• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Lower Lats

georgemichael

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Hey fellas just curious if there are any exercises beside the hammer machine lower back row that will really get that flare on the lower lats.
Any thoughts?

Rows of all kinds bar,dumbbell, cable and tbar. Overall back thickness comes from deadlifts imo.

Lower lats? Please let's not go there, again...

Anyone got any movements that target the inner pecs? How about the lower biceps? Anyone?

Lower lats? Please let's not go there, again...

Anyone got any movements that target the inner pecs? How about the lower biceps? Anyone?
For arguments sake, do you not believe you can place a higher load on a certain part of a muscle, namely larger ones like the lats and rectus femoris?

For arguments sake, do you not believe you can place a higher load on a certain part of a muscle, namely larger ones like the lats and rectus femoris?

Not the upper lats vs the lower lats, regardless of what Mike Matarazzo says...

If you look at the direction the muscle fibers travel within the lat it's not possible to stimulate only one particular part of a muscle fiber. The stimulus fires equally across the entire path of that muscle fiber. The muscle fibers of the latissimus doors travel almost vertically so it's impossible to stimulate only the bottom (or top) of these muscle fibers. There are MRI studies out there that prove this.

250px-Latissimus_dorsi.PNG

It's the same as the inner pec vs outer pec argument. The muscle fibers in the pectorals major and minor travel horizontally, so to say one can target a stimulus on inner pecs over outer pecs (or vice versa) is absolute nonsense. If anyone is able to do this then you have one HELL of a mind/muscle connection. Show me a bodybuilder that has disproportionally developed inner pecs when compared to his outer pecs and I will support this theory.

Now what I can say is that by changing your angle of incline on your pressing movements it's possible to place more stress on lower/middle/upper parts of the pectorals, especially major vs minor, but this is pretty common knowledge, which is the reason for doing incline, flat, and decline pressing movements when training chest.

If we're talking about the quadriceps, or more specifically, the rectus femoris, which is only one muscle within the quadriceps, yes, I do think it's possible to isolate or target individual muscles within the quad, which is why my quad training involves so many different angles and foot positions. What I will say is that it is not possible to isolate the upper vs lower part of the rectus femoris.

*Regarding my Mike Matarazzo comment above. I said that because there's a training video out there where he recommends a particular movement for targeting the lower lats and most think that if Mike Matarazzo said it, it has to be true...

If you look at the direction the muscle fibers travel within the lat it's not possible to stimulate only one particular part of a muscle fiber. The stimulus fires equally across the entire path of that muscle fiber. The muscle fibers of the latissimus doors travel almost vertically so it's impossible to stimulate only the bottom (or top) of these muscle fibers. There are MRI studies out there that prove this.

It's the same as the inner pec vs outer pec argument. The muscle fibers in the pectorals major and minor travel horizontally, so to say one can target a stimulus on inner pecs over outer pecs (or vice versa) is absolute nonsense. If anyone is able to do this then you have one HELL of a mind/muscle connection. Show me a bodybuilder that has disproportionally developed inner pecs when compared to his outer pecs and I will support this theory.

Now what I can say is that by changing your angle of incline on your pressing movements it's possible to place more stress on lower/middle/upper parts of the pectorals, especially major vs minor, but this is pretty common knowledge, which is the reason for doing incline, flat, and decline pressing movements when training chest.

If we're talking about the quadriceps, or more specifically, the rectus femoris, which is only one muscle within the quadriceps, yes, I do think it's possible to isolate or target individual muscles within the quad, which is why my quad training involves so many different angles and foot positions. What I will say is that it is not possible to isolate the upper vs lower part of the rectus femoris.

*Regarding my Mike Matarazzo comment above. I said that because there's a training video out there where he recommends a particular movement for targeting the lower lats and most think that if Mike Matarazzo said it, it has to be true...

Perfect.
Well done.

Good info and thanks for sharing this. I do like that lower lat hammer machine and it really hits the whole lat not just the lower part.

Back