• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

BJJ and lifting

Murse32

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Was thinking of taking up Brazilian Jiu Jitsu with the wife and kid. I like the idea of being able murder someone as a family... Anyone out there doing any BJJ and AAS? How do you modify your training? I'm not a competitive bodybuilder or anything anyway.... just like to have a lot of muscle and look good naked. I currently do a 4-day split and work 12-hour hospital shifts on the other 3 days. BJJ will likely be 2 nights a week, and on Saturday mornings. Not sure if I should cut back on lifting or focus more on certain areas (I.e. Train for strength more/less, accessory muscles more/less...). I don't want to burn myself out or overwork anything and get injured.... but I also don't want to become a BJJ assassin who looks like he doesn't even lift.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do it.... BJJ was one of the most rewarding things i ever invested my time to. And my opinion stands for your family as well. I creates a personal environment in which you learn and grow and learn humility. Its a super positive focus and becomes a kind of positive addiction that makes you a better athlete and a better person. In fact the community in a gym is supportive and everyone is reaching for the same goal.... its incredible. For kids it makes total sense too. They look forward to it and thru the day to day they find self control and discipline. They actually look forward to it and in a weird way its like meditation. Its one of the most self rewarding things ive ever involved myself with.

the cool part is the alpha vs nerd shit gets tossed out the window... it forces everyone to throw out their ego and just work, and given its a full on 100% effort everyone learns to find a balance cuz at anytime everyone gets checks. Its zen like

ive been trying to get JR to put his kid in it.... its really interesting how kids respond to it and i saw it when i coached. They just "get it" for a lack of a better term.... boys and girls both.

Last edited:
If you have the opportunity to do it as a family I would be all over that, your kid will be out of the house living their own lives before you know it so if you can find something to do as a family jump on it!

As far as the training goes I would just see how the rest of the family likes it and how often they want to train and how committed they (and you) are before making any drastic changes. Then slowly make the changes you think you need. Extra mass can be both detrimental and beneficial, you will have to learn to conserve energy. The biggest problem with stronger guys is they want to muscle everything and that will burn you out fast on the ground. Extra mass can get in the way in terms of mobility at times as well. But if you're doing it for fun, exercise, family time, then don't sweat it. Maybe your goals in the future will change maybe they wont, not a decision that needs to be made today.

I was a boxer in my late teens and was a competitive Bodybuilder at the same time. Dropped the boxing to get into Fitness more.

A few years back, I also trained for about a year (1x per week) with an MMA gym. Learning some techniques and methods. Definitely was insane working out.

I was also competing in Strongman, Bodybuilding and Highland games and I weighed a very muscular 220lbs at 5'8. I struggled with my breathing on the mat. Was holding way too much bodyweight and also was too inflexible. The AAS I was on was making me winded. I was tossing guys around left and right, but if I had to last 3 rounds I was almost hyperventilating. If I had to get into it more seriously I'd just stay on a low dose HRT protocol, no orals and maybe even jump on some GW-501516. That's how I would personally attack it from the start.

I still loved every minute of it..but in no way was I optimal. When I was a LW boxer, I was weaker but far better conditioned which to me makes more sense.

Pretty cool you posted this up. I was just talking to my family about going back to some light training 1x per week. A UFC fighter , Teixeira Glover has a gym literally 1 mile from my house and that is where he trains out of. Thinking to go 1x per week, nothing serious but just touching up on some skills and having something else that I enjoy in my life as well. All I do now is work and take care of/spend time with our kids/family. I love it, but I have Zero life outside of that.

Good luck to you man :)

ive been considering this myself. the only good one near me is exspensive. what makes me want to do it so bad isnt the whole bjj thing but more so the awesome cardio.

The first thing you must do is adapt to the BJJ pace. Wrestling, striking (MT KK and boxing) and weight training are at a "Bam, Bam, Bam" pace. When you hit the ground you want to slow your pace down. It is cliché, but your BJJ should be like water. Relax.....you are going to get tapped a lot by guys much smaller and weaker than you. That is part of the learning process.

Also, sport BJJ has become less and less effective for self defense, keep that in mind. The BJJ guys (I am a purple belt) think that BJJ alone makes them a serious bad ass in a street fight. They do very little stand up and or wrestling yet still think they can take down a striker with a wrestling background.

Having said that, it is a wonderful martial art. Very technical. Although I don't like sport BJJ, it is still far and away the best art once you hit the mat.

I was a boxer in my late teens and was a competitive Bodybuilder at the same time. Dropped the boxing to get into Fitness more.

A few years back, I also trained for about a year (1x per week) with an MMA gym. Learning some techniques and methods. Definitely was insane working out.

I was also competing in Strongman, Bodybuilding and Highland games and I weighed a very muscular 220lbs at 5'8. I struggled with my breathing on the mat. Was holding way too much bodyweight and also was too inflexible. The AAS I was on was making me winded. I was tossing guys around left and right, but if I had to last 3 rounds I was almost hyperventilating. If I had to get into it more seriously I'd just stay on a low dose HRT protocol, no orals and maybe even jump on some GW-501516. That's how I would personally attack it from the start.

I still loved every minute of it..but in no way was I optimal. When I was a LW boxer, I was weaker but far better conditioned which to me makes more sense.

Pretty cool you posted this up. I was just talking to my family about going back to some light training 1x per week. A UFC fighter , Teixeira Glover has a gym literally 1 mile from my house and that is where he trains out of. Thinking to go 1x per week, nothing serious but just touching up on some skills and having something else that I enjoy in my life as well. All I do now is work and take care of/spend time with our kids/family. I love it, but I have Zero life outside of that.

Good luck to you man :)

Glover Teixeira!! That's Awsome. Seems like a super nice guy

I've been training jits my entire adult life, in my early years I received NO RANK, it wasn't until my later years I went for rank. I got involved solely after wresting in the 90's but it was more traditional Japaneses style (it was the only school we had around).. I went to wresting clubs here and there, but feel in love with jits, off and on, off and on I went for years.. After going to many fly by night schools, I found a home along with it's HUGE affiliates schools. I've compete in local events naga,grapplers quest and such and even made a noble attempt to place in the pam-ams (high level competitors).. Most of the guys in our affiliate only place in pam-ams and ADCC trails with worl ranks.. Great family of some elite guys and gals..

Its an amazing way of life, for family, kids, wife and such.. If you find the right school it because like a church, the mats are full of smiles and hugs and everyone willing to assist and learn, teach and better themselves.. I've seen some amazing transformations in mature adult men coming in over weight, and in fact a few turned out to be some studs, super great looking guys, fit and they just glow compared to what they were the day they walked on the mat scared and desperate for change..

Many of us use AAS but not on the scale that you think..Some guys train a few days a week and are monsters, and others just use test/eq and peps and train 5-7 days a week and are lean mean machines that can be someones worst nightmare..

Do it for the experience, you'll love it.. There's no greater place to be than on the mats, I dont care where you are, or who you are, find a mat and train jits TODAY!

Good points, Vision. If someone is training in martial arts 2-3 days a week (3 is best if you want to progress) and still maintaining a bodybuilding program the purpose of their steroid stack is to enhance recovery. You want to maintain strength while your MA skills grow.

I have found that 400 mgs test, 300EQ and one halo prior to training/competing is an excellent stack.

Back