• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Fish

movingsteel 79

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
What's everyone's favorite fish in their diet.??

While shopping this weekend I came across 5lbs of Tilapia for $16. I ate Tilapia a couple times years ago. Texture was piss poor and it was mushy and gelatinous. Haven't eaten it since and I tried different ways of preparing it., but couldn't get past that texture of mushy gelatin. It really had no taste to it either.

I normally get Cod as it's a great firm and flaky fish. Taste is great and can prepare it many ways and it always good. It's $7.99lb. So for 5lbs of Cod it's $40. Just wondering what fish you guys like or may suggest. How is the Tilapia nowadays.?? I almost bought it to give it a try again cuz the price is so great. My other favorites below depend on specials/sales...

Salmon = Any Salmon EXCEPT farm raised junk.
Copper River Salmon is super dank but
a little pricey. Pacific NW Silver(Coho)
Salmon is great too.

Halibut
Mahi Mahi
Tuna (Only RAW)
Orange Roughy
Chilean Sea Bass
Haddock
Flounder
Walleye
Grouper
Shark Steaks

Hell I like almost ALL fish except that Tilapia.
Just wondering the quality of it nowadays. WHAT DO YOU GUYS PREFER AS YOUR FAVORITE FISH...and WHY.??

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Tilapia eat shit. It's their primary diet. In farms they feed a special pelletized food of who knows what? Swai (or Bassa) is even more fucking disgusting. There's a reason both of these fish smell and taste like dirt.

Some good fish are Sole and Snook, to add to your list. Cod, Orange Roughy, grouper are good to me as well.
The problem with fish is that commercially they can be called almost anything. The aforementioned Swai is actually a catfish but through some loophole, they market it as anything but.

Sturgeon eat shit too but tastes great, especially smoked.

Not their primary diet though. My dogs eat turds but I wouldn't say their diet is shit.
There are plenty of marine creatures that eat shit but a clean and delicious. Shrimp and lobster come to the top of the list.
Tilapia and basa are just fucking nasty.

Halibut is my favorite.
Ruffy
Trout
Rock
Flounder
Cod
To name a few.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

My favorites are swordfish and thresher shark. I have not seen thresher shark for some time, is it endangered now?

Chilean Sea Bass is awesome but hard to get sometimes.

Ono and albacore is good.

Halibut and Mahi Mahi are my weekly mainstays.

Cod and rockfish are okay and eat them sometimes.

Salmon, meh, kind of burned out on it.

Yellowfin or Yellowtail? One I like and the other I hate but cannot remember which is which.

Do not care for Orange Roughy.

Fuck Tilapia, 100% garbage fish. I would rather eat tuna fish out of the can.

Any fish without the sea food stench and spines. Not a fish fan but i will est it if i have to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IML Gear Cream!
My favorites are swordfish and thresher shark. I have not seen thresher shark for some time, is it endangered now?

Chilean Sea Bass is awesome but hard to get sometimes.

Ono and albacore is good.

Halibut and Mahi Mahi are my weekly mainstays.

Cod and rockfish are okay and eat them sometimes.

Salmon, meh, kind of burned out on it.

Yellowfin or Yellowtail? One I like and the other I hate but cannot remember which is which.

Do not care for Orange Roughy.

Fuck Tilapia, 100% garbage fish. I would rather eat tuna fish out of the can.
I love me some Swordfish steaks as well., same with Shark...I noticed I haven't seen ANY Thresher shark for long time. I get frozen Mako where I live and it's good but seems a little fishy compared to Thresher...good heads up on "endangered"...I asked numerous people in seafood departments and even "Whooleys Seafood" "experts" in Pittsburgh PA. couldn't give me an answer as to why all the Shortfin Mako but no Thresher was available. Thanks for that info man.!!

Thanks for the input guys.,!! I really doubt I'm gonna waste time now with that Tilapia. It doesn't sound like it has changed one bit since the last I tried it.
I'll stick to my favorites. Appreciate the feedback.!!!

My favorites are swordfish and thresher shark.

Yellow fin is tuna. Also called Ahi. Yellow tail is a long fish, sort of an Amberjack. They call it Jurel here. We also see a lot of Amberjack they call Pez Fuerte. All three of these fish are the primary sushi fish here. When I was eating fish, we ate those three several times a week.
Never see shark on any menus anymore. Eating of swordfish is sort of frowned upon as they are the big source of cash here for the sport fishing industry. Almost all are catch and release. The only marlin you see on menus is smoked marking, which is delicious.
Lots of Dorado/Mahi-mahi eaten here too. This is a serious fish eating town.

Yellow fin is tuna. Also called Ahi. Yellow tail is a long fish, sort of an Amberjack. They call it Jurel here. We also see a lot of Amberjack they call Pez Fuerte. All three of these fish are the primary sushi fish here. When I was eating fish, we ate those three several times a week.
Never see shark on any menus anymore. Eating of swordfish is sort of frowned upon as they are the big source of cash here for the sport fishing industry. Almost all are catch and release. The only marlin you see on menus is smoked marking, which is delicious.
Lots of Dorado/Mahi-mahi eaten here too. This is a serious fish eating town.
That's it!!

Yellowfin or Ahi is awesome!

I like it just cooked on the outside and raw in the middle.

I love me some Swordfish steaks as well., same with Shark...I noticed I haven't seen ANY Thresher shark for long time. I get frozen Mako where I live and it's good but seems a little fishy compared to Thresher...good heads up on "endangered"...I asked numerous people in seafood departments and even "Whooleys Seafood" "experts" in Pittsburgh PA. couldn't give me an answer as to why all the Shortfin Mako but no Thresher was available. Thanks for that info man.!!

I think I heard a few years ago Thresher Shark is becoming an endangered species(?)

Might be why we do not see it.

I'm like a bishop, my favorite fish is nun.

I think I heard a few years ago Thresher Shark is becoming an endangered species(?)

Might be why we do not see it.
I could see that being the case. Fisherman often drop those mile long gill nets and sharks especially become a victim to those nets. Often fins are cut off and the shark is thrown back.

Get Shredded!
But he has an agreement with sharks. He doesn't eat them and they don't eat him.
Until they do.

But he has an agreement with sharks. He doesn't eat them and they don't eat him.
Until they do.
Lol.^^^. Good one Cabo.!! ..and knowing how superstitious some surfers are I bet what u mentioned is on point with some of them.

To FLIPPER : I am so jelly of the adrenaline rush you must have had in your avi.!!! 🤙

I've been on Oahu diving under the linenup and watched massive female tiger sharks pacing back and forth underneath the surfers. Those fuckers eat a fair amount of people in Hawaii, I think. Not like California Great Whites that bite and let go.

Tigers are the worst, they hunt you, not like Whitey who happens to swim along and tries a bite.

And Coach is spot on, I have an unspoken "we don't eat each other" agreement with the landlord. We also have an agreement that if he shows me a fin I'll get out of the water... fast.

Last edited:
Fresh atlantic cod. Fresh caught scallops

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

i dont really eat cooked fish,, i do sushi grade raw tuna a few times a week. its a bit pricey though

Favorite is salmon, trout and bass, catfish is good deep fried but not so healthy at that point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Back