• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Any tips on what fish to buy?

Hex Mad House

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
I don’t know anything about fish. I’ve only eaten salmon and swordfish steak. Hated fish as a kid, no problems now. I have a great fresh seafood store near me where everything is wild caught, but I have no clue what has the best omegas, protein, flavor etc...
What kind of fish do you buy?

cod is the best for bodybuilding. but the taste is shit. tilapia is good for cutting, shrimp too.

whitefish cause an insulin bump which may be desirable to you from an anabolic point of view. they’re somewhat unique from this point of view since not many protein sources have this potential benefit. additionally, they’re typically low in fat which may benefit your diet.

so yeah, cod. ;)

Last edited:
I don’t know where you are located so don’t know what local fish they are catching but grouper or halibut is good

I agree, HJ, Cod tastes like shit. If cost is not an issue, I prefer Orange Roughy, but it runs about $16/lb and it can be hard to locate.

Mahi Mahi from Costco is the shit. I cook it with some garlic and ginger and jasmine rice. gtg

You poor bastards. I make exception to my vegan diet when I go out for sushi once a week. Tuna, yellowtail and Amber jack that was swimming earlier in the day or maybe the day before.
I hate cooked fish mostly but we get Spanish mackerel brought to us from friends who catch it off the beach that morning. Deeeelicious!

What the nutritional specs on robalo/snook? Tasty as well.

I like haddock, pollack, and like Touareg I prefer orange roughy, but I can't easily find it (plus it's expensive). I think cod is ok. Flounder is the one that is so bland and tasteless to me, and not filling at all. Good wil caought salmon almost tastes like steak in comparison.

if you dont know anything about fish chances are you wont cook it well and its not gonna taste good, try smoked salmon you wont need to cook it and you can put it on a bagel or salad

I hate cooked fish mostly but we get Spanish mackerel brought to us from friends who catch it off the beach that morning. Deeeelicious!
That brings back memories. My late father lived on the gulf coast side of Florida. When I visited we would always fish for Spanish mackerel, yummy.

IML Gear Cream!
cod is the best for bodybuilding. but the taste is shit. tilapia is good for cutting, shrimp too.

I literally just bought Cod yesterday. Was 14 bucks for the piece I got.

Cooked it up last night and took it to work today. Everyone bitched about the fishy smell. It did smell fishy but didn't taste bad in that way...still I tossed what I didn't eat just to be safe.

Salmon is something I like a lot and easy to cook.

Love Octopus.

Oh, once had a girl who had a pussy that smelled like fish. I was young and thought that was just how it was. :nono:

Yeah, I’ll never ever eat tilapia. I work with a guy who used to work in Thailand at a tilapia farm that grows them for export to the US. In order to not have to spend money on food to feed them, they’d use shit from Thailand’s version of the Dons John that are kept for the workers to use. That is the full diet of tilapia...human feces. This dude will eat anything too, but he doesn’t touch tilapia. Good enough for me to avoid it at all costs.

Great suggestions! I’ll have to try a few out and see. I live in Northern Virginia, where DC, MD and VA all meet. The Wharf and Fish Market in DC have legit fresh seafood. Have a Costco near me too.
I’ll see what I can find in my area and see how it tastes. 👍

Yeah, I’ll never ever eat tilapia. I work with a guy who used to work in Thailand at a tilapia farm that grows them for export to the US. In order to not have to spend money on food to feed them, they’d use shit from Thailand’s version of the Dons John that are kept for the workers to use. That is the full diet of tilapia...human feces. This dude will eat anything too, but he doesn’t touch tilapia. Good enough for me to avoid it at all costs.

Great suggestions! I’ll have to try a few out and see. I live in Northern Virginia, where DC, MD and VA all meet. The Wharf and Fish Market in DC have legit fresh seafood. Have a Costco near me too.
I’ll see what I can find in my area and see how it tastes. 👍

I grew up in NoVa. Moved away 35 years ago, but the Wharf and Fishermen Market was there even back then. Totally legit seafood mainly from the Chesapeake Bay. Spent many Saturday nights getting a bushel of live blue crabs, and feasting with some cold ones. Haven't had those in years.

About the only fish I eat is salmon. Then lobster, shrimp, and crab of course..

I grew up in NoVa. Moved away 35 years ago, but the Wharf and Fishermen Market was there even back then. Totally legit seafood mainly from the Chesapeake Bay. Spent many Saturday nights getting a bushel of live blue crabs, and feasting with some cold ones. Haven't had those in years.

Yep, been here almost my whole life, besides a few years in Myrtle Beach and in San Antonio. Im almost 47. There’s some legit seafood places but those are the best and cheapest which is a great combo.

Tilapia eat the shit of fish that eat shit. Biologically it really doesn't matter but I can't get past it.

so do all shellfish but everyone eats lobster, crabs and shrimp.

I’ll see what I can find in my area and see how it tastes. 
I find it highly unlikely Costco buys Tilapia from a fish farm that has fish swimming in human shit.

No way.

I don't like Tilapia but that is just a preference.

Get Shredded!
Costco buys it’s tilapia from a farm in Mexico that is watched pretty intensely. I will keep eating it cause it works.

salmon for bulking, white albacore tuna for cutting. salmon is too fatty imo for cutting. orange roughy is REALLY hard to find here but there's a place that gives me a call when they get it flown in once a month, worth the price for sure! I'm a big fan of grouper as well but that's even harder to find here than the orange roughy.

You should see the list that can be sold as a totally unrelated species. It blew my mind so bad I don't ever want to see it again. There were something like 30+ species of fish that can be sold a grouper alone.
Swai is a fucking catfish but because it doesn't meow or something, it is sold as something else. Here they call it "bassa" which I think most people think means bass.
The bars that sell fish and chips here use it and I can smell the dirt odor before it his the bar. Nasty!

Costco has a great selection of frozen fish imo. We used to buy the sole, snook and tuna medallions.

a lot of costco brand products are actually higher quality than some of the brand names they're "imitating". there have been several investigative journalism pieces done on it as well as multiple stories from costco employees and people contracted by costco that support this.

if you dont know anything about fish chances are you wont cook it well and its not gonna taste good, try smoked salmon you wont need to cook it and you can put it on a bagel or salad

Love the stuff but usually packed with sodium.

You should see the list that can be sold as a totally unrelated species. It blew my mind so bad I don't ever want to see it again. There were something like 30+ species of fish that can be sold a grouper alone.
Swai is a fucking catfish but because it doesn't meow or something, it is sold as something else. Here they call it "bassa" which I think most people think means bass.
The bars that sell fish and chips here use it and I can smell the dirt odor before it his the bar. Nasty!

Costco has a great selection of frozen fish imo. We used to buy the sole, snook and tuna medallions.

You get snook at Costco I live in SF and catch them in brackish water. I thought it's a game fish and didn't know you can buy it.

Back