is part of the process. Get to like 185 or 190 and then once you get there cut down to a lean shredded 175.

JuicedUpMuscle
03-12-2013, 10:05 AM
I would create my own mass shake. Too much garbage in the weight gainers these days. A little protein powder, bananas, peanut butter, fruit, omega3 will create a nice mass shake.

GSRacer
03-12-2013, 10:32 AM
I think a weight gainer shake is ideal before bed. Sleep time is growth time

Gs442
03-12-2013, 04:36 PM
I add heavy whipping cream in my mass shakes cause each tablespoon has like 200 cals easy way to bump it up a little

Valkyrie
03-12-2013, 06:36 PM
Coconut oil is another quick calorie addition.

Outofmind
06-22-2013, 10:23 PM
Take a serving of caseine instead. Casein takes 6-8 hours to digest so your body won't feed off your hard earned gains.

orange24
06-22-2013, 10:40 PM
Coconut oil is another quick calorie addition.

Yep yep. My advice too... a table spoon of cream isn't 200 cals either

Alpha Dog
06-23-2013, 04:05 AM
I take a casein shake with bcaa before bed. Use to eat a bunch of cottage cheese but the shake is much easier.

Bulk-N-Mass
07-11-2013, 09:48 PM
I blew thre 2 tubs of True Mass. I researched it with a few other mass gainers and truthfully theres so much trash and garbage in them I dont see why anyone purchases them. Agreeing with juicedupmuscle on that one.

GSRacer
07-11-2013, 10:58 PM
I blew th e 2 tubs of True Mass. I researched it with a few other mass gainers and truthfully theres so much trash and garbage in them I dont see why anyone purchases them. Agreeing with juicedupmuscle on that one.

So true.The vast majority of protein powder supps are not ideal for quality, healthy gains, and getting your protein through meals only is ideal, but not practical for many. It took me 7 years of lifting before Inlearnednhoeblwbto gain without using protein shakes, and if your diet isn't totally dialed in, mass gainers are better than calorie deficits....from a BBing perspective....

Gymratt
07-17-2013, 11:47 AM
MAke your own shake with 1 cup quick oats, 2-3 tbps of almod butter, and a protein whey blend (Add in strawberries or bananas for micros). Stop wasting your money

ironman
07-29-2013, 11:19 AM
most definitely