• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Is this a stupid idea

Raped Ape

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
I plan on doing some home brewing and using my small office I plan to put clear plastic to enclose an area to brew in, to keep the air clean I was thinking of getting a Merv 15 hvac filter and taping it to a box fan at low speed I saw a video where a lower rating lowered the air particles 90%

could this work in place of a flow hood?

I plan to buy a ream of sterile unsealed vials and leave them upside down until I grab one to fill, and I’m obv. Going to use all the other sterilization techniques and make sure everything is sterile

using syringe filters into sterile vials is a pain

I think this is over thinking...

Buy sealed sterile vials and filter into them. Or decrimp/recrimp if you sell or need a finished looking vial when done.

People and their "room particulate" obsession....
If you do anything, get some sort of laminar flow thing going. DIY shit is rampant on YouTube and the internet. I just bought a 2'x2' filter on eBay for $200. Build a box and get a blower fan like one of those carpet dryers and you are miles ahead of most home brewers. Build on you system from there. I used to buy presterilized vials but they became too expensive. I now buy pre washed, ready for sterilization packs of 179 for $60. Open them in front of the laminar flow, put in oven bags in numbers useable to you and bake this bitches at 400f. Good to go.

If you buy sterile vials and open them to atmosphere, you have already inoculated them with whatever is airborne. Waste of money without some sort of HEPA laminar flow.

Few decades ago there were no disposable syringes.

They were all glass and re-usable.

Family doctors and nurses would boil them and they were good to go.

I cook my vials in a pressure cooker, then rinse with alcohol, stoppers too. Then put them in a pouch of aluminum foil and into the oven until dry. Close them while still hot. Secure stoppers with tape and filter into vial. Crimp vial then back to the pressure cooker for 20 minutes. Never had issues.

Few decades ago there were no disposable syringes.

They were all glass and re-usable.

Family doctors and nurses would boil them and they were good to go.

I cook my vials in a pressure cooker, then rinse with alcohol, stoppers too. Then put them in a pouch of aluminum foil and into the oven until dry. Close them while still hot. Secure stoppers with tape and filter into vial. Crimp vial then back to the pressure cooker for 20 minutes. Never had issues.

A few decades ago a lot more people died of sepsis, too. But yeah, you’re essentially triple-sterilizing yours, so they’d be good to go :)

People and their "room particulate" obsession....
If you do anything, get some sort of laminar flow thing going. DIY shit is rampant on YouTube and the internet. I just bought a 2'x2' filter on eBay for $200. Build a box and get a blower fan like one of those carpet dryers and you are miles ahead of most home brewers. Build on you system from there. I used to buy presterilized vials but they became too expensive. I now buy pre washed, ready for sterilization packs of 179 for $60. Open them in front of the laminar flow, put in oven bags in numbers useable to you and bake this bitches at 400f. Good to go.

If you buy sterile vials and open them to atmosphere, you have already inoculated them with whatever is airborne. Waste of money without some sort of HEPA laminar flow.
Well my thinking really was to turn the 5’x4’ area into a “flow hood” basically. Now correct me if I’m wrong but basically the flow hood is just blowing filtered air over your work area and over your vials so I was figuring using a Merv 16-20 filter and a box fan would be the equivalent, it would just be filtering all the air from the small space rather then just what I’m working over and this would not have to blow air over my work

I think this is over thinking...

Buy sealed sterile vials and filter into them. Or decrimp/recrimp if you sell or need a finished looking vial when done.

Not selling, personal use only just want a decent sized stash of gear I know is dosed proper and clean. So are you suggesting buying already sterile vials and go from receiver bottles to sterile vials via a 60ml sterile syringe, wouldn’t this be opening the sterile oil to the air?

Well my thinking really was to turn the 5’x4’ area into a “flow hood” basically. Now correct me if I’m wrong but basically the flow hood is just blowing filtered air over your work area and over your vials so I was figuring using a Merv 16-20 filter and a box fan would be the equivalent, it would just be filtering all the air from the small space rather then just what I’m working over and this would not have to blow air over my work

Not selling, personal use only just want a decent sized stash of gear I know is dosed proper and clean. So are you suggesting buying already sterile vials and go from receiver bottles to sterile vials via a 60ml sterile syringe, wouldn’t this be opening the sterile oil to the air?

you’re kind of wrong :)

it doesn’t simply blow filtered air over your workspace. It actually controls airflow in your workspace to create an air barrier between the area outside the hood and the area inside the hood (laminar flow) or to ensure that the pressure inside the hood is higher than outside, so that contaminated air goes out, but in a controlled way - you don’t want a blast of filtered air pointed at your product, because it’s virtually impossible to remove 100% of contaminants and particulate from the air. Generally in a flow hood the airflow over your workspace itself is close to nonexistent, and the air instead flows over the front and/or back of the hood (depending on the type of hood).

Put HEPA filterS over the entire wall of a room and put a massive blower forcing air through them. Now on the opposite wall have a open area slightly smaller in surface than the HEPA wall with basic high grade furnace filters. You room is now a "hood".
Honestly man, don't be trying so hard to figure out what has already been done a thousand + times.
You can google diy laminar flow but here's a link to a super simple and economical solution.

http://freshcapmushrooms.com/learn/keeping-it-clean-how-to-design-and-build-a-laminar-flow-hood/

BTW, I just bought a 3' bad ass proper hood for $300 from a university surplus. I don't need it but at that price I couldn't resist.
View attachment 33025
(Fuck me if I can't figure out this pic posting thing. I used to just attach, then that stopped working. This image is 750x750 pixels. That's too big?!?)

IML Gear Cream!
You laughing at me bro?

Put HEPA filterS over the entire wall of a room and put a massive blower forcing air through them. Now on the opposite wall have a open area slightly smaller in surface than the HEPA wall with basic high grade furnace filters. You room is now a "hood".
Honestly man, don't be trying so hard to figure out what has already been done a thousand + times.
You can google diy laminar flow but here's a link to a super simple and economical solution.

http://freshcapmushrooms.com/learn/keeping-it-clean-how-to-design-and-build-a-laminar-flow-hood/

BTW, I just bought a 3' bad ass proper hood for $300 from a university surplus. I don't need it but at that price I couldn't resist.
View attachment 33025
(Fuck me if I can't figure out this pic posting thing. I used to just attach, then that stopped working. This image is 750x750 pixels. That's too big?!?)
i guess that gives new meaning to “I’m from the hood”

ok im starting to understand a little more now, now you’ve got me thinking. By the time I’m done I’m gonna have a nicer setup then most UGL’s for 50 vials

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 33025
i guess that gives new meaning to “I’m from the hood”

ok im starting to understand a little more now, now you’ve got me thinking. By the time I’m done I’m gonna have a nicer setup then most UGL’s for 50 vials

You can diy a flow good on the cheap and not have to worry about making a sterile room. You have to remember that that room has dust and any time you stir up dust it will be inside you air space and blown through the air .

I buy unsterile bottles and stoppers and use dry heat only . Buy a 100.00 toaster oven . Wash the vials , stoppers in alachol . Put open side up on a cookie sheet . 250’for 1 hour . I read a study where this temp for a longer time killed more microbial bacteria. Transfer to your flow hood covered in a sterile sheet from any medical supply and there you go.

Always remember that water is full of germs . We can injest them but you cannot inject them . Boiling your vials is an old and outdated way to do things . I would never subject my hormone in a vial to the temp inside a pressure cooker either . Who knows what that will do to it . If everything else is done right there is no need .

View attachment 33025

That's funny, he used Novatek Novair 2000 air scrubber filters, I have those units already that I use for remediation. Although mine are setup as negative air instead of positive in a flow hood.

Back