• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Intra Workout Carbs As I Understand Them

Montego

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
So I brought up carbs intra workout and referenced molecular weight. I'm going to write this out as simply as I can so it's easy to understand. This will kinda be a simplified intra workout carb refrence and what you may want to look at. I'm no scientist but, this is how I can best describe them.

So, it's pretty well known that in the recovery process your body will try to uptake amino acids into the cell after you have damaged the muscle from training. This is how we repair muscle tissue and grow.

Your body will shuttle nutrients to the cells without the introduction of carbs but, carbs aid in the process tremendously since they are used as the body's primary fuel source, unless, you're keto adapted then fats will likely be used first.

Each carb has different properties which are often referred to as simple or complex in the rate at which they are digested. A "simple" carb, like sugar, has a lower molecular weight (around 340 ) while a "complex" carb like a Highly Branched Cyclic Dextrin has a high molecular weight (around 400000 ). So why is this important? Molecular weight basically refers to how quickly the carb is digested or how long it sustains release.

Another thing to consider is Osmotic Pressure or how quickly the carb bypasses the gut and gets into the small intestine where it can be absorbed. Carbs like Waxy Maize, Maltodextrin and potato Starch have a very high Osmotic Pressure which is why they tend to sit in your stomach and can make you feel bloated while HBCD has a low pressure which leads to quicker gut emptying and less issues, typically, with bloating.

Preferably, you want a carb that has low Osmotic Pressure and a high molecular weight. This means it will get to where it can be absorbed quickly but, due to the high molecular it's release is sustained over a longer period of time. This means, carbs faster and for longer. Sounds prefect for intra workout doesn't it?

Few other notes. Electrolytes and Hydration. Both of these are very important. A solid electrolyte formula will also aid in the Hydration of cells which in turn, will help transport the aminos you're trying to force into the muscle. Couple this with pump agents such as agmatine and Citrulline and you'll be a cramming tons of nutrient rich blood through your system and quickening the recovery process by being a step ahead during training.

I left things out so, please ask if something isn't clear.

A visual for how these carbs vary.

Imagine two cactus leaves.

One has very few needles on it that are large (dextrose) .

The other has millions of small needles (HBCD) .

The needles are the carb molecules that you need to uptake for energy and nutrient partitioning.

These two leaves are going through your small intestine where the needles are being plucked off for the above purposes.

The dextrose needles are going to easily stick with a large spike in insulin but, they will be gone quickly while the HBCD will also stick easily but, no huge spikes in insulin and for a much longer duration.

I'm so huge, errrbody wishes they were me.

So what has low osmotic pressure but a higher molecular weight? Or are you suggesting a blend as some do with proteins for "sustained release"?

The cactus analogy was sort of bizarre, except that I love cacti.

Intra workout carbs shouldnt be necessary if your resistance training is less than an hour providing that you are eating a proper pre workout meal rich in carbohydrates. Your muscles (depending on conditioning ) can store around 1600 calories of glycogen... more than enough for an average workout.
Resistance training has an insulin effect so the idea of trying to get carbs into your system quicker sounds good in theory but havent seen any studies to show a significant advantage. Remenber that muscles take up nutrients gradually so rushing the process can have unwanted results like hypoglycemia and fat storage.

Last edited:
Intra workout carbs shouldnt be necessary if your resistance training is less than an hour providing that you are eating a proper pre workout meal rich in carbohydrates. Your muscles (depending on conditioning ) can store around 1600 calories of glycogen... more than enough for an average workout.
Resistance training has an insulin effect so the idea of trying to get carbs into your system quicker sounds good in theory but havent seen any studies to show a significant advantage. Remenber that muscles take up nutrients gradually so rushing the process can have unwanted results like hypoglycemia and fat storage.

I agree with this. Marathon vs sprint mentality. I believe a lot of these theories are created in an effort to sell supplements...and in most cases they do because people want to believe there is a secret, or a shorter path between point A and point B.

I don't drink carb drinks. Don't believe they are necessary. Like TV said mostly a gimmick to sale more shit to the gullible. I don't use pre workouts anymore either and there is no difference.

I don't drink carb drinks. Don't believe they are necessary. Like TV said mostly a gimmick to sale more shit to the gullible. I don't use pre workouts anymore either and there is no difference.

Pics of your current physique plz.

I will stick to what works.....

So what has low osmotic pressure but a higher molecular weight? Or are you suggesting a blend as some do with proteins for "sustained release"?

HCBD, strictly for intra-workout. When you get home have a post-workout meal, lots of carbs, good protein, no fat. Example: jasmine rice and lean steak.

Hugh, what is your routine pre-workout if you don't mind answering?

Hugh, what is your routine pre-workout if you don't mind answering?

wake up at 410am. by 430 am Ive eaten 2/3 cup oats & 16oz egg whites. keep drinking water to rehydrate. At gym by 5am to train.

Cluster Dextrin does.

Due to its make up, there are thousands of "cones" on its surface that are unlike other carb sources. These cones make it unique in that regard

Back