• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Training vs. Overtraining

CompoundLifts31

Board Rep
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
In people's opinions, I'm wondering when y'all think training becomes overtraining?

I've been sore more than 48 hours on several occasions. I'm wondering if I'm doing too much? On a side note, I'm not currently on any AAS at all.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Signs of over training:

Lack of progress.
Diminished desire to train.
Injuries.

Since ur training without aas you will need more recovery time. If that’s u in avi lookin great bro good job.

It's generally better to undertrain than overtrain. If you don't recover, you don't grow. And it's very individual too, so don't replicate anyone's workouts. Find what works best for you.

Myself, I prefer higher frequency with lower intensity and a constant progression.

i don't really believe in true overtraining. i believe in a combo of improper nutrition and lack of sleep being what ppl commonly refer to as overtraining. took this from an article on TNATION [FONT=HelveticaNeueeText55-Roman, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"A physiological state caused by an excess accumulation of physiological, psychological, emotional, environmental, and chemical stress that leads to a sustained decrease in physical and mental performance, and that requires a relatively long recovery period." bench pressing 5 days in a row will make your chest tris and shoulders sore as fuck, but look at powerlifters who regularly train with crazy weights multiple times a week or olympic athletes who do the same movements and [/FONT][FONT=HelveticaNeueeText55-Roman, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]body part training for 6-8 hours a day 6 days a week[/FONT]

Unless you're a very experienced lifter (Don't ego yourself here, the chances of you being an experienced lifter is probably null. This is usually professional athletes.), , the chances of you worrying about over-training, is most likely you just missing a meal. Over-training is not soreness. It is like the flu and most people have never experienced it.

Should probably be more worried about under-training.

Unless you're a very experienced lifter (Don't ego yourself here, the chances of you being an experienced lifter is probably null. This is usually professional athletes.), , the chances of you worrying about over-training, is most likely you just missing a meal. Over-training is not soreness. It is like the flu and most people have never experienced it.

Not sure if I agree, as I've felt this training 6x a week. You should be always progressing and having the desire to lift and be at the gym. When you're overtrained you just don't have it. And sleep suffers a bit too...

If you are sore for longer periods than it is over training.
I was going through my Ace manual of cpt and it clearly says that if you push yourself past a limit, you do more damage than you can heal, repair and grow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

focus on is quality sleep. (Hello My Pillow)
Do those things really make a difference in your sleep? The "My Pillow" pillows I mean. My wife has been after me to buy her two of them for months now. The problem is that she already uses eleven pillows. It's crazy! But that's another story.

IML Gear Cream!

Being a "professional lifter" (whatever that means) has nothing to do with overtraining.
Overtraining is caused by not allowing the myofibrils to repair before being damaged again; catalyst depletion from lifting and not consuming enough protein to produce muscle synthesis and CNS failure. This can happen to anyone.

Being a "professional lifter" (whatever that means) has nothing to do with overtraining.
Overtraining is caused by not allowing the myofibrils to repair before being damaged again; catalyst depletion from lifting and not consuming enough protein to produce muscle synthesis and CNS failure. This can happen to anyone.
It has almost everything to do with it as newer people don't even remotely have the ability to fire the CNS like a trained athlete. 100% max effort for someone training for 3 years is entirely different than 100% for a 10 year power-lifter.

This is why Strongman, Powerlifters and high performance athletes easily hit over-training and other athletes rarely ever hit it unless they're just being stupid with training.

And for other replies, soreness is not an indicator for over-training. It is not something that simply happens after a hard training session. It takes time for over-training to set in. And it feels very similar to what it feels like to have your E2 crash.
You ache, feel sick, random jolts of pain, and over-all feel like you've been trashed. It is NOT simply feeling sore and not wanting to go to the gym.

I know a lot of you think you train hard enough to hit over-training, but you don't.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/what-overtraining-is-and-isnt

Here is a better explanation. It is hormonal.

Last edited:
Do those things really make a difference in your sleep? The "My Pillow" pillows I mean. My wife has been after me to buy her two of them for months now. The problem is that she already uses eleven pillows. It's crazy! But that's another story.

Fuck yes they make a difference, go and get yourself a couple of goose down pillows. They aren't cheap but it's definitely a great investment.

Pillows make a shit ton difference in sleep quality if you can find the pillow for "you".

Pillows make a shit ton difference in sleep quality if you can find the pillow for "you".
I have to sleep on a very flat pillow.

If my head is propped up too much it will worsen my sleep apnea and my CPAP machine air pressure will increase to the point where it wakes me up.

Strange, I know.

generally I will only train 3-4 days a week heavy, on aas. you grow when resting not lifting. proper recovery is just as important as a good workout IMO. I woulden't train more than 4 days a week personally.

That's how I am too. I have a tough time sleeping on a big or fat pillow. That's why I'm skeptical of those "my pillow" ones. They look pretty fat to me.
Exactly, everytime I see the commercial I say "not for me"

Get Shredded!
There's a difference in muscular over training and cns function.

The first thing would be, what type of training are you doing. If you're a strength athlete, cns will probably take a hit before your body. Vice versa for a "bodybuilder".

Soreness is NOT always a sign of over training. It can be anything. Lacking something in your diet, a new stimulus, lack of sleep and rest (this doesn't mean you're over trained it means you're under rested).

I'll agree with both sides. Typically most people CAN'T over train, they simply don't recover properly.

They are "over training" and take a day or two off so they can get adequate recovery time and nutrients to support the workload and then they're fine.

Here's my suggestion if you think you're over training, decrease volume. Easy fix. Or, increase days of while keeping volume the same.

There's a difference in muscular over training and cns function.

The first thing would be, what type of training are you doing. If you're a strength athlete, cns will probably take a hit before your body. Vice versa for a "bodybuilder".

But can't your bones, tendons, and ligaments be over stressed from strength training too? That can be a form of over training also if you're training with close to your maximum poundages too many times per week

But can't your bones, tendons, and ligaments be over stressed from strength training too? That can be a form of over training also if you're training with close to your maximum poundages too many times per week
In terms of tendons and ligaments, I would be more concerned with form, mobility and strengthening muscles surrounding those things. If those three are taken care of you should be fine.

Most all soft tissue injuries are from form or, a lack of supporting muscles to stabilize the area which will shift the load off of the intended target to compensate.

I'll be honest, I'm not eating as much as I do when I'm on. It's difficult to "force eat" for me so I keep my meals small so I can eat again in 2-3 hours. I'm going to run some Eq next time around to help with appetite.

I know it's not from not getting enough sleep. I sleep well.

I thought over training could occur on a 2 1/2 hour leg or chest day, being that I'm "off" right now. I'm trying to keep the same intensity in my workouts and there is definitely a longer recovery time. It must be I'm just not consuming as much as I did before.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Back